What single food is the most nutritionally perfect?

Options

Replies

• kaoldham
    kaoldham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    AMRROL wrote: »
    While no single food is nutritionally perfect, is there one single food that comes close to being the most nutritionally perfect? (ie has the best ratios of vitamins and macronutrients) Liver? Brown Rice? Legumes?

I believe chia seeds are considered to be, given the various nutrients, fibre and it being a veggie/vegan-friendly complete protein.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was goofing off one day using the caloric ratio tool here:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/caloric-ratio-search

That's how I found edamame seed pods. I clicked in the MIDDLE of the triangle.

So if I were trapped on Mars and nobody was gonna come rescue me for a few years, I'd grow Edamame (soybeans) under my dome.

History of soybean agriculture in China.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think perfection is overrated though. In my weight loss enterprise, variety is king.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

I like that they're 'Cholesterol Free' - because if you're stranded in the middle of the ocean on a life raft you probably don't have your Lipitor Rx with you and one of your top concerns is managing your lipid profile?

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I like that they're 'Cholesterol Free' - because if you're stranded in the middle of the ocean on a life raft you probably don't have your Lipitor Rx with you and one of your top concerns is managing your lipid profile?

I have so many questions about this. has anyone had one?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    potatoes...

the irish had it right.
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'd say almonds or walnuts.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Anyway, I never understand having issues with vegetables. I love vegetables, especially pan fried, roasted, or in a nice pasta sauce (which usually means pan fried in olive oil with some meat and tomatoes and ideally olives).
    I am a work in progress and have tried veggies every way.
    YUK!
    My disconnect is that I see great value in how they aid to terrific health.
    I juice a half gallon of my green sludge daily. I have learned to love it, so this may be as good as it gets.
    My people must have evolved from wolves or something... :p

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    unfortunately as a homo sapien you are sort of obligated to eat a variety of food to meet all your nutritional needs and keep that big brain cranking
  • amelie2651
    amelie2651 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Eggs
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Breast milk. You're living off it for quite a while.

this might be the winner as far as complete human nutrition goes

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bacon. Better yet, bacon on pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Is this a joke? It's not a single food, like the OP said, but even if we were making food combinations...

Do you really believe that pizza with bacon on it is the healthiest thing to eat or are you making some kind of joke?

Good grief. The PizzaBacon hybrid is srs business.
    I honest to God cannot even figure out what you're trying to say. I'm usually pretty good at sorting out what people mean, but this is one that is so far removed from making sense that I cannot even suss out what it means.

Can I assume it is a personal insult? I'll just do that. I'll assume you were trying to insult me. It's pretty much all you ever do when you quote me, so I'll go with that.

I'll assume name-calling or some sort of personal insult toward me. If that is accurate, you don't even have to explain the comment.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I believe they are indicating "lighten up"
  • maryscrap
    maryscrap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There use to be a book out several years ago that assigned a point value to foods. Fiver, vitamins, etc was good. Fat and refined sugar was bad. According to that book, cantelope was the best food.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I concur.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    At least that is something I understand.

I'm not angry about it. I've just noticed that very often, that poster gets things right. When everyone else is say, "XY and Z!" he will say, "Well, actually, AB and C" and he won't be wrong. I'm praying that "pizza with bacon" was some kind of joke and not what he really thinks of as the healthiest food around. I have seen people actually argue that pizza is one of the healthiest things you can eat and he may agree with with that. I don't know. I hope not...but I never know.

But I'm not angry or upset about it. Promise. :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    For me also; the incredible, edible egg!
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Placenta.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Based strictly on the MFP numbers, I'd have to go with kale (which sucks, because I can't stand kale).

34% protein
    17% fat
    42% carbs ( I know it doesn't add up perfectly. Just using the numbers MFP gave me.)

And a 600 calorie serving (though it would be huge) would supply 100% of iron DV, 184% of calcium DV, and well over 100% of fibre, potassium and vitamins C and A. The only downside is it's slightly below the 20-35% fat recommendation from USDA.

Not picking on eggs, but since so many people mentioned them I looked them up.

A 600 calorie serving of poached whole egg would have the same amount of protein as the kale and be well under on all of the micronutrients listed.

35% protein
    60% fat
    2% carbs

41% DV iron
    24% DV calcium
    0% DV vit C
    45% DV vit A
    17% DV potassium

Makes zero difference to me, though, because I wouldn't eat either one, lol.