Overweight gym staff

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Would you take advice on how to quit smoking from someone who continues to smoke, but allegedly "quit" smoking 15 or 20 times in his life?
  • patriciahutchinson89
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Better get rid of all the male OB/GYNs since they are obviously "unqualified" for pregnancy and birthing advice.

That's different the birthing process is the same for every woman (unless getting a c section which again is the same for any woman that gets one) contractions, pushing, crowning, the vagina having to be wide enough to a certain length. More to it but it is something that is constant. Just because a man can't feel contractions doesn't mean he doesn't knyow what goes on biologically when one occurs.

The other glaring difference: an obese trainer has the option of becoming a thinner, fitter one. A male OB/GYN doesn't have the option of becoming a female OB/GYN (well, not without surgery...and even so, I don't believe will be able to experience birth). Apples and oranges, bad analogy.

Uh yeah it is that's whybrid I didn't come up with it . Scroll up
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    How about taking advice from an alcoholic on how to quit drinking because he or she quit drinking once or twice for a few months, even though they now continue doing so? Is that being judgmental?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

Yep pretty much unqualified. Baring some medical issues losing a bunch of weight and regaining it does not indicate the ability to give diet advice. If they knew what they were doing they would not have gained the weight back.

Says the fallible, imperfect, does things he knows he shouldn't do at times forum member. And yet here you are deciding who isn't qualified to lead another fallible, imperfect human being in this area, just because he or she is overweight for reasons that you don't know.

Gaining weight back does not make one unqualified from giving sound advice.

Does the trainer give good, safe, sound advice that is applicable to your specific needs and goals?

Does the trainer motivate you to be the best you can be in the area of <insert subject here> ?

Do you get along well with the trainer and are you able to contact him or her when in need ?
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This woman looks fit enough, to be a personal trainer. Would it surprise you to learn; that she's paralyzed from the chest down & thus can't exercise below her chest?

No because her muscle tone is completely obviously flaccid like you would see in paralysis and the pose looks slightly unnatural because she's been unnaturally posed that way. Her stomach is a dead give away if you look for more than a few seconds.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    11755920_987929714603355_2285492747161656307_n.jpg?oh=3dd91753cf8359b7b9439fd2e5c4400f&oe=56521B6B
    This woman looks fit enough, to be a personal trainer. Would it surprise you to learn; that she's paralyzed from the chest down & thus can't exercise below her chest?

Hehe!
    I don't know about you my dear, but I don't pick out my personal trainers in bed!

ETA: Holy Photoshop Batman! A closeup do discover what was strapped to her leg has yielded so pretty awful touch up work. I don't think she even looks like that!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.

Yep pretty much unqualified. Baring some medical issues losing a bunch of weight and regaining it does not indicate the ability to give diet advice. If they knew what they were doing they would not have gained the weight back.

Says the fallible, imperfect, does things he knows he shouldn't do at times forum member. And yet here you are deciding who isn't qualified to lead another fallible, imperfect human being in this area, just because he or she is overweight for reasons that you don't know.

Does the trainer give good, safe, sound advice that is applicable to your specific needs and goals?

Does the trainer motivate you to be the best you can be in the area of <insert subject here> ?

Do you get along well with the trainer and are you able to contact him or her when in need ?

If a person lost weight and gained a bit back fine, but not to a level of obvoiusly overweight or obese. They should know how to avoid and fix the problem. Again, barring a medical issue.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    How about taking advice from an alcoholic on how to quit drinking because he or she quit drinking once or twice for a few months, even though they now continue doing so? Is that being judgmental?

Well I do take advise from my hairdresser who doesn't have like the best hair at all
    The girl who does my nails, she doesn't have the prettiest nails but damn she does a georgeus job
    I follow/like fashion advise from michael kors, you know the guy who only wears black jeans/t shirts
    My aunt; she is therapist and her patients love her, do you think all therapist have this perfect and balanced life?
    Life happens to everyone , if I would choose to live my life with the whole you don't play the part good enough, I would be missing pretty amazing people in my life.
    but hey that is just my personal experience.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Not holding myself out as someone that gives advice in things I fail several times at
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

The trainer having the body you aspire to does absolutely nothing to help YOU get it.

