Overweight gym staff

Options

Replies

• Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There seems to be ALOT of judgmental, unsatisfied, shallow people on MFP. I don't understand how the original comment from OP has gone to fat, skinny doctor's, nurses, drug addicts, alcoholics, people with a disability ect ect? I have NEVER read so much bull**** in all my life. If your not HAPPY with your personal trainer or people at your gym then leave and find one that's up to your standard's. But from what I've read on here a lot of people will never be satisfied. Keep dieting and exercising and move on. Rant over!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    There seems to be ALOT of judgmental, unsatisfied, shallow people on MFP. I don't understand how the original comment from OP has gone to fat, skinny doctor's, nurses, drug addicts, alcoholics, people with a disability ect ect? I have NEVER read so much bull**** in all my life. If your not HAPPY with your personal trainer or people at your gym then leave and find one that's up to your standard's. But from what I've read on here a lot of people will never be satisfied. Keep dieting and exercising and move on. Rant over!!!

What, do you mean like you?

You know this is what's called a discussion, right?

Judgey post is judgey!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Some of us enjoy debating, stretching our minds, seeking others opinions, opening ourselves to points of views we wouldn't have considered before. It is how a lot of us learn. I think it's sad that anyone WOULDN'T want to do this.

As other posters have pointed out, judging people on their appearance is natural; it's a natural defence mechanism if anything. 'That thing looks bad so lets avoid it'. That doesn't make it right, and we know that a lot of the time our first impressions can be waaaaaay off because just looking at someone really isn't enough to tell you anything about them!

You can't deny that we all have that instinct to judge what we see in a split second; it is knowing to cast aside that initial judgement and look a little deeper.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.

you aint getting bigger doing no body pump class unless you are in a calorie surplus. low reps of high weight is better than high reps of low weight for gaining strength.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think society is showing us that average sized people are overweight. I don't know how "overweight" these trainers are, but I don't think you need to be "perfect" looking to be a trainer. If you have completed the qualifications then you are qualified to give advice, even if they are over average sized. Their weight doesn't make them any less qualified to give advice. It just means they struggle with the same issues you do, technically they are more relatable. Plus it is discriminatory to hire based on weight, so are they to be fired because of their weight even though they have the knowledge? I know I expect trainers to look a certain way too, but that does not mean that I am right in doing it. I would hate to be prejudiced against for my weight, regardless of the industry I work in. I am studying science and hope to one day become a doctor, I hope to be at a healthier/ideal weight by then, but are my years of study worthless if I'm not?

Interesting topic, I hope people enjoy my contributions. :)
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If it worries you that much go to a different gym
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

People make decisions all the time, sometimes that involves judging on the information available. If you havent realised it your post is judging other posters.

If you dont understand how the conversation varied onto other professions, then you should read the thread and appreciate what people are discussong instead of getting upset. As far as I saw it was posters who were giving examples of similar situations where you are seeking advice from someone who gives the outside appearance of not following it.

Do as I say not as I do. That will create suspicion and trust issues for many people about whether the information is good. Seem perfectly reasonable examples to me, so I cna only think you didnt bother to take the time to understand the points being made.

As for your judgment of never being satisfied and shallow, its merely a thread and a debate about the point the OP raises. It doesnt have to reflect the posters own belief in whether to listen to the person giving advice or not.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You guys realize that calling judgmental people judgmental is passing judgement.

Oh crud I just passed judgement. ...and I passed judgement on myself.

...and again.

*kitten*! Oh how do I get out of this vicious cycle?

I am fascinated by people who claim to be able to shut off their cognitive functions, and in a display of amazing physiological political correctness, have convinced their brains to stop processing information and arriving at conclusions...another word for that is "judging". I mean, they train their synapses to quit firing in harsh ways and be more laid back and happy-go-lucky? Gnarly!

QFT, this is my very favorite post in this thread. Every human judges, even those who claim that they don't, or those who try very hard not to voice it. Observe + assess. If we didn't judge, how would anyone ever make a decision about anything? No one's judgment will be accurate 100% of the time.

In this particular situation described, I'd personally judge the OP's rant to be...well, justified, especially based on the poor advice overheard. If/when in doubt, it's probably best to just talk with the trainer-in-question and then decide if they fit your training expectations. If they don't, there are lots of other gyms, etc. Personally, I would seek out a fit fitness trainer; I would not seek out an obese trainer.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how disabled people got brought into this at all. Of course people with disabilities can be trainers. There are many excellent athletes that have physical or mental disabilities. I would not have a concern in the world about hiring a disabled trainer. But being fat is not a disability. And if you have gained so much weight that it IS a disability (as in, can't leave your bed), then I really have no sympathy, because it was a choice all the way there. Even people with medical conditions (myself included) that can affect weight gain/loss have to follow the same CICO formula. I was never overweight, but I got to the higher end of my healthy BMI through choices, not because of anything out of my control.

