Overweight gym staff

Options

Replies

• TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You guys realize that calling judgmental people judgmental is passing judgement.

Oh crud I just passed judgement. ...and I passed judgement on myself.

...and again.

*kitten*! Oh how do I get out of this vicious cycle?

Judge without mercy, it is the only way
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have overheard really fit trainers at the gym I go to, give questionable weight loss advice. I don't look to my gym's staff to give me weight loss advice but they sure as shooten' better give good weight lifting advice. I want them to know every machine in the place, things are clean, and towels are stocked. Perhaps a less than perfect gym bodied trainer makes other less than perfect bodies feel less intimidated.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be super in shape or super lean to be a good trainer (as someone mentioned, it could be an obese power lifter) but I want someone who practices what they preach. In the beginning, as you choose a trainer, you don't have a lot to go on as far as their skills (other than word of mouth)

I would rather choose someone I can see it's working for.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    In the absence of other information, choosing a fitness expert based on their fitness level is completely logical.

As a consumer, it's not my job to dig under the surface and educate myself about a company's offerings - it's a company's obligation to make that information clear to me.

If you are the consumer looking to hire a trainer, you should do your own research, in my opinion. You should have a proactive interest in your money and your health with the company involved.

If one is not willing to educate him or herself before making an important decision, then the consumer is opening him or herself up to disappointment at best, or worse, personal injury.

It is no different buying a house. If a consumer is wise, he or she does not go by the word of the agent who says there are no problems with the house before purchase. The consumer gets an inspection done. The consumer gets a title deed search done. The consumer checks the license of the agent involved.

What? Do you really approach hiring a trainer the same way you would a house? Fantastic. How do they react when the inspector shines his flashlight around their buttresses?

Personally, I would just as soon watch them work with other clients or base my decision off appearance. If I choose incorrectly, well, good thing I'm constantly open to the possibility of disappointment.

Personally (and this is just me) I would choose based on the personal recommendation of someone I trusted, who succeeded with them as their trainer.

Anything else is just various forms of advertising, really.

Well, that's the best way. But assuming those resources aren't available and the FBI background check Basic pulls comes back clean, all I have is what I see.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    In the absence of other information, choosing a fitness expert based on their fitness level is completely logical.

As a consumer, it's not my job to dig under the surface and educate myself about a company's offerings - it's a company's obligation to make that information clear to me.

If you are the consumer looking to hire a trainer, you should do your own research, in my opinion. You should have a proactive interest in your money and your health with the company involved.

If one is not willing to educate him or herself before making an important decision, then the consumer is opening him or herself up to disappointment at best, or worse, personal injury.

It is no different buying a house. If a consumer is wise, he or she does not go by the word of the agent who says there are no problems with the house before purchase. The consumer gets an inspection done. The consumer gets a title deed search done. The consumer checks the license of the agent involved.

What? Do you really approach hiring a trainer the same way you would a house? Fantastic. How do they react when the inspector shines his flashlight around their buttresses?

Personally, I would just as soon watch them work with other clients or base my decision off appearance. If I choose incorrectly, well, good thing I'm constantly open to the possibility of disappointment.

That is what she will never say.

Who is this "she" to whom you are referring?
  • daniwilford
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am not sure this is totally relevant but often the best teachers for us slow learners are those who have or do struggle with what we are trying to learn. If it came easy for the teacher will they how can they advise me with the needed patience when it doesn't come so easy for me.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    I am not sure this is totally relevant but often the best teachers for us slow learners are those who have or do struggle with what we a trying to learn. If it came easy for the teacher will they how can they advise me with the needed patience when it doesn't come so easy for me.

But then you're making the judgment that a person who is fit hasn't ever struggled or lacks empathy for those who struggle. And we're back to judging based on appearance.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am not sure this is totally relevant but often the best teachers for us slow learners are those who have or do struggle with what we a trying to learn. If it came easy for the teacher will they how can they advise me with the needed patience when it doesn't come so easy for me.

But then you're making the judgment that a person who is fit hasn't ever struggled or lacks empathy for those who struggle. And we're back to judging based on appearance.

Yes, very well said

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am not sure this is totally relevant but often the best teachers for us slow learners are those who have or do struggle with what we are trying to learn. If it came easy for the teacher will they how can they advise me with the needed patience when it doesn't come so easy for me.

Sure. But...doesn't that require making a judgement that the teacher actually had it "easy"....?

So we're right back to making judgements.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Better get rid of all the male OB/GYNs since they are obviously "unqualified" for pregnancy and birthing advice.

That's different the birthing process is the same for every woman (unless getting a c section which again is the same for any woman that gets one) contractions, pushing, crowning, the vagina having to be wide enough to a certain length. More to it but it is something that is constant. Just because a man can't feel contractions doesn't mean he doesn't knyow what goes on biologically when one occurs.

The other glaring difference: an obese trainer has the option of becoming a thinner, fitter one. A male OB/GYN doesn't have the option of becoming a female OB/GYN (well, not without surgery...and even so, I don't believe will be able to experience birth). Apples and oranges, bad analogy.

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It's just a bulk, bro.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Could not read all the replies...cause well...8 pages. I have started this exact thread before on these forums as my gym has a few large trainers and a few obese trainers.

To me, if you are a trainer, your body is your billboard. Your advertisement. If you can't put into effect the things you are going to have me do, then you aren't a trainer I want. Are there outlying circumstances? Sure, but that is a general thought I have.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Therein lies a logical problem. If you are needing a trainer, you most likely do not have the tools to "logically" evaluate trainers.

So you resort to what you can actually verify - which is their own fitness level.

100% logical, under the circumstances.

I can't go to a obese powerlifter who can squat 1000 pounds? My goals are to be shredded. Where is bruce lee students at? or is it students' students?

Geez, how many obese powerlifter who can squat 1000 pounds do you know?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Therein lies a logical problem. If you are needing a trainer, you most likely do not have the tools to "logically" evaluate trainers.

So you resort to what you can actually verify - which is their own fitness level.

100% logical, under the circumstances.

I can't go to a obese powerlifter who can squat 1000 pounds? My goals are to be shredded.

You can go wherever you like - it's your choice, and it's not my place to say your choice is wrong for you.

:drinker:

Your logic. I don't get it. You would feel that choice is wrong base on the fact that he is the opposite if my goals. Big and stocky means strong and slow. Lean and mean means . . . . lets spar powerlifter.

Huh?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't let looks deceive you. Here is a woman that is 300 pounds plus, that does ultra marathons and is also a high school running coach.
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/news-ultramarathons-obesity-072415/
  • atypicalsmith
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hearthwood wrote: »
    Don't let looks deceive you. Here is a woman that is 300 pounds plus, that does ultra marathons and is also a high school running coach.
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/news-ultramarathons-obesity-072415/

She looks like all muscle to me. Also, the article says she is 250 pounds.
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I definitely think you should practice what you preach. If you don't have a healthy physique I wouldn't even consider hiring you to train me
  • daniwilford
    edited August 2015
    Options

I said nothing about judging by appearance in the post you replied to. I was only thinking of a brilliant High School Math teacher who had trouble with Math as a kid. He gave credit for his math teaching skills to the difficulty he encountered on the way to a BS in Math Education.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

Yep pretty much unqualified. Baring some medical issues losing a bunch of weight and regaining it does not indicate the ability to give diet advice. If they knew what they were doing they would not have gained the weight back.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

Yep pretty much unqualified. Baring some medical issues losing a bunch of weight and regaining it does not indicate the ability to give diet advice. If they knew what they were doing they would not have gained the weight back.

EXACTLY!