Does anything truly work?

Options

Replies

• farcrying
    farcrying Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added. PS in the supermarket this is almost everything. shop in the fruit and veg area and the meat counter (I'm a vegetarian so I don't) forget the rest of the store exists period! you will hate it, you will feel like crap for a week while your body goes through sugar detox, but when you come out the other side you will feel much better. clear headed no mood swings etc.

yes an apple has sugar but it also has all the fiber needed to fill you up and clear that sugar out of your system.

I eat 3000 calories a day of good food, no sugar, apples, oranges, bananas, grapes.... lettuces, carrots, cucumber anything found in the fruit and veg section, and then proteins tofu, nuts, quinoa, eggs, cheese... and have lost 45lbs in a bit over a year because I am not in a rush. In the last 3 months I have taken up biking and that has helped the weight drop faster. I am about 160lbs, I say about because I don't step on the scale every day or even every week because I don't panic about my weight it will go up and down weigh yourself once a month and see if you are down overall.

all I have done is dropped out the sugar.

so let me say it one more time for those of you that may have missed it "NO SUGAR!!!"

oh and don't go to artificial sweeteners that keeps the sugar craving going and then makes you more apt to slip.
    drink your coffee or tea black (yes you can)
    drink water put lemon and fresh mint in to give it a kick

its all in the mind take control of your mind.

NO SUGAR!!!
  • GA_belle
    GA_belle Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    msiamjan wrote: »
    Definitely get the cookies and such out of the house. Truly, the kids don't need them and they are not healthy for them either.
    Yeah, no.

Eating isn't just about "need," IMO. And some fat and carbs from something other than avocado and broccoli can be perfectly healthy, too.

Yes, but, as someone who has had a weight problem all my life, I felt that teaching my kids that sweets and such are for a rare treat, not something to keep around for snacking, would help them more in the long run. It's not necessary to keep thing like that around the house--my point is that not having them at home would help the OP and won't hurt the kids. No doubt they get lots of sweets and other fatty foods elsewhere.

I know you are likely to get beat up here by people that eat desserts/snacks/sweets every day. If it works for them, then great. Go for it. I want to let you know that I agree with you. Sure I could eat something sweet everyday and I did when I was eating whatever I wanted. Now I choose to use my calories for other foods and limit the amount of sweets. Both because of medical reasons and because I know I have trouble stopping at one serving. The easiest way to do this is not to have it in the house. Just like you can lose weight while eating sweets, you can also lose weight without eating them or limiting them and while everyone can debate whether there is any benefit to avoiding them, it certainly isn't detrimental if that is what you choose for you and your family. I think it's great that you are teaching your kids to reach for healthier options most of the time. It doesn't sound to me like you are being overly restrictive.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    farcrying wrote: »
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added. PS in the supermarket this is almost everything. shop in the fruit and veg area and the meat counter (I'm a vegetarian so I don't) forget the rest of the store exists period! you will hate it, you will feel like crap for a week while your body goes through sugar detox, but when you come out the other side you will feel much better. clear headed no mood swings etc.

yes an apple has sugar but it also has all the fiber needed to fill you up and clear that sugar out of your system.

I eat 3000 calories a day of good food, no sugar, apples, oranges, bananas, grapes.... lettuces, carrots, cucumber anything found in the fruit and veg section, and then proteins tofu, nuts, quinoa, eggs, cheese... and have lost 45lbs in a bit over a year because I am not in a rush. In the last 3 months I have taken up biking and that has helped the weight drop faster. I am about 160lbs, I say about because I don't step on the scale every day or even every week because I don't panic about my weight it will go up and down weigh yourself once a month and see if you are down overall.

so let me say it one more time for those of you that may have missed it "NO SUGAR!!!"

oh and don't go to artificial sweeteners that keeps the sugar craving going and then makes you more apt to slip.

NO SUGAR!!!

You should have stopped with NO.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!

Strong first post!

when_someone_is_delusional.gif
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!

giphy.gif

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added.

"NO SUGAR!!!"

NO SUGAR!!!

Haha, what? You absolutely, positively can lose weight if that cookie you're eating or ice cream or popsicle is under your calorie goal.

Sugar isn't the enemy. Consuming more calories than you burn is.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!
    I eat sugar and use artificial sweeteners.

64078106.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    GA_belle wrote: »
    Definitely get the cookies and such out of the house. Truly, the kids don't need them and they are not healthy for them either.
    Yeah, no.

Eating isn't just about "need," IMO. And some fat and carbs from something other than avocado and broccoli can be perfectly healthy, too.

