Options
13»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I would love to be the doctor whose patient calls whenever there's a poo-related change.

Cha-ching!
    There are doctors who spend most of their days dealing with such things.

If you want to do it, there is nothing stopping you. Take the MCAT.

Yes, I'm sure there are doctors out there willing to take advantage of hypochondriacs who stress over every bowel movement.

Not interested.
    You said you'd love to do that. Some calls are from hypochondriacs, but some have actual issues - diverticulitis, bowel obstructions, et cetera, et cetera. As a doctor, you never know the difference until you investigate. It's harder in real life, which is why there are years of training.

You can't just decide whether or not something is wrong before you ever see the person. There's no magic that let's you know who has real problems and who doesn't. You have to *kitten*, poke, run tests - stuff like that. But at the end of the day, there is, as you say, a "Cha-Ching!" :)

If you change your mind back to thinking you'd "love" to be that doctor, take the MCAT! There is no reason why you couldn't be a doctor, too.

Has sarcasm always been difficult for you?

Do you need a sign?:

318mx75bkbch.jpg

Or perhaps there's a medical professional you could call who could help you with that.

I wasn't sure if you were serious or not. Thanks for pointing out that you were being sarcastic.

Actual diagnosing is harder than online diagnosing. No magic involved. But it can be (and is) done every day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Back to the serious...

If you have increased your fiber recently...that can also cause constipation. They recommend increasing it gradually and let your digestive system adapt.

Do some research and it will give you some things to help.

I know...I know...fiber to make you poo...fiber can constipate you...it is a losing battle. Believe me...I battle it constantly.

You said you weren't on an iron supplement but if you take a daily vitamin that has iron that can also cause constipation.

Not if but when I become constipated I increase my fat...extra serving of peanut butter sometimes helps. When that doesn't do it and I have become uncomfortable I will turn to laxatives...usually in the form of a suppository because of the response time and the ease on my stomach. Only as a last resort will I use an oral laxative...they are sometimes harsh.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Haha you're not alone! Mine is the same :( I only seem to be able to have healthy poos when my diet is not-so-healthy. I'm also suddenly gassier than normal? It's super lame.

I'm not sure how to fix it. I eat fruits and veggies (not starchy ones) with every meal, and I'm paying really close attention to my water intake. Maybe our bodies just need time to readjust?

Increase in fiber can cause gas until your system adjusts to the additional fiber. A lot of vegetarians have problems with gas initially. I tried going vegetarian...lasted about 2 weeks...too much gas for me. I was like this walking time bomb waiting to explode...or at least it felt that way.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Haha you're not alone! Mine is the same :( I only seem to be able to have healthy poos when my diet is not-so-healthy. I'm also suddenly gassier than normal? It's super lame.

I'm not sure how to fix it. I eat fruits and veggies (not starchy ones) with every meal, and I'm paying really close attention to my water intake. Maybe our bodies just need time to readjust?

Increase in fiber can cause gas until your system adjusts to the additional fiber. A lot of vegetarians have problems with gas initially. I tried going vegetarian...lasted about 2 weeks...too much gas for me. I was like this walking time bomb waiting to explode...or at least it felt that way.

I'm impervious to vegetables at this point (veggie here). I can eat brassicas and beans without getting gas!

OP, I agree with the majority consensus. Any change in diet is going to cause a change in bowel habits. A sudden increase in fiber might actually plug you up.

You say you decreased your consumption of breads and increased your consumption of veggies. This still might be a big enough change to not only your fiber intake, but enough to possibly (just shooting in the dark here) have some effect on your intestinal flora.

I really wouldn't worry about a bowel obstruction of all things, I'm sure you'd have much more dire symptoms than less frequent bowel movements were that to be the case. I'd give it a bit more time for things to settle in to a new pattern.

