Overweight gym staff

Replies

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015

This woman looks fit enough, to be a personal trainer. Would it surprise you to learn; that she's paralyzed from the chest down & thus can't exercise below her chest?.
    They went to heaps of trouble to doll her up with a pose, lingerie and photoshop but left in the urinary catheter?
    :o
    OUCH!

There was a movement last year or so to encourage people with -ostomy bags to feel beautiful/sexy even with the bags. This picture might be related to that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/01/colostomy-bag-model-picture_n_5548863.html
    http://www.today.com/health/male-model-blake-beckford-poses-shirtless-ileostomy-bag-1D80024388
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

The trainer having the body you aspire to does absolutely nothing to help YOU get it.

Their advice can help you get it if you are willing to put in the work.

You miss the point as usual. The fact he has got himself into shape shows that he knows how to do it. That will be enough for some people to make an initial preference and go for his taster session than someone who is overweight.

Nowhere did I state the stupid idea that being with a trainer you somehow by osmosis get to be in shape but its a good indication he has the knowledge to get there. That will be enough for some people.

Most trainers have the knowledge to help you get it shape. But again, them looking good does absolutely nothing to help you.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    How about taking advice from an alcoholic on how to quit drinking because he or she quit drinking once or twice for a few months, even though they now continue doing so? Is that being judgmental?

Well I do take advise from my hairdresser who doesn't have like the best hair at all
    The girl who does my nails, she doesn't have the prettiest nails but damn she does a georgeus job
    I follow/like fashion advise from michael kors, you know the guy who only wears black jeans/t shirts
    My aunt; she is therapist and her patients love her, do you think all therapist have this perfect and balanced life?
    Life happens to everyone , if I would choose to live my life with the whole you don't play the part good enough, I would be missing pretty amazing people in my life.
    but hey that is just my personal experience.

What exactly does "life happens" mean? I see that written here so many times as an excuse as to why they go back to getting overweight. Life happens ALWAYS - otherwise you are dead. While you are alive, you can control stuff like gaining or losing weight, helping others, or planting gardens and giving the fruit of your labors to the poor. Saying "life happens" to justify gaining weight is such a weak excuse.

I agree- "Life happens" falls in the same category as "I'm too busy". People make priorities, or they make excuses.

Life can get in the way of exercise; injury, illness to you (or someone you care for) work, etc. Life getting in the way regarding eating habits is bull.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member

The trainer having the body you aspire to does absolutely nothing to help YOU get it.

You miss the point as usual. The fact he has got himself into shape shows that he knows how to do it. That will be enough for some people to make an initial preference and go for his taster session than someone who is overweight.

Nowhere did I state the stupid idea that being with a trainer you somehow by osmosis get to be in shape but its a good indication he has the knowledge to get there. That will be enough for some people.

Most trainers have the knowledge to help you get it shape. But again, them looking good does absolutely nothing to help you.
    It's not about how anybody looks but a fitness trainer's level of fitness. That's called professionalism and leadership by example.

I respect more those who practice what they preach, and most people seeking health and fitness goals are inspired by those who have reached and maintained such goals. Success breeds success...and like attracts like.

The last thing I'd ever pay to hear is advice and counsel from somebody who can't apply his own guidance.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member

It's not about how anybody looks but a fitness trainer's level of fitness. That's called professionalism and leadership by example.

I respect more those who practice what they preach, and most people seeking health and fitness goals are inspired by those who have reached and maintained such goals. Success breeds success...and like attracts like.

The last thing I'd ever pay to hear is advice and counsel from somebody who can't apply his own guidance.

That's your choice. Personally the ones I respect the most are those who really know their area of expertise, whether they practice it themselves or not.

So as long as they are good, I don't care if my trainer has a few extra pounds, or my doctor smokes. Practice what they preach is great for them, but really irrelevant to me. I don't need a trainer to inspire me, I just need them to provide instruction in proper technique.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Not talking about all gym staff, but the thing about personal trainers is...well, it's personal. I can see how someone with low fitness and a lot to lose could feel intimidated by an ultra fit trainer. The client might discount what an uber fit trainer says, thinking "that doesn't apply to someone like me," but find inspiration from a trainer who has made progress on the exact same path and is still working at it. Just like someone starting weight training in their 60's might wonder if a 20-something trainer has expertise in issues particular to the client's age. I'd want someone fit but relatable. I probably wouldn't relate well with a competition bodybuilder, e.g. , but you know, it's personal, and another person would. A gym that recognizes the diverse needs of its members probably has a diverse staff.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member

This woman looks fit enough, to be a personal trainer. Would it surprise you to learn; that she's paralyzed from the chest down & thus can't exercise below her chest?.
    They went to heaps of trouble to doll her up with a pose, lingerie and photoshop but left in the urinary catheter?
    OUCH!