Their advice can help you get it if you are willing to put in the work.

You miss the point as usual. The fact he has got himself into shape shows that he knows how to do it. That will be enough for some people to make an initial preference and go for his taster session than someone who is overweight.

Nowhere did I state the stupid idea that being with a trainer you somehow by osmosis get to be in shape but its a good indication he has the knowledge to get there. That will be enough for some people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I suppose it comes down to why you hire a trainer. Many people seem to be assuming it's to learn to lose weight or keep weight off, and I don't think that's necessarily why. I saw a trainer to learn proper form for certain kinds of exercises and to put together a workout program that would work with my cardio efforts and strengthen muscles I needed strengthening/might not work enough on my own. Some of this piggybacked off of seeing a physical therapist first, and although my physical therapist was in good shape I doubt I would have rejected a referral to someone who wasn't.

I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing a trainer based on him or her having the kind of body you'd like or one who doesn't, but it's a funny thing to argue about when people have different goals in employing a trainer and different sources of information about their options.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    You don't have to be super in shape or super lean to be a good trainer (as someone mentioned, it could be an obese power lifter) but I want someone who practices what they preach. In the beginning, as you choose a trainer, you don't have a lot to go on as far as their skills (other than word of mouth)

I would rather choose someone I can see it's working for.

Absolutely but some people seem to think its totally illogical and unfair to go that way.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

Well I do take advise from my hairdresser who doesn't have like the best hair at all
    The girl who does my nails, she doesn't have the prettiest nails but damn she does a georgeus job
    I follow/like fashion advise from michael kors, you know the guy who only wears black jeans/t shirts
    My aunt; she is therapist and her patients love her, do you think all therapist have this perfect and balanced life?
    Life happens to everyone , if I would choose to live my life with the whole you don't play the part good enough, I would be missing pretty amazing people in my life.

What exactly does "life happens" mean? I see that written here so many times as an excuse as to why they go back to getting overweight. Life happens ALWAYS - otherwise you are dead. While you are alive, you can control stuff like gaining or losing weight, helping others, or planting gardens and giving the fruit of your labors to the poor. Saying "life happens" to justify gaining weight is such a weak excuse.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

What exactly does "life happens" mean? I see that written here so many times as an excuse as to why they go back to getting overweight. Life happens ALWAYS - otherwise you are dead. While you are alive, you can control stuff like gaining or losing weight, helping others, or planting gardens and giving the fruit of your labors to the poor. Saying "life happens" to justify gaining weight is such a weak excuse.

I agree- "Life happens" falls in the same category as "I'm too busy". People make priorities, or they make excuses.
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options

I think youd notice when you approached her for personal training that she was paralysed. Personal trainer arent normally posing in lingerie either.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I agree- "Life happens" falls in the same category as "I'm too busy". People make priorities, or they make excuses.

Several months ago I started a thread titled but I don't have TIME to exercise and you wouldn't believe the nasty comments I got, hah
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Who are those 'they' that you are talking about? what excuse and from who, I dont even know what and where are you coming from, when I said life happens means that we all go through ups and down that just what life is , very interesting that was all the got your atention from my post.. You keep going and living life with your perfect radar and I will keep giving a shot to those lazy people with weak excuses that I guess you are refering
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have seen overweight gym staff

But I guess health and fitness knowledge doesn't mean they put it to practice themselves. A vet doesn't need to own a horse to treat one.

But then again isn't it like taking tax/financial advice from someone convicted of tax fraud or Jimmy Carr.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This woman looks fit enough, to be a personal trainer. Would it surprise you to learn; that she's paralyzed from the chest down & thus can't exercise below her chest?.
    They went to heaps of trouble to doll her up with a pose, lingerie and photoshop but left in the urinary catheter?
    :o
    OUCH!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

If the advice you're looking for is "how do I not gain weight back?" then...yeah...it kinda does.