Obese people telling me what's unhealthy...

Options

Replies

• shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of older men (who are not related to me or my father) telling me I need to eat less "Slow down girl, don't eat so much" "Those brownies will pack on the pounds!" when I am having my occasional cheat meal. It makes me angry especially because I see these people like once a month and they don't know how I eat on a regular basis! It isn't their right to tell me how to eat. They just assume I always eat that crap. It seems embarrassing to me that they would say those sorts of things. Then again one of the men who says that to me is an ex-military guy (pretty sure he has orthorexia) who at 5'11 has a goal weight of 130 pounds. *facepalm* He weighs like 150 and eats like those microwave meals and huffs and puffs running with the high school kids. He says "I gotta get down to my high school weight!" (but he says he was like 5'5 in high school...)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    She could be one of those people in denial that believes only certain things she eats ave caused her weight gain so she is trying to warn u. Most don't realize how many cals or serving sizes r in the foods they ingest and think only food labeled as bad will cause weight gain.

This. The sad reality out there is that 90% of people out there have NO IDEA how weight loss/gain works. They think that in order to be "in shape" you have to eat nothing but salads and veggies all the time. They label certain foods as "bad" and think that as long as you eat those foods, you will be fat. (This is why so many people, including your friend, don't bother even trying to get in shape... they think they'll have to completely give up foods they like forever).

Your friend probably knows you've lost weight and was honestly concerned that eating the poutine would make you gain it back. Sad that people are so ignorant, but true.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg

Me too. Had no idea. That being said....YUM!
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chill out bro, people give unasked for advice all the time. Smile, nod, and move on.

Good advice..:smile:
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Been in your shoes before! Its funny:) And I have to say that I love poutine. I grew up in Northern VT near the canadian border and even lived a semester in Quebec City. Poutine=Yum!
  • Rachelaur
    Rachelaur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I liked to think a comment like that may have a postive intent maybe she proud of you for doing something she thinks she uncapable of and she does not want to fall off the wagon. sometime neg comments motive .

this
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Buahahahahah awesome! I know someone exactly like this!! I had a coworker walking in at the same time as me one morning (he's probably pushing 450, just sayin'). I was still in my gym clothes. He was like, "Oh, I should start working out too, I just don't have the kind of time you do". :noway:
    Um, you work 3 days a week, spend 95% of your time on YouTube while you ARE there (he has since been fired), and are married with no kids.
    I have a child, am pregnant with another, do my job full-time AND your job, take evening classes, and cook at home, while you admit that you and your wife order out for every meal except breakfast.
    Then he tells me the gym I'm going to doesn't have the amenities he wants. There are several gyms around here, this one just happened to offer us a discount. It's a GORGEOUS gym, and also offers classes, tanning, a sauna, full private showers, tons of weights and cardio machines..... What is he hoping for it to have? A chocolate fountain? /end rant.

Whaaat? No chocolate fountain?! That is shameful. I hope they gave you the best discount ever to make up for such a horrible oversight.:laugh:

I would have done a little happy dance when that *kitten* got fired. I would not have been able to stop myself. :drinker:
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Sometimes talking about weight loss and proper food choices makes obese people uneasy, especially with a fit person. She was probably just trying to keep up her end of the conversation. Not everything that comes out of ones mouth is going to be the right thing to say every time. On a side note, there are a lot of obese people who have done the research and do have intelligent things to say about weight loss. Just because they haven't successfully applied the information to themselves doesn't make their opinion null and void. I get uncomfortable when I hear that it was insulting that an obese person dared to give advice. If it was a fit person that said it, it should have been equally annoying. Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • MichelleLoseW8
    Options
    I am great at giving advice, as I do read a lot and have tried a lot, but not always so good at following what I know is "good for me"... With that being said, she may have just been trying to help and it came out "negative". A lot of dieticians recommend a "cheat day" as long as it's not too crazy, so you have nothing to feel guilty about!! Just take her comments as her trying to help keep you on track, she probably didn't mean any harm. :-)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Buahahahahah awesome! I know someone exactly like this!! I had a coworker walking in at the same time as me one morning (he's probably pushing 450, just sayin'). I was still in my gym clothes. He was like, "Oh, I should start working out too, I just don't have the kind of time you do". :noway:
    Um, you work 3 days a week, spend 95% of your time on YouTube while you ARE there (he has since been fired), and are married with no kids.
    I have a child, am pregnant with another, do my job full-time AND your job, take evening classes, and cook at home, while you admit that you and your wife order out for every meal except breakfast.
    Then he tells me the gym I'm going to doesn't have the amenities he wants. There are several gyms around here, this one just happened to offer us a discount. It's a GORGEOUS gym, and also offers classes, tanning, a sauna, full private showers, tons of weights and cardio machines..... What is he hoping for it to have? A chocolate fountain? /end rant.