It isn't mean or bad of me to look at a trainer who is overweight and decide, with NO OTHER INFORMATION, to keep looking. And I'd probably have the thought, "Well, that seems odd." And I think people are muddying the waters by choosing to define "overweight" or "obese" as having a few extra pounds or someone with low BF and high muscle mass. That's obviously not what OP was talking about. Can the overweight/obese trainer still be a trainer? Absolutely, maybe even a great one that would have been able to help me immensely. I have no problem with their personal choices or their chosen profession. Will I hire them? No, I will most likely not. I am attached to my money, sorry not sorry. When I choose to spend it on extras for myself, like a PT or a gym membership, I'm going to feel like I am getting the best possible option for myself. So absolutely I will judge the gym, the staff, the PT, etc. And that is a fine choice for me that hurts absolutely no one. If you want to give the fat trainer a chance because you think it's more likely that they have rare, extenuating circumstances than that they just can't apply their own teachings, then that is a fine choice for you.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Fyi someone posted a picture of someone who was disabled, but posed in such a way that it was difficul to tell. She was in lingerie. they posed the question about whether they looked disabled and whether you would pick them for a PT. the pictures and posts seem to have been removed.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments have been that you care more about whether they give good advice rather than whether they are fit. Let's talk about that... if I know whether the advice I'm receiving is good advice or bad advice, then why am I paying for it?! If I am an expert on the topic, I wouldn't hire a personal trainer. I would only hire someone for expertise that I don't have myself.

I'm an accountant, so I do my own taxes. But I take my pets to the vet when they are sick because I'm not a vet. When the vet suggests medicines and such, I don't usually know whether it is good advice or not. I just have to rely on trust - because I don't have the expertise the vet has. The best proof that a personal trainer can be effective is that they are fit. For a lot of professions which require specific knowledge, it isn't as obvious whether they really know the right stuff or not... so we have to trust them. When it comes to fitness experts, though, it is much simpler to know if they can be effective based on the results they exhibit in themselves. Their advice may be good or bad, and I would have no clue because if I'm paying for their help, I shouldn't already know what the right answer will be.

**Seriously, do you all really spend time and money to see an expert when you already know what to do? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I just value my time and money more than average.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments have been that you care more about whether they give good advice rather than whether they are fit. Let's talk about that... if I know whether the advice I'm receiving is good advice or bad advice, then why am I paying for it?! If I am an expert on the topic, I wouldn't hire a personal trainer. I would only hire someone for expertise that I don't have myself.

I'm an accountant, so I do my own taxes. But I take my pets to the vet when they are sick because I'm not a vet. When the vet suggests medicines and such, I don't usually know whether it is good advice or not. I just have to rely on trust - because I don't have the expertise the vet has. The best proof that a personal trainer can be effective is that they are fit. For a lot of professions which require specific knowledge, it isn't as obvious whether they really know the right stuff or not... so we have to trust them. When it comes to fitness experts, though, it is much simpler to know if they can be effective based on the results they exhibit in themselves. Their advice may be good or bad, and I would have no clue because if I'm paying for their help, I shouldn't already know what the right answer will be.

**Seriously, do you all really spend time and money to see an expert when you already know what to do? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I just value my time and money more than average.

Women who become pregnant and carry the extra weight can't go to work because they had a baby and people like you would judge that as they would give bad advice?

What does a trainers body have to do with your goals?

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    I don't understand the argument here. If you don't want an overweight gym employee/trainer than would you be equally displeased with an underweight very low body fat but also very little muscle mass, trainer? Because by the comments OP gave they would not want either since technically neither one is proporting the fitness lifestyle that they represent. I work in the healthcare field as a paramedic and see many overweight physicians and medics and nurses. I might understand if said doc or nurse worked at a bariatric clinic, but in the ER we treat emergencies, not give weight loss or fitness advice.

This is my journey, my responsibility, no one else's. It is all of our responsibility to learn as much as we can and use that knowledge to better ourselves individually. Figure out what works for you and do it.

Yes and I commented as much way upthread. I want lifting advice and I'm open to weight maintenance advice. If all I have to go on is the appearance of a particular personal trainer, I don't want someone who is very overweight or is skinny but flabby. I have a BMI of 21.1 and I'm flabby. What I need is someone to help me be unflabby.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

But then you're making the judgment that a person who is fit hasn't ever struggled or lacks empathy for those who struggle. And we're back to judging based on appearance.
    I said nothing about judging by appearance in the post you replied to. I was only thinking of a brilliant High School Math teacher who had trouble with Math as a kid. He gave credit for his math teaching skills to the difficulty he encountered on the way to a BS in Math Education.

