Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jnewell9 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A rational way to understand the OP's question is that she means occasionally having some diet soda instead of water.

I suppose if you are someone given to extremes you would assume she meant drinking only diet soda, never water, but I think that's silly, so won't insult her by assuming that's what she's saying unless she specifically clarifies.

I hope you're right. Swap the term "water" for anything else and you would assume a wholesale swap.
    "Swap all my water" wasn't the question. And, no, I wouldn't generally assume a wholesale swap, but a situational one, unless it were specified to be a wholesale swap.

I don't assume people are only going to be drinking tea when they ask the question in the context of tea, for example.

• jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned: Don't get between an addict and their compulsion.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    That is just a silly comment.

Just because people are saying drinking diet soda is not harmful does not mean they are addicted to it.

How about Lesson learned. Don't make nonsense claims with no scientific validity.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

IE: I have nothing to back up my statements so I will just insult anyone who doesn't believe me.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Where did that even come from? You took quite a leap with that comment.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Lesson learned: don't try to argue with the uninformed.

:lol:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    tin_foil_hat_cat_thumb.jpg
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and lost X pounds in the first month!

**fails to mention that they also were consuming less calories than they expended, but oh no, it was totallyyyyy the diet soda
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A rational way to understand the OP's question is that she means occasionally having some diet soda instead of water.

I suppose if you are someone given to extremes you would assume she meant drinking only diet soda, never water, but I think that's silly, so won't insult her by assuming that's what she's saying unless she specifically clarifies.

I hope you're right. Swap the term "water" for anything else and you would assume a wholesale swap.

I never drank soda, diet or otherwise, but recently someone dropped off a few bottles and I tried it. I struggle to remember to drink, but somehow I craved the flavor of diet soda and ended up drinking three more cups than I would have otherwise. I have no intentions of swapping my water for soda, but wanted to know if it counted toward my daily hydration needs or was something to stay away from and avoid.
    Thanks everyone for giving me tons of info to look at and make an educated decision.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I guess if you can stand the taste...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    I guess if you can stand the taste...

Well that goes for everything and. Just seems a silly thing to say.

Obviously if someone doesn't like the taste of diet soda ( or anything else) there is no point in consuming it. B)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dropped 9 pounds my first week, and all I did was quit drinking diet soda. I was drinking over a liter a day at the time. It seemed to keep water on me, and I notice I don't crave sweets as much without it.

This is very true- and it must be addictive because even though I quit drinking it for a few weeks and had a visible change in my stomach- it was flat (never happened before) but yet I went right back to it... drinking a cherry coke zero right now!!! Thanks for reminding me what a good idea it is to quit! This is my last one LOL (never said that before!) ;-)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    In for "brain holes", "toxins", "chemicals", "poison" and all other scary names for artificial sweeteners.

Hold on, let me get my Diet Coke first.

I want my brain nice and porous so the ridiculousness goes right through it.

LOL
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    pixtaker wrote: »
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

Too many variables in the control groups over the course of 10 years to come to this conclusion. Both before and after the study such as, What were there calorie intake before during and after, what kind of physical condition were they in before during and after, and what type of physical activity did they do before, during and after. Way too many variables and unknowns.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say that I'm reading this thread while drinking a Diet Coke, but the drink isn't cold and watering down a super hot drink with ice is never good :s
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...Monsanto thanks you all for you advocacy. IMHO, There is something seriously wrong with a message board that can't say water is better than diet soda. That doesn't even pass the giggle test.

Gotta love a board that promotes hard data over pop culture.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/monsantos-past.aspx

Splenda is manufactured by Tate & Lyle in the UK and Johnson & Johnson in the US. You are confusing Splenda with Aspartame. Different products. Kraft foods manufactures macaroni and cheese and Mio.

Is tea better than coffee? If so, should we all ditch one over the other? Which milk is superior to all the others, and once we figure that out, should we advocate getting rid of the others?

Since I must monitor my fluid intake, my biggest hazard is boredom. If I limited my liquids to water alone, you'd have to lock me in the funny farm by now.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    diet coke is ok, but I don't use it as a replacement for pure water. Ok, drink the dcoke but drink your water,you will feel much better. If it is to boring try adding lemon/lome and ginger
  • jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This thread always bugged me and, yeah, I could've maybe handled myself better, but the idea that people would not acknowledge that water was better than diet soda simply blew my mind. So, here's apparently the latest information:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/drink/why-you-should-stop-drinking-diet-soft-drink/news-story/4f54559d32586cddade9c0416c7539e2