• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The runners are usually very lean. Serious runners, anyway.

This is not true. I know serious runners who are not "very lean", and even who are overweight. I know, I was one of them (overweight and a serious runner). ;)
    How fat do you think most serious runners are? Like overweight or obese?

In your experience.

By "serious" do you mean "competing" (in other words winning podium places in races?)

I run. I am serious about my running. Therefore I am a serious runner. I think?
    Or maybe not since I'm still fat. Oh hell, I don't know.

You are a serious runner woman!

I am serious about my running. I am currently lean. I was also serious about my running when I was overweight. The idea that someone could make the claim that those who are serious runners are all lean is asinine in my opinion. I go to many races...and there are people at the start line of all shapes, sizes and abilities.

Yeah, I think doing some races gets you over that idea in a hurry.

I just wasn't sure if she was not including those of us who just run for fun, recreation, and to challenge ourselves as "serious runners."

It's true that being serious about running is an added incentive to get and stay lean, even leaner than I am currently, but I see plenty of runners in a wide variety of shapes. (It's also quite a popular activity, I believe.)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nope

• stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nope! Not unless you get a barbell on your back or dumbbells in your hands and do some walking lunges!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

This is not true. I know serious runners who are not "very lean", and even who are overweight. I know, I was one of them (overweight and a serious runner). ;)

In your experience.

By "serious" do you mean "competing" (in other words winning podium places in races?)

I run. I am serious about my running. Therefore I am a serious runner. I think?
    Or maybe not since I'm still fat. Oh hell, I don't know.

You are a serious runner woman!

I am serious about my running. I am currently lean. I was also serious about my running when I was overweight. The idea that someone could make the claim that those who are serious runners are all lean is asinine in my opinion. I go to many races...and there are people at the start line of all shapes, sizes and abilities.

Yeah, I think doing some races gets you over that idea in a hurry.

I just wasn't sure if she was not including those of us who just run for fun, recreation, and to challenge ourselves as "serious runners."

It's true that being serious about running is an added incentive to get and stay lean, even leaner than I am currently, but I see plenty of runners in a wide variety of shapes. (It's also quite a popular activity, I believe.)

Yeah, I mean elite runners are almost always quite lean/skinny, whatever PC term of the day is, but those are the people who are very competitive about it-like professional or semi professional. It's their life. That's a bit different than just calling them "serious" runners.

Edit: and I'm obviously not one of them and never will be. But I'm still a serious runner in that I take it seriously and take improving myself and my running seriously.

Agreed 100%.

And I'm the same as you--not a professional or semi-professional runner, but I put in ~125 miles in the month of July, so I guess that means I'm pretty serious. And yeah, although my BMI is on the lower side of the average range, I still weigh more than I would like.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In your experience.

The argument here was that poster said "all walkers and endurance runners are lean."

I'd agree that MANY are. But not all. Walking and running don't make you lean and there are plenty of people who are overweight and achieve great runs while still overeating and carrying extra weight.

No, I said that serious runners are usually very lean. That poster has disagreed because in his experience, serious runners are usually not very lean.

I have no intention of arguing with either answer. I'm just interested about his experience with these non-lean, but serious runners.

We all have different experiences.

Like you, my experience has been that when a person is a serious runner, they'll almost always have a very lean body.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

No, I disgreed because serious runners are not always lean, they can be of normal weight and overweight, and I've seen some I would consider obese. I don't think weight has anything to do with seriousness/committment to running. I'd say when you're committed to running you are serious about it.

You are projecting your own stuff and making a sweepoing generalization obout certain runners.

Now, let me ask you- why do you believe that only serious runner are lean (or only lean runners are serious)?

Previous poster said "usually".

How does that turn into "believe that only"?

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is it time to gif it up yet?

Since you asked,

reverse-1320171434_walking_cat.gif
    This is strength training due to the increased resistance from the cat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

In your experience.

The argument here was that poster said "all walkers and endurance runners are lean."

I'd agree that MANY are. But not all. Walking and running don't make you lean and there are plenty of people who are overweight and achieve great runs while still overeating and carrying extra weight.

No, I said that serious runners are usually very lean. That poster has disagreed because in his experience, serious runners are usually not very lean.

I have no intention of arguing with either answer. I'm just interested about his experience with these non-lean, but serious runners.

Like you, my experience has been that when a person is a serious runner, they'll almost always have a very lean body.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

No, I disgreed because serious runners are not always lean, they can be of normal weight and overweight, and I've seen some I would consider obese. I don't think weight has anything to do with seriousness/committment to running. I'd say when you're committed to running you are serious about it.

You are projecting your own stuff and making a sweepoing generalization obout certain runners.

Now, let me ask you- why do you believe that only serious runner are lean (or only lean runners are serious)?

Two comments seem to have been conflated. One saying that walkers and runners are always lean, and one (the poster's referred to above) saying that "serious runners" (clarified to mean people who run regularly, would say "I'm a runner," and do races) are "usually very lean."

I qualify as a serious runner under the poster's definition, and I am not "very lean." (I would define very lean for a woman as 20% BF or below, probably. I am also not overweight, although I got back into "serious running" when I was.) I am also far from abnormal among the numerous people I see running around my neighborhood or on our lakepath regularly, at races, or even at the triathlon I did a couple of weekends ago (which included a number of surprisingly heavy people, and obviously there are enough heavier folks who do them that they have a Clydesdale/Athena category, although I think you can kind of cheat there if talk enough, as I don't think it scales).

Most of the runners I see are not actually fat (some are, it's a common thing to pick up to try to lose weight, and lots of people have stories about gaining weight training for a marathon), but they also don't seem to be all that much different than the average person in my neighborhood (my neighborhood is definitely fitter on average than the US average, though, for a variety of reasons, including that people seem on average to be quite active).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

In your experience.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

Well, for goodness sake, serious runners are not even "usually lean". ;)

Size has nothing to do with whether a runner is serious, and seriousness has nothing to do with a lean runner. :o
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What if I take creatine or pre-work out before I walk? Will that make it strength training?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

In your experience.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

Size has nothing to do with whether a runner is serious, and seriousness has nothing to do with a lean runner. :o

Maybe we should change the word "serious" for "professional" ...

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    What if I take creatine or pre-work out before I walk? Will that make it strength training?

Only if you're power walking.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Can someone please answer this question? It's got me puzzled.
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day about when my cast was removed from my leg after being enclosed for 2 months. That leg had no muscle definition compared to the other. It looked scrawny, white, and hairy. haha. As soon as I began walking on it, the muscle quickly returned to the normal size. So.... ? Thoughts?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

In your experience.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

Maybe we should change the word "serious" for "professional" ...

Nah.....I don't want to pass that kind of judgment, which is why I challenged it in the first place. :)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

In your experience.

Um....I'm a she. ;)

If a person is over weight or obese, they sure ain't no serious runner, unless your perception of a serious runner is someone who runs occasionally and eats too much.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day about when my cast was removed from my leg after being enclosed for 2 months. That leg had no muscle definition compared to the other. It looked scrawny, white, and hairy. haha. As soon as I began walking on it, the muscle quickly returned to the normal size. So.... ? Thoughts?

What's the question, exactly?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

What's the question, exactly?

Well, since you couldn't work it out... :p

If strength exercises improve/build muscle, and walking isn't a strength exercise, how did @jodybo2's wasted leg get back to normal muscle size if she was just walking?