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The main reason I am worry about not being able to go every day is because my weight hasn't gone down this week.
    I have been doing 60+ mins a day of exercise and drinking more water.
  • Annie_01
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Then take a laxative or use a suppository. However...for me it is a last resort when I am uncomfortable and experience discomfort. I have one large hernia and two smaller ones. When I become constipated...which is often...if I let it go too long I experience quite a bit of pain.

Yes it might be masking some weight loss. Maybe not as much as you think though. I would try natural methods before I would resort to any medications...especially since your main concern is not seeing the scale move.

How long has it been since you have gone?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The main reason I am worry about not being able to go every day is because my weight hasn't gone down this week.
    I have been doing 60+ mins a day of exercise and drinking more water.

This might be TMI but I don't see a significant change in weight whether I poop or not. My scale only does increments of 0.5lb so that probably explains why I see no change at all.

If it's causing you discomfort, then you definitely need to figure things out. Otherwise, don't worry about it too much.

~Lyssa
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the frequency. I used to go at least twice a day. Now I generally don't go more than every second day.

I mix 1/4 cup of fibre cereal in to my regular cereal, or in with a smoothie every morning to keep things moving "smoothly" :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Behold:
    bristol_stool_chart.gif

The Bristol Stool Chart, used by the medical community.

This, I didn't need to see today.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My pooh was this loud, runny sludge like jello pudding with small lumps of chocolate covered raisins. And if I was sick, it looked like loaded potato and kale soup with cheddar croutons and sweet corn.
    You could hear me from next door.

After reclaiming my health, my BM is normal, and by normal..think of a nice quiet and gentle Baby Ruth bar or on bulk days a lebanese meat stick sometimes lightly touched with some hummus and a fine mist of extra virgin olive oil.

Life in the bathroom is so much easier... B)

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Significant changes in dietary composition can affect pooping frequency/ease/consistency. The culture of gut flora that we all have that help us break down and digest our food evolves based upon our diet. For example, people who eat high-fat diet have microbiomes that specialize in breaking down fatty foods, while a person on a low-fat, fiberous diet would have a microbiomes that would specialize in breaking down fiberous, low-fat foods. Suddenly changing your diet kind of throws all of these bacteria for a loop, since you all of a sudden have started eating all if this food that they aren't all that great in breaking down. This innefficency, in turn, slows digestion and elimination. If you stick to your new diet long enough, it should balance out as your microbiomes adapts and new bacteria that specialize in breaking down whatever makes up the bulk of your new diet begin to multiply and proliferate. For now, it's mostly a waiting game. In the meantime, though, you could start taking a quality probiotic (if you aren't already,) to "inoculate" your gut with some new bacteria that would be more suited to your new diet. Digestive enzyme suppluments may help while waiting for your body to adapt as well.

Also, while you said that you are getting enough fiber, make sure that you're eating enough fat as well. Fat is like the WD-40 of the digestive system. Without it, everything kind of starts just scraping along, making bathroom-time not at all relaxing. Making sure that you're drinking enough water and engaging in regular movement (not necessarily exercise, just moving around for a couple of minutes every hour or so,) can help to keep things moving. Coffee and caffeinated tea also work to move things along for some.

Also, be on the lookout for food intolerances. I know that I get really plugged up the next day if I eat non-fermented dairy (other than cheese). Even if you weren't intolerant to something in the past, intolerances can develop at anytime. When I was younger, dairy didn't bother me. It does now. If you have suddenly been introducing all sorts of new foods into your diet, and things don't get better in the next couple of weeks, I would start trying to examiner if there were specific foods in your diet that are causing the problem.

Lastly, keep in mind that because eating at a deficiet often means eating less food volume-wise, that also would mean that you will have less volume in your stool. This can slow transport as well. Somebody already mentioned the thing with anorexics -- it's the same sort of deal here, just not as extreme.

Hope I was able to help. :)
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    lol Lots of water and fibre :smiley:
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A magnesium supplement can help with regularity. Just be careful. Too much supplementation can cause diarrhea.