Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What if I just want to TONE my legs? I mean I don't want to get big and bulky like a bodybuilder. Then would walking work for me?

I have to be careful not to walk too much. I build muscle very easily. If you don't want big muscle-y legs, you might want to invest in a scooter.

Oooh...great tip, thanks!

Would you recommend I buy one of those that are advertised during "Matlock" & "Murder, She Wrote" re-runs, or can I just go unplug one from my local Wal-Mart and drive it home?

Definitely WalMart. You want that extra calorie burn getting it home.

How do I log that?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What if I just want to TONE my legs? I mean I don't want to get big and bulky like a bodybuilder. Then would walking work for me?

I have to be careful not to walk too much. I build muscle very easily. If you don't want big muscle-y legs, you might want to invest in a scooter.

Oooh...great tip, thanks!

Would you recommend I buy one of those that are advertised during "Matlock" & "Murder, She Wrote" re-runs, or can I just go unplug one from my local Wal-Mart and drive it home?

Definitely WalMart. You want that extra calorie burn getting it home.

How do I log that?

Make your own cardio exercise and make sure to double the calories that MFP gives you. Then make a strength training entry and add it there too.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Thankyou for your help - I'll start that - I've always been a bit shy of doing squats in case my meniscus tears even more. I'll start carefully and see what happens.

Plus more uphill, and yes I do cycle but I generally have two dogs on the back and so I have an electric bike as my legs can't get uphill yet ;)

Thankyou again

FB x

Oh, I meant on a stationary/spinning bike at the gym--again, something my PT had me doing before she'd let me start running again. And for squats--not necessarily ATG squats--personally I like using the TRX for bodyweight squats. Do you have access to a physical therapist to maybe go over a safe workout plan?

Oh yes there are bikes at the gym - I just find them mind numbing so I avoid them, I'd rather struggle my rubbish legs outside. Yep I did have a physio but to be honest I learnt more from reading stuff off the interweb so I didn't bother after a few eeks.

I'm looking at stuff for squats now and beginner technique etc. Has been very helpful :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    MFP desperately needs a sarcasm font.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    MFP desperately needs a sarcasm font.

Everyone should just use Comic Sans for sarcasm since it’s not appropriate for anything else.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk 6 miles every day. I got really bulky and busted out of my pants, like the hulk. ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I walk 6 miles every day. I got really bulky and busted out of my pants, like the hulk. ;)

If you didn't turn green, it doesn't count.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30992-1365390009-11.gif
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Disagrees:
    Redhulk.png

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltcjvksh1N1qafrh6.gif
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Disagrees:
    Redhulk.png

That dude must walk A LOT!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    No love for the Grey Hulk?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Disagrees:
    Redhulk.png

That dude must walk A LOT!
    Naw, apparently being angry is strength training.

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options

You did? I have been doing about 4 miles 4 days a week, and around 5-6 miles 1 day a week... My leg muscles are getting really hard(except inner thighs, that's just how I roll), and I don't want to get bulky. Don't break my heart!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    How did this discussion get to 5 pages?
    Is there really some debate on the OP's question?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad Sheldon Cooper from the big bang theory isn't reading this.

His head would have exploded pages ago... :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes I know..its not lifting any considerable weight but it does eventually build muscle in the legs. So should it be considered strength training?

If you are very out of shape, it's a great place to start. If you are hiking for very very long distances (like 4+ hours), it's a solid workout.

But if you are looking for strength or size increase - no, it won't really do that in meaningful amounts.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's more worrying; that this is at 5 pages or that I read every single response. Wild Friday night in this household.........
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's more worrying; that this is at 5 pages or that I read every single response. Wild Friday night in this household.........

I did too, and I have no idea why... I guess I wanted to see how many "No" responses it would get?