Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    What's wrong with sugar? From what I have learned on here in the past 2 months, is that sugar is completely fine unless you have a medical reason to watch it. Right?

I approve of your learning skills. Virtual fist bump to you!

Thank you, thank you, starting to get the hang of this!

Welcome to the dark side. The oreos/ice cream/twinkies are awesome over here. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    farcrying wrote: »
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added.

"NO SUGAR!!!"

NO SUGAR!!!
    I cut back foods loaded with sugar but still indulged treats in moderation. I also included a cheat day where I eat whatever.

There is never a need to go full Nazi when it comes to food.
    My ideal diet is whole foods like lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy.
    I get this about 75% of the time.

The remaining 25% is called living life.
    :)

Pretty much this.

Also, can we PLEASE get over the silly lie about how everything but fresh fruits and vegetables and meat in the supermarket has added sugar? Almost nothing I buy from the supermarket (and mostly that's not meat or fruits or veg, since I get those from a farm) has added sugar in any significant amounts EXCEPT, of course, for ice cream.

Dried pasta, canned tomatoes, dried (or canned) beans, steel cut oats, smoked salmon (has a bit of sugar), frozen fish, tinned sardines and herring, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, pickles, sauerkraut, pepperoncini, oil, butter, vinegar, etc.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    No twinkies or cookies, but I will SMASH the crap out of ice cream heh!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sugar? From what I have learned on here in the past 2 months, is that sugar is completely fine unless you have a medical reason to watch it. Right?

Right
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

not sure how you get that, from this..

"So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people"

in context, that poster is obviously using "CICO" as a shorthand for just eating less than they're outputting, with no attention paid to food quality in particular.

Umm no the person I initially quoted clearly indicated there is a shelf life to cico..

Food quality was never mentioned ....
  • sirapropos
    sirapropos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Green Tea or Green Tea extract before meals. And increase your calories to 1500, but consume fewer carbs. Yogurt is a great source of protein and fiber.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sirapropos wrote: »
    Try Green Tea or Green Tea extract before meals. And increase your calories to 1500, but consume fewer carbs. Yogurt is a great source of protein and fiber.

wut…

I don't know which is worst advice, this or the great wall of text about sugar….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

not sure how you get that, from this..

"So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people"

in context, that poster is obviously using "CICO" as a shorthand for just eating less than they're outputting, with no attention paid to food quality in particular.

Umm no the person I initially quoted clearly indicated there is a shelf life to cico..

Food quality was never mentioned ....

Yep. I always assume when people say CICO only works for a period of time is that they really mean I am only able to commit and follow eating at a deficit for a period of time. Their inability to follow and maintain their deficit doesn't negate that CICO works 100% of the time.

this...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    farcrying wrote: »
    let me put this as simple as possible "NO SUGAR" get off the pop, snacks, cookies anything that has sugar added. PS in the supermarket this is almost everything. shop in the fruit and veg area and the meat counter (I'm a vegetarian so I don't) forget the rest of the store exists period! you will hate it, you will feel like crap for a week while your body goes through sugar detox, but when you come out the other side you will feel much better. clear headed no mood swings etc.

yes an apple has sugar but it also has all the fiber needed to fill you up and clear that sugar out of your system.

I eat 3000 calories a day of good food, no sugar, apples, oranges, bananas, grapes.... lettuces, carrots, cucumber anything found in the fruit and veg section, and then proteins tofu, nuts, quinoa, eggs, cheese... and have lost 45lbs in a bit over a year because I am not in a rush. In the last 3 months I have taken up biking and that has helped the weight drop faster. I am about 160lbs, I say about because I don't step on the scale every day or even every week because I don't panic about my weight it will go up and down weigh yourself once a month and see if you are down overall.

all I have done is dropped out the sugar.

so let me say it one more time for those of you that may have missed it "NO SUGAR!!!"

oh and don't go to artificial sweeteners that keeps the sugar craving going and then makes you more apt to slip.
    drink your coffee or tea black (yes you can)
    drink water put lemon and fresh mint in to give it a kick

its all in the mind take control of your mind.

NO SUGAR!!!

I think I finally understand bro-science!

That was actually no-science.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    sirapropos wrote: »

Oh lord.

I love yogurt. I eat tons. You know what else it is usually a great source of....CARBS.

Also, where do you get this fiber yogurt? My Fage has no fiber.

I mean, one could add oats, but that would involve--gasp!--carbs.

We wouldn't want that, now, would we?
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Don't go on a diet. Instead learn about your body. Find out how much food you need. Find out how much you burn a day.
    Change how you think about food. Change the amount you eat each meal.

Think before you eat.

There is no point in losing the weight if you don't learn
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    The whole point is OP...when you think i go on a diet..restrict your self and lose weight and afterwards you do again what you did before..than no...not one single diet works for you.

1.Losing weight is watching and counting your calorie intake by weighing all the food you consume, and be sure you take in less than you burn ( deficit).

2. Keeping steady on the weight you want is
    *****watching and counting your calorie intake by weighing all your food you consume and keep it equal to the calories that go out (maintaining)*** (there are some people who can guesstimate...but those are rare)

Now if you dont do these 1 or 2...it will never work for you, not one single diet...ever!

So if it works or not, is up to you!
    As you can see at all these posts here, for a lot of people it works. But that is them, you have to do find your own way how you do it.
    But CICO is sure enough the easiest way to do it. Just eat it all the foods you want, only less.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works is a good old fashioned detox/cleans
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me, a low carb high fat lifestyle has helped tremendously. You may want to watch Tim Noakes on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5-9ZxamXc
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

wut...??

OF COURSE if you keep eating less calories than you are burning, you will lose weight. It would be ludicrous to suggest otherwise. I meant only that many people can't stick with a calorie deficit for extended periods, and of those that do (and get to goal weight), many are likely to falter at some point during maintenance (ie the rest of their lives). My point was that ANY diet is hard to maintain long term, and your best bet is to avoid extreme measures. Better?