Whaaat? No chocolate fountain?! That is shameful. I hope they gave you the best discount ever to make up for such a horrible oversight.:laugh:

I would have done a little happy dance when that *kitten* got fired. I would not have been able to stop myself. :drinker:

I tried very, very hard to be good to him, and to encourage him every time he made another 10 second commitment to his health or career. He was so clingy.... I would put on headphones when I'm really plugging away and he literally would poke me with a PVC pipe (no, I don't know why he had this) to get my attention so he could show me some Harlem Shake video BS. He said crap that made me uncomfortable (that takes a LOT) and constantly interrupted conversations he was not in and would just speak louder and louder until everyone else gave up.
    I felt awful, but I TOTALLY did a happy dance when he left.
    But where am I now, without the unsolicited advice about how I eat too late at night, or how sexy pregnant women are? Who am I really, without the gentle (not really) brush of his belly against my shoulder as he leans in to try to read the personal email I am sending to my mother?
  • jillwhite12
    jillwhite12 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know she had no bad intentions. She's a really nice person. The reason I was so stunned I suppose is because my co-workers are constantly eating poutine and other greasy foods all the time and when they ask me I always say no. They always say something along the lines of "oh come on, eating junk once won't hurt" and now that I did eat it, she kind of made me feel bad. I'm not hurt or anything, I know she doesn't mean any harm....just weird coming from someone who was eating chips when she said it lol
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight my very over weight friends keep telling me I was too thin. Another friend told me to say to them "I also wanted someone to tell me that". I also stated my Doctor was the President of My Fan Club.

They also told me what to eat.

Just tell them you are on target for your life style change and you feel good about yourself.

Are they Jealous???
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    This is basically just a rant...

I`ve lost 75 lbs since january and have been eating very healthy foods with the occasional treat and it has been working very well for me. I plan my "treat" meals by lowering my calories by a few hundred every day during the week if I know I'll be going out to eat on the weekend. Then I don't feel guilty because even my treat meals are planned to fit into my weekly calorie goal. I eat vegetables and lean protein all the time and those "treat" meals happen only about once a month or less...

Anyway, today at lunch, while I ate my vegetables, I said to one of my co-workers "I had a poutine this weekend for the first time this year!". And she said "well you should watch cause those are full of fat and it's not good for you"!!!! This coming from a person who is very obese with no intentions of changing it, who has no problem eating junk food every day!

I was stunned! I mean I know it's not good for me and that's why I`ve only had one this year! And I eat vegetables all week so surely one poutine isn't going to kill me! She is a very nice woman who I like alot but I felt a little judged and I guess I just had to rant a bit!

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Okay Bye!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL you should have said really thats how I've been losing all this weight. Or just brushed it off and said well it was so damn good I'm gonna get more.

One day I'll try this Canadian creation...one day.
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the comments really, but just remember that everyone has an opinion. When people complain about how they're going to have to go to the gym for three hours because they ate one cookie or stuff like that, I usually tell them something to the effect of "Everything in moderation," and I tend to get blank stares or – worse – a look insinuating "like YOU would know..." Yes, I'm still overweight. However, I've also lost nearly 100 pounds, so whether you believe it or not, I DO have a sense of what does(n't) work.

Again, everyone has an opinion, and sometimes it's easy to jump to conclusions or feel defensive, but sometimes you need to just shrug it off; smile and nod. You know what you're doing and you know that it's working and that's what's important.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There but for the grace of God go I.....:happy:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I know she had no bad intentions. She's a really nice person. The reason I was so stunned I suppose is because my co-workers are constantly eating poutine and other greasy foods all the time and when they ask me I always say no. They always say something along the lines of "oh come on, eating junk once won't hurt" and now that I did eat it, she kind of made me feel bad. I'm not hurt or anything, I know she doesn't mean any harm....just weird coming from someone who was eating chips when she said it lol

Next time, just toss back what she normally says to you "oh come on, eating junk once won't hurt"
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Also, I think that someone who's giving you advice on what to eat is opening the gates to your advice on what to eat... should you be so inclined.

That's what I was thinking......

This would be the opportune time to tell her yes, that's why I've only had one all year, since I was able to lose weight and well, I don't see you trying.

Of course, everyone in my office is very close as we're a small company and can kid around that like (but I would have been serious, whether or not they take your advice is another story.)
  • tonyv815
    tonyv815 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    She's obviously envious. Instead of praising you or congratulating you, she criticized and insulted you. Don't allow her to make you feel bad or take you down. I think you did the right thing by not getting defensive and striking back at her. You were the better person. Congrats on the weight loss ... keep it up !!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That is a new word for me, poutine. Never heard of it. Had to google it.

320px-OriginalPoutineLaBanquise.jpg

Haha, had to google it too! Sounds like quite the comfort food. DO NOT WANT, but I bet it's great if you grew up on it.

Lol! I grew up on it and it's part of why I got onMFP in the first place ????