having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options
Hey everyone im having gastric bypass a month from Friday... eek :) im wondering if anyone else here has had it or planning to do it... im starting my own diet for the next 2 week's.. not going crazy with it but going to eat pretty healthy. Then after two weeks i start my pre op diet.. oh boy... just looking for advice or friends :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about gastric bypasses and such but I know that after it, most people eat pretty low levels of calories - like 800 or something, right?
  • rny91415
    rny91415 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah just getting a lot of protein in. I mean eventually you will eat more then that (well someday you can eat regular)
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Can I ask why you're getting a gastric bypass, OP? Unless the reason is right in front of me and I'm just being really stupid.
  • rny91415
    Options
    Im almost 300 lbs and im 5'1
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    Im almost 300 lbs and im 5'1

Ahh ok. Might seem like an ignorant question... but couldn't you just maintain a caloric deficit and lose weight without the bypass? I'm generally interested... and I also have no idea.
  • rny91415
    Options
    Yes but ive tried so hard since i was like 10 im ready to finally fix my life
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering why the surgery, unless is cause of health reason. I have not got it done and don't want to. I do know 4 people who have, three of them have made is a lifestyle change, they now work out and eat right, unfortunately the fourth, once they where able to start eating again, they chose to continue to eat all the wrong foods, was not active and yes put all the weight back on in a couple years. I wish you much success on your journey.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes but ive tried so hard since i was like 10 im ready to finally fix my life

Did you have a caloric deficit before while trying?

I know this sounds really obnoxious, but it seems like you haven't tried if nothing worked... the gastric bypass will restrict the amount of calories you absorb... which will make you lose weight.. just what a caloric deficit would do.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I have 2 co-workers who've had it done. Initially after the surgery they both lost lots of weight. Now 4 years later both have gained back the weight. One gained all the weight back and then some. The other gained most of her weight back, granted she's not as big as she was before but she is close. One thing I did notice about both of them, they never learned how to eat "right". By that I mean, they went right back to eating more than they burned daily.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It takes longer, but is so much more effective to simply curtail calories and increase exercise. I have a friend who did it, and yes, she lost about 50 pounds right away, but has stayed at that weight which is about 150 pounds more than she should weigh. She feels it was a success.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    IMO, your therapist should be your main focus. Why? Because GB only takes care of what you physically do. The mentality of why one doesn't have control should be more addressed. It's NOT uncommon for people who have GB to adopt a different type of addiction like alcohol, gambling, etc. because they just can't address it eating anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rny91415
    Options
    Im doing this cause i have health problems too... sleep apnea and GERD i plan on changing my life style now so that i wont go back.. and diets have worked i never stuck to them im a yo yo dieter not saying this is a quick fix its just a tool to finally help me on my journey. Im just excited i have a long road ahead but i finally see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Im doing this cause i have health problems too... sleep apnea and GERD i plan on changing my life style now so that i wont go back.. and diets have worked i never stuck to them im a yo yo dieter not saying this is a quick fix its just a tool to finally help me on my journey. Im just excited i have a long road ahead but i finally see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel

I hope so. I'd suggest you start learning about portion control, moderation, cico, etc because if you have a problem sticking to "diets" you're just running in circles.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

I feel very sad for you. This surgery is giving you hope eternal, and it's probably not going to happen. Please re-think this. Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
  • rny91415
    Options
    I actually do want to see a therapist possibly. And i have so much support and visions of me and how i would like to look and feel so i can go to the gym everyday and not be worn out after 20 mins walking... i just need the initial push
  • rny91415
    Options
    I have been obsessed with learning about the new life style for months now... and if i even started without this i would always be in the same boat... so i have a little help with this tool i am reviving. So what? Even if i dont have it done i will work just as hard as when i do have it done thats all
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have 2 co-workers who've had it done. Initially after the surgery they both lost lots of weight. Now 4 years later both have gained back the weight. One gained all the weight back and then some. The other gained most of her weight back, granted she's not as big as she was before but she is close. One thing I did notice about both of them, they never learned how to eat "right". By that I mean, they went right back to eating more than they burned daily.

The same thing happened to someone I work with. She has stopped losing (way too early in my opinion) and the toaster oven was filled with deep fried chicken tenders and french fries. So, she really hasn't learned anything. She also thinks it was a success

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I actually do want to see a therapist possibly. And i have so much support and visions of me and how i would like to look and feel so i can go to the gym everyday and not be worn out after 20 mins walking... i just need the initial push
    I did not have gastric bypass surgery, but I lost 100+ on my own. FOR ME, all of those vision were moot. The outcome was not as it was visioned, some things were awesome and other's were underwhelming. Don't let your vision's set you up for a let down. I believe that it may be more taxing on you since once you have surgery the weight usually moves very quickly in the beginning and you will have a short adjustment period.

I wish you the best, but take it day by day. Get thee to a therapist pronto and stay with them.

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    OP, why a gastric bypass instead of a gastric sleeve. My BIL had a sleeve--was 450, now 210. Another friend had the sleeve and lost 80 pounds. Both are doing well. Good luck!!!!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    You are only 26 years old.