Obese people telling me what's unhealthy...

Options
This is basically just a rant...

I`ve lost 75 lbs since january and have been eating very healthy foods with the occasional treat and it has been working very well for me. I plan my "treat" meals by lowering my calories by a few hundred every day during the week if I know I'll be going out to eat on the weekend. Then I don't feel guilty because even my treat meals are planned to fit into my weekly calorie goal. I eat vegetables and lean protein all the time and those "treat" meals happen only about once a month or less...

Anyway, today at lunch, while I ate my vegetables, I said to one of my co-workers "I had a poutine this weekend for the first time this year!". And she said "well you should watch cause those are full of fat and it's not good for you"!!!! This coming from a person who is very obese with no intentions of changing it, who has no problem eating junk food every day!

I was stunned! I mean I know it's not good for me and that's why I`ve only had one this year! And I eat vegetables all week so surely one poutine isn't going to kill me! She is a very nice woman who I like alot but I felt a little judged and I guess I just had to rant a bit!

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    ALL THE TIME.

My dad, who lives with me, is the worst about it. Gives me outdated "advice" and criticizes my food choices.

Annoying.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That would piss me off SO bad. Most likely though, it's either ignorance or jealousy, or a combination of both lol.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez.

These kind of comments were triggers for my binge eating. I would think, "Well, what's the point then?" and not eat anything when people were around, and then more than make up for it when I was alone. It got to the point where I couldn't eat in front of people for a while there for fear of comments.

#lifestory
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @ starrxoxo9, Yeah, you're probably right... I just felt like throwing my cucumber at her lol
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This is my niece! She's probably at 200 lbs at 5 feet tall, and only 17 years old. I am "fluffy" after having a baby, but I need to eat a lot since I'm breastfeeding. She will tell me that I'm eating too much, or that I'm eating too late, or that what I'm having has too much this and that.

I don't know the logic behind it. I know it's not jealousy, I know it's not hate. My niece and I love each other very much and I encourage her to eat better and exercise with me.

People are weird. You know what you're doing is right, so just ignore her and wish her the best at the same time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Chill out bro, people give unasked for advice all the time. Smile, nod, and move on.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nO
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Chill out bro, people give unasked for advice all the time. Smile, nod, and move on.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I hear ya!!
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • Chelledl
    Chelledl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe stating the obvious made her feel smart? Congratulations on your weight loss success! :o)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oooh whether they're obese or not, nothing bothers me more than someone saying "OMG THAT IS SO BAD FOR YOU" after I've already eaten it. Like, thank you...it's been eaten, nothing I can do about it now, so why don't you not shame me for it!!

When I was 16, I worked in a retail store and I was SUPER active and thin. I went to Cinnabon for one of my lunch breaks (I did not do this every day), and when I got back my co-worker was like "wow you just consumed your daily allotment of calories in 15 minutes." COOL, LADY! I literally have not had Cinnabon since. Not like that's really the end of the world, but still. Why?
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Anyway, today at lunch, while I ate my vegetables, I said to one of my co-workers "I had a poutine this weekend for the first time this year!". And she said "well you should watch cause those are full of fat and it's not good for you"!!!! This coming from a person who is very obese with no intentions of changing it, who has no problem eating junk food every day!

See, I don't handle that sort of thing very well, so my advice would be bad advice...

I'd adopt a shocked look, and drop my fork on the table.

"POUTINE IS HIGH IN FAT?! OH MY GOD! REALLY? I'M GOING TO BE SICK!"

Then I'd stop, pick up my fork and say "I've lost 75 pounds. Could I get you another soda or a bag of chips?"
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

Come on dude. Telling people to use logic? Get out of here with that!
  • nmeeks81
    nmeeks81 Posts: 9
    Options
    I liked to think a comment like that may have a postive intent maybe she proud of you for doing something she thinks she uncapable of and she does not want to fall off the wagon. sometime neg comments motive .
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Also, I think that someone who's giving you advice on what to eat is opening the gates to your advice on what to eat... should you be so inclined.
  • SteveStedge
    Options
    Expand this to "People who have never accomplished thing X telling me it can't be done while I've already done it". There are an endless supply of idiots in the world. They are insecure and because THEY can't do something they want to tell YOU it can't be done.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    what is a pouyine? sorry now I dont know
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

That's what I would do. Ignore them.