Yes, but, as someone who has had a weight problem all my life, I felt that teaching my kids that sweets and such are for a rare treat, not something to keep around for snacking, would help them more in the long run. It's not necessary to keep thing like that around the house--my point is that not having them at home would help the OP and won't hurt the kids. No doubt they get lots of sweets and other fatty foods elsewhere.

I know you are likely to get beat up here by people that eat desserts/snacks/sweets every day. If it works for them, then great. Go for it. I want to let you know that I agree with you. Sure I could eat something sweet everyday and I did when I was eating whatever I wanted. Now I choose to use my calories for other foods and limit the amount of sweets. Both because of medical reasons and because I know I have trouble stopping at one serving. The easiest way to do this is not to have it in the house. Just like you can lose weight while eating sweets, you can also lose weight without eating them or limiting them and while everyone can debate whether there is any benefit to avoiding them, it certainly isn't detrimental if that is what you choose for you and your family. I think it's great that you are teaching your kids to reach for healthier options most of the time. It doesn't sound to me like you are being overly restrictive.

Cosigned.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added.

"NO SUGAR!!!"

NO SUGAR!!!
    I cut back foods loaded with sugar but still indulged treats in moderation. I also included a cheat day where I eat whatever.

There is never a need to go full Nazi when it comes to food.
    My ideal diet is whole foods like lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy.
    I get this about 75% of the time.

The remaining 25% is called living life.
    :)

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!

This is just a horrific example of giving advice when you don't know how anything actually works. I suggest you spend some more time reading/lurking. There are some very intelligent people here that can fully debunk just about everything you just said. OP, please ignore this post.
  • mantium999
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

But that still falls under CICO doesn't it? When I first started MFP the first thing I looked at was how much I was eating. I realized that eating out a lot was really cutting into the deficit I was trying to create so I started bringing in my own homemade lunches to work & cooking more BUT I only did that because I wanted to get more bang for my caloric buck. I made those changes because of CICO, that's a part of CICO not something separate. I went into it knowing it was going to be a lifestyle change and assumed most people did too. I guess I was wrong.

I don't think you're wrong, I think it's more just a matter of how people think about things. Obviously, a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight, no one is disputing that. I think the point was that for some people, thinking just in terms of CICO doesn't work for them, even knowing the science is there. They need to focus on the type of food they eat, or activity level, or whatever. Yes, it's all part of the same thing, you're correct. But some people have to focus on the behavioral aspect more to be successful rather than the straight numbers. Not everyone loves counting calories (which I think may have been what that user meant by CICO), so those people just focus on making the changes in their life to be sustainable, rather than the measuring/weighing/counting. Who knows, I might be reading it wrong, hopefully goldthistime will come back and explain.

Considering how many people come in here and truly do not understand that in the end CICO determines weight loss, your assumptions about what that post was attempting to convey could be quite a stretch. I would lean toward validating the reality of CICO, to confirm that a person knows that is the underlying requirement, before defending a statement that can be interpreted much differently. It doesn't matter if they are eating only whole foods, preparing meals at home, nor the quality of food. A person can do all those things, but if doing so results in CI>CO, they will not lose weight, and simply validating those decisions, absent of assuring an understanding CICO, will not provide value to someone trying to learn.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!

I think I finally understand bro-science!
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sugar? From what I have learned on here in the past 2 months, is that sugar is completely fine unless you have a medical reason to watch it. Right?
  • mantium999
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    What's wrong with sugar? From what I have learned on here in the past 2 months, is that sugar is completely fine unless you have a medical reason to watch it. Right?

I approve of your learning skills. Virtual fist bump to you!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

NO SUGAR!!!
    Oh hell no
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

But that still falls under CICO doesn't it? When I first started MFP the first thing I looked at was how much I was eating. I realized that eating out a lot was really cutting into the deficit I was trying to create so I started bringing in my own homemade lunches to work & cooking more BUT I only did that because I wanted to get more bang for my caloric buck. I made those changes because of CICO, that's a part of CICO not something separate. I went into it knowing it was going to be a lifestyle change and assumed most people did too. I guess I was wrong.

Exactly this.

Maybe the poster just doesn't understand what CICO means? I do find it insulting/annoying that so many seem to think that "applying CICO" means you don't care about what you eat or activity or otherwise make lifestyle changes. I would hope that most people apply common sense to what is a good way to use your calories and still feel satisfied and get the nutrition they need.

And if they don't, that's simply their choice, not a failing of the principle that CICO is what matters for weight loss.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »

I approve of your learning skills. Virtual fist bump to you!

Thank you, thank you, starting to get the hang of this!