Obese people telling me what's unhealthy...

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I get the other side of that coin... I tell someone how I have lost 75lbs lifting and counting calories and then some skinny woman tells me how I am doing it all wrong. Apparently I should be a vegetarian and run marathons. Who knew!
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes I have had it happen people who are just as big as I am or even bigger make judgements. My favorite? Oh you would be so pretty if you were thinner...can you say devestatingly crushed?. Sometimes people mean well but they just don't think. I am far from my goal but I am trying and donig my best. Making some adjustment hoping it helps make me even more successful. I want support not to be torn down or have any of my MFP buddies go through it either. Sorry this happened to you
  • mworley3
    mworley3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That would make me mad.. I am one of those people who would just not say anything and go on. Maybe she wasn't trying to insult you or your weight loss. Maybe she is just trying to help you out with how she knows best to. If it hurt your feelings maybe you should speak to her about it. Her intentions may not be what you think they are. Even so you are doing great on your weight loss and how you are going about it so I wouldn't worry about it to much. You are doing this for you not her. :smile:
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Also, I think that someone who's giving you advice on what to eat is opening the gates to your advice on what to eat... should you be so inclined.

That's what I was thinking......
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what is a pouyine? sorry now I dont know

POUTINE IS AMAZING. Fries, cheese curds and gravy is the basic poutine. It's a Canadian thing.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Anyway, today at lunch, while I ate my vegetables, I said to one of my co-workers "I had a poutine this weekend for the first time this year!". And she said "well you should watch cause those are full of fat and it's not good for you"!!!! This coming from a person who is very obese with no intentions of changing it, who has no problem eating junk food every day!

See, I don't handle that sort of thing very well, so my advice would be bad advice...

I'd adopt a shocked look, and drop my fork on the table.

"POUTINE IS HIGH IN FAT?! OH MY GOD! REALLY? I'M GOING TO BE SICK!"

Then I'd stop, pick up my fork and say "I've lost 75 pounds. Could I get you another soda or a bag of chips?"

*Stands on desk clapping*:heart:
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    did I every tell you I love your wit and kind sarcasm xi? yep ...tell it like it is.....!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    what is a pouyine? sorry now I dont know

POUTINE IS AMAZING. Fries, cheese curds and gravy is the basic poutine. It's a Canadian thing.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm........add in a little bacon, lobster or burger :sad:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This drives me insane too.

On a similar note, I am training for a marathon and my very sedentary friend who has not run in over 20 years is constantly trying to give me advice. He says he wants to run, but he stubbed his toe a month ago and it still hurts...that's the only thing holding him back. What held you back the other 19.9 years?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This happened to me last week at a "Lunch & Learn" seminar on weight training, when I made a comment about the ratio of carbs/fat/protein recommended in NROLFW and a woman, much larger than me, tried to tell me that I should be trying for whatever ratio she's doing. I just smiled and explained that I'm actually trying to build muscle not just lose weight, but it really bugged me that she was trying to correct me.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    She could be one of those people in denial that believes only certain things she eats ave caused her weight gain so she is trying to warn u. Most don't realize how many cals or serving sizes r in the foods they ingest and think only food labeled as bad will cause weight gain.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg

Haha, had to google it too! Sounds like quite the comfort food. DO NOT WANT, but I bet it's great if you grew up on it.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhh.......she probably just spoke without thinking...........but YOU, you are amazing, OMG 75lbs since Jan??????? I've lost 25 since Jan. and thought that was pretty good
    I bow to you!!!!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This drives me insane too.

On a similar note, I am training for a marathon and my very sedentary friend who has not run in over 20 years is constantly trying to give me advice. He says he wants to run, but he stubbed his toe a month ago and it still hurts...that's the only thing holding him back. What held you back the other 19.9 years?

Buahahahahah awesome! I know someone exactly like this!! I had a coworker walking in at the same time as me one morning (he's probably pushing 450, just sayin'). I was still in my gym clothes. He was like, "Oh, I should start working out too, I just don't have the kind of time you do". :noway:
    Um, you work 3 days a week, spend 95% of your time on YouTube while you ARE there (he has since been fired), and are married with no kids.
    I have a child, am pregnant with another, do my job full-time AND your job, take evening classes, and cook at home, while you admit that you and your wife order out for every meal except breakfast.
    Then he tells me the gym I'm going to doesn't have the amenities he wants. There are several gyms around here, this one just happened to offer us a discount. It's a GORGEOUS gym, and also offers classes, tanning, a sauna, full private showers, tons of weights and cardio machines..... What is he hoping for it to have? A chocolate fountain? /end rant.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Does she know you're watching your weight? She might be pointing it out because she knows you care. Not that it wouldn't still annoy me. I just like giving people the benefit of the doubt.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    All the time. I've noticed it with family members, friends, and co-workers. As soon as people realize you've lost weight they feel the need to comment on what you eating, how much your exercising, and if whatever I'm eating at that moment isn't healthy.

Screw them. I didn't lose 30 pounds by listening to their idiotic advice and I'm not starting now.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg
    [/quote

me too:laugh: :laugh:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Are "cheese curds" the same as cottage cheese?

Who knew MFP could be so educational??
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, poutine. Now that's all i can think about!!! Hmmm, I think there's a Smoke's Poutinerie nearby!! :)

(@Calliope610 - no cheese curds aren't the same as cottage cheese. Similar concept, but cheese curds are denser, meltier and yummier).
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Does she know you're watching your weight? She might be pointing it out because she knows you care. Not that it wouldn't still annoy me. I just like giving people the benefit of the doubt.
    I agree. She could've just been warning you. Just because she's overweight doesn't mean that she doesn't know anything. I mean, lots of us on here are overweight but give advice. Idk just a thought.

But what I do hate is when people are either like "If I was a student/stay at home mom like you, I could work out as hard as you do" when I'm thinking "like it's really that easy to wrangle a 2-year-old, maintain a home and go to school full-time while finding time at 2am to take care of myself. You don't lose weight cause you're lazy". The worst though is when someone looks at my food (which is usually healthy) and they're like "you're eating THAT? You know, a few french fries wouldn't kill you". I smile delicately as I watch them dump half a bag of french fries into oil and think "yeah, but it's going to kill you because you eat that way everyday."

Moral of the story is...people say what they want to. I roll my eyes and keep doing what I want to do lmfao