You responded to a thread about appearance with a non sequitur, then. How would you know that a personal trainer hasn't struggled in the past? And do you really think someone struggling presently is the best choice as a trainer? By the way, I don't think most people trip and stumble into muscles. Genetic outliers exist, but most people with good bodies have put work into them.

BTW, I have no opinion on the bodies of desk staff, juice bar crew, maintenance, etc. I don't judge the bodies of the vast majority of people who cross my path. But if I'm choosing a trainer or asking someone for advice, I am going for the folks who appear to practice what they preach.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    I don't understand the argument here. If you don't want an overweight gym employee/trainer than would you be equally displeased with an underweight very low body fat but also very little muscle mass, trainer?
    Yes, and my focus in a fitness coach or personal trainer is how he or she was able to apply knowledge to produce inspiring results.
    If I hire a professional for anything, I want to hire the best, so I won't be hiring the real estate agent who never sold a home or a financial adviser who is not financially secure.
    And likewise, I'd never hire a personal trainer or fitness coach who is unfit and/or not in good health.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Isaack wrote:
    You're gonna have to put on a lot of muscle just to burn a few more calories.
    True.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-05-does-building-muscle-actually-increase-rmr-684479

I linked to & quoted from several articles, including this:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    "Claude Bouchard of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., who has authored several books and hundreds of scientific papers on the subject of obesity and metabolism... told me that muscle, it turns out, makes a fairly small contribution to RMR.
    ... based on the biochemical and metabolic literature, a pound of muscle burns six calories a day at rest and a pound of fat burns about two calories a day.
    ... muscle, contributes only 20-25% of total resting metabolism.
    ... intense aerobic activity like running burns twice as many calories per hour as hard weightlifting, and the metabolic boost from added muscle is not nearly enough to compensate for this difference..."

But here's why when you lift weights, you should work at a relatively high level (if you're physically capable):
    "When accounting for the same total volume of weight lifted (lifting 100 pounds three times is the same "volume" as lifting 300 pounds once), they found that when people lifted at 80% intensity, they burned three times as much energy as lifting at 20% intensity."
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ersacam wrote:
    you perceive them to be stupid because they are fatter than your acceptable standard.
    No, I perceive them to be fat because they're fat.
    So am/was I.
    If they know how to eat healthfully, what an acceptable calorie level is for them, how to maintain a healthy weight,
    etc., why aren't they doing it?
    Do they really not know, or do they not care?
    Ignorant or hypocritical, it doesn't matter much to me.
    If they think it's good advice, they should take it themselves.

You (usually) can't tell much about someone's IQ just by looking at them.

msf74 wrote:
    In the absence of a detailed exploration of what the person's qualifications are a fit appearance suggests more strongly that they are able to give better advice ("walking the walk") than someone who doesn't look as good.
    This. Exactly this.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    ersacam wrote:
    you perceive them to be stupid because they are fatter than your acceptable standard.
    No, I perceive them to be fat because they're fat.
    So am/was I.
    If they know how to eat healthfully, what an acceptable calorie level is for them, how to maintain a healthy weight,
    etc., why aren't they doing it?
    Do they really not know, or do they not care?
    Ignorant or hypocritical, it doesn't matter much to me.
    If they think it's good advice, they should take it themselves.

You (usually) can't tell much about someone's IQ just by looking at them.

msf74 wrote:
    In the absence of a detailed exploration of what the person's qualifications are a fit appearance suggests more strongly that they are able to give better advice ("walking the walk") than someone who doesn't look as good.
    This. Exactly this.

Not everyone practice what they preach.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the debate, although it has all got a bit snarky!

If you are in a professional position I think you should practice what you preach, the trainers are not outliers they are obese and they walk around with 'health maker' on their T-shirts which just doesn't ring true for me. Further, I didn't make this comment after seeing them once, I've seen them there for about 12 months and they have not lost weight. If they have excuses then I don't really want their advice, I have excuses, I want someone who can get past those! (also as someone pointed out, I came for an anonymous debate and not to shame those staff)

Yes if they had been on a journey rather than being fit all their life then I would respect their advice, my observation was based on my judgement that they did not seem to be getting healthier. I teach people how to be innovative and engaging teachers, if I do not teach in an innovative and engaging manner I do not deserve the respect or attention of those seeking to become good teachers.

Also, I think I might have something wrong about weights. If I eat in deficit, but maintain high protein and lift heavy weights will I not gain muscle? I think I am developing muscle, although maybe the fat is just disappearing, and I am able to lift progressively heavier weights. As far as I had read on USMP's posts I thought it was always better to try and lift heavy if you are able, than to do light weights?