Eating Dinner after 7pm

Options
13»

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I've been eating dinner between 8:00-8:30 almost every night for the last year. Maintained my 20+ pound loss that whole time.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    102 pounds down in 9 months..and about 70 procent of my calories are eaten between 6 and 11AM and all the carbs too lol
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner after 7pm and I also have my snacks around 9-10pm. Not a problem as long it fits my macros
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I nearly always eat dinner after 7 pm.

Met my weight loss goals just fine doing that.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Doesnt matter what time you eat as long as you reach your target. I keep it going every 2,5/3h for better metabolism
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    80TAURUS80 wrote: »
    Doesnt matter what time you eat as long as you reach your target. I keep it going every 2,5/3h for better metabolism

When you eat has nothing to do with metabolism.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    if you say so ;)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    DDAstrid wrote: »
    Dear all

I keep hearing these claims that dieters should not eat a heavy meal (especially with carbs) after 7pm for various reasons.

I often don't finish work (where I am unable to discreetly snack) until 10pm and am literally starving.

Is there any truth to these claims, it is it the just a fake endorsement from celebrities on "myths" that keep them thin?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

:)

No scientific support that I've seen, however there is some "truth" in that recommendations like this can help someone adhere to a calorie deficit. That's why they get perpetuated - it can work, but the supposed reason why is completely false. In the case of not eating after a certain time, it can help someone from making poor meal choices (late hours + hungry + tired) or overeating (mindless eating in front of the TV at night). It also seems to be perpetuated by people who have 9-5 jobs, and not those who work other shifts, which is why the times always seem to be 7 pm or 8 pm.

Eat when it works with your schedule, your body doesn't know the difference.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Why do celebrities come out with this tosh then? ;)

I think because a lot of people who are night-time eaters are eating a meal but are night-time noshers which puts them over their daily caloric intake to maintain. People can tend to overeat when they snack, which is usually at night. So someone comes up with a "rule" which makes it seems worse than it is.

I get home from work and the gym most nights at 8:30 or 9. I eat then. All good! :smiley:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie allowance you will lose :smile:

Why do celebrities come out with this tosh then? ;)

It probably is helpful to people who don't keep track of their calories. And then there are those people who think your metabolism shuts off at night. :laugh:
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It doesn't matter how late or early you eat since your body is constantly using calories to power various metabolic processes. Really, it doesn't matter how much you eat for the day, so long as you're under maintenance for the week. That why people that do 5:2 are still able to lose weight.

I hardly ever eat before 7pm. Tonight I ate dinner at 10:30 pm since that's when I get home from work and I prefer to eat at home rather than in the break area a work. I've still lost over 100 pounds with no problems.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry during the night I will get up and have a light snack, within reason. I just don't go over my calorie intake for that 24hr period. Makes no difference to my weight loss.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Eating is like fueling your car, only your fueling your body. So do it when you have time
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You've gotten all the right answers. :)

I am one of those who avoids eating past 7pm, but not for any weight loss or maintenance goal. I wake up naturally between 3 and 4am regardless of when I go to bed, so I've found going to bed early helps me get a decent amount of sleep. I only fall asleep easily (within an hour) if it's been an hour or so since I ate. So, by chance, my cut off tends to be around 7. If I eat later, I have to stay up later, but I'll still wake up obscenely early, so I reserve my late meals for social events or the occasionally extra-long day at work. Someone might argue that there is some residual benefit of avoiding late-night, uncontrolled snacking, but I more than make up for it by having breakfast early and snacking between breakfast and lunch. My strategy has been 100% motivated by trying to combat my lifelong insomnia. So far, it's the best strategy I've found.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Personally I try not to eat much after about 8:00 or so, but it has nothing to do with weight -- it's because I get indigestion if I lie down within a couple of hours after eating.

Yes, this is especially true when one eats a big meal right before bed.

@DDAstrid - how much time after you eat do you go to bed?

I don't follow-why does this matter? Her question clearly pertains to weight loss, and meal timing does not matter as to weight loss.