There was a movement last year or so to encourage people with -ostomy bags to feel beautiful/sexy even with the bags. This picture might be related to that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/01/colostomy-bag-model-picture_n_5548863.html
    http://www.today.com/health/male-model-blake-beckford-poses-shirtless-ileostomy-bag-1D80024388

I have an Ostomy Bag (ileostomy) for the last 12 years. I work out 7 day's a week at the gym and home for atleast 2 hours per day. I'm very fit and having a BAG doesn't stop me doing most thing's I enjoy. My only downside is my food intake, with only having a 1/4 of my small bowel left. I also have to use catheters to go for a pee, but so what it doesn't worry me. There are so many people out there that judge people with a disability? Please don't because it could be anybody on here that becomes Disabled to!
  • Tahlia68
    oh forgot to say I Always feel beautiful and sexy because my (bag) doesn't define who I am.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    I see a lot of people taking this personally.

People make snap judgments. Should you look into their qualifications? Of course. But if you're just basing this off first sight, you wouldn't assume they are very knowledgeable.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.
    Like you, I don't mean to sound unkind, but.... :|

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success. For example...and these are actual business people I know personally...
    • a financial "adviser" who filed for bankruptcy...
    • a psychologist specializing in "marriage counseling" who cheated on his wife...WITH A PATIENT!
    • a business "consultant" who failed in business every time he owned a business
    • a police officer who steals from his crime scenes
    • a real estate agent who can't sell homes
    • a "motivational speaker" who attempted suicide...
    • a drug rehab counselor who is a drug addict...
    Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success - not excuses.

This is an amusing but not really surprising list :/
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    oh forgot to say I Always feel beautiful and sexy because my (bag) doesn't define who I am.
    That's such a sensible attitude. Good for you. People get way to wiggy about ostomy bags.

• Tahlia68

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I have wanted to try personal training for a while now. I am not completely skinny, though I am in ideal weight range. My BF% is high.

Looking at me, you would maybe think "not in very good shape for a personal trainer" and what you wouldn't know is that I have already lost 104lbs.

However, as I have taken an interest in psychology - it was already mentioned in this thread - that we make decisions based on the information we have. We do not always jump up towards the obese trainer and ask "what is your story, can you explain why you are not in good shape?" Of course not!

So - the information available is often the appearance of someone (along with other things, like first impressions, perhaps smell? facial expressions, etc). Until you get to know them, you go with that is easiest to judge.

Lets not act like we don't judge others either - that is ridiculous. It is basic survival instinct and we all do it.
  • Tahlia68
    Kalikel wrote: »
    That's such a sensible attitude. Good for you. People get way to wiggy about ostomy bags.
    Thankyou I'm not ashamed of my Ostomy (bag) at all. It's a permanent part of me and I would be dead if I didn't have it. Nobody can see it but me. I still wear a bikini and I'm very proud of my body, scars and all :smile: There are to many shallow judgemental people out there. And as I said in my other post It could happen to anyone on here and most definitely will one day. Problem is most people don't even know what and Ostomy is, which is sad. <3

• Tahlia68

OUCH!
    What a childish, disgusting comment. Shame on you!!

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Them being overweight wouldn't bother me nearly as much as them giving bad advice would.
  • Tahlia68

OUCH!

Have a look at Jessica Grossman on facebook on a page called UNCOVEROSTOMY she models with an Ostomy bag. She has a beautiful body and is as fit as a fiddle. Like me I have a BAG with a very fit body. Having a disability doesn't stop me working out 2 hours a day, 7 day's a week. Pinnacle get over yourself!!!
  • Elle1657
    Elle1657 Posts: 14 Member
    Regarding the comment about obese nurses and doctors. I think it's the precedent.

As someone who is a healthcare practitioner the physical stamina and ability that is improved by being in a healthy weight range is tremendous. Eg doing CPR compressions effectively. Or transferring a patient, lifting, ect. It is more about being able to care to a high standard than anything else. I am not saying that people who are overweight are not knowledgable about health, because that's untrue. Nor am I saying there are not extenuating circumstances.

I will agree with the OP though as I feel someone who is truly passionate about helping other's realises they must help themselves first. And as a personal trainer you would fall into the preventative side of medicine.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    I don't understand the argument here. If you don't want an overweight gym employee/trainer than would you be equally displeased with an underweight very low body fat but also very little muscle mass, trainer? Because by the comments OP gave they would not want either since technically neither one is proporting the fitness lifestyle that they represent. I work in the healthcare field as a paramedic and see many overweight physicians and medics and nurses. I might understand if said doc or nurse worked at a bariatric clinic, but in the ER we treat emergencies, not give weight loss or fitness advice.

This is my journey, my responsibility, no one else's. It is all of our responsibility to learn as much as we can and use that knowledge to better ourselves individually. Figure out what works for you and do it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    I don't understand the argument here. If you don't want an overweight gym employee/trainer than would you be equally displeased with an underweight very low body fat but also very little muscle mass, trainer? Because by the comments OP gave they would not want either since technically neither one is proporting the fitness lifestyle that they represent. I work in the healthcare field as a paramedic and see many overweight physicians and medics and nurses. I might understand if said doc or nurse worked at a bariatric clinic, but in the ER we treat emergencies, not give weight loss or fitness advice.

This is my journey, my responsibility, no one else's. It is all of our responsibility to learn as much as we can and use that knowledge to better ourselves individually. Figure out what works for you and do it.

Yes I would be equally unimpressed by a low BF, low muscle mass trainer.