having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options

Replies

• kak22283
    kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also, to the OP, try other online forums, like thinner times and obesity help, they're WLS forums that will give you the support you're looking for. Let's be honest, you posted on a general weight loss board, on a non WLS website... Best of luck to you!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kak22283 wrote: »
    Also, to the OP, try other online forums, like thinner times and obesity help, they're WLS forums that will give you the support you're looking for. Let's be honest, you posted on a general weight loss board, on a non WLS website... Best of luck to you!!!

So we should only support what appears to be a hastily made decision and not list the dangers of such drastic choices? Okay then....
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    garber6th wrote: »
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    It's the water issue that makes me say hecks no. Your reduced stomach will only hold about 2 tbs of food/liquid at a sitting. How exactly are you going to drink enough water when you exercise? My cousin had it done, and she has to carry a water bottle around all day and take sips. She does not exercise because she cannot really replace the sweat with water quick enough.

Not sure where you got this information from - 2 tbs? I do an hour on the elliptical and finish a 23 oz bottle of water while doing so. I can eat much more than 2 tbs at a time. At first you can't eat/drink quite that much, but as you heal that changes. Your information is incorrect. Sounds like your cousin might be one of those people who gets surgery but doesn't want to do the work that needs to be done to go with it to ensure more success.
    You're two years post op? Did you have more restrictions when you just finished surgery? My mom had GB, and she was told about a shot glass worth of food/liquid at a time, although frequently just because her stomach was so small. I think it depends on the type of surgery as well.

This is misleading. The restrictions you are describing are only in place for the first week or two after the surgery.

OP, my mom had GB several years ago, and she lost a lot of weight. She has definitely regained weight though, and while she is smaller, she also lost a TON of muscle mass due to rapid weight loss and not doing weight bearing exercises. My mom is a good example of people who take the "easy solution" approach to the surgery. She had nutrient deficiencies because she didn't drastically change the diet; she ate small portions of the things she liked, but she severely lacked vitamins in her diet, and her hair started falling out. She knew she should get to the gym, and she'd go for a month or two, and then stop. And no matter how many times I've told her it's important to do weight bearing exercises, when she does go to the gym, she insists on doing water aerobics.

But she's lost weight right? Weight loss is not a cure-all by any means, however for a lot of people who are unable to do it on their own or for people who keep yoyoing, they are still better off being at a lower weight than they were before. As to it being an easy solution, from what I've heard of it, the way people end up eating less after surgery is because they quickly feel nauseous and sick if they try to repeat old habits. That's a pretty miserable way to live and it certainly does not seem easy.

You are absolutely right that it's better not to have surgery and there can be all sorts of complications afterwards. On the other hand, heart disease is still the #1 killer in the developed world and complications from that or type II diabetes are not a healthy way to live either.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Of course we, and OP know, it is her choice, and no strangers on the internet is going to change it. But she asked for advice, and some people's advice was 'don't do it'. No meanness about it, just honesty.

I'm not sure when "honesty" became "tactlessness," but that honesty excuse is really overused here on MFP.

I notice this similar phrase in a lot of posts: "But I'm helping by being brutally honest!" Brutality does not need to be conjoined to honesty. That's like saying something cannot be honest unless it is brutal. It seems very self-serving. Which, I'm pretty sure, is what @kak22283 meant when she wrote "So stop being so mean."
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Oh well, sorry I'm late, or early, I guess that's what happens when I have other stuff to do than sit on the Internet. BYE....

LOL
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    It's the water issue that makes me say hecks no. Your reduced stomach will only hold about 2 tbs of food/liquid at a sitting. How exactly are you going to drink enough water when you exercise? My cousin had it done, and she has to carry a water bottle around all day and take sips. She does not exercise because she cannot really replace the sweat with water quick enough.

Not sure where you got this information from - 2 tbs? I do an hour on the elliptical and finish a 23 oz bottle of water while doing so. I can eat much more than 2 tbs at a time. At first you can't eat/drink quite that much, but as you heal that changes. Your information is incorrect. Sounds like your cousin might be one of those people who gets surgery but doesn't want to do the work that needs to be done to go with it to ensure more success.
    You're two years post op? Did you have more restrictions when you just finished surgery? My mom had GB, and she was told about a shot glass worth of food/liquid at a time, although frequently just because her stomach was so small. I think it depends on the type of surgery as well.

This is misleading. The restrictions you are describing are only in place for the first week or two after the surgery.

OP, my mom had GB several years ago, and she lost a lot of weight. She has definitely regained weight though, and while she is smaller, she also lost a TON of muscle mass due to rapid weight loss and not doing weight bearing exercises. My mom is a good example of people who take the "easy solution" approach to the surgery. She had nutrient deficiencies because she didn't drastically change the diet; she ate small portions of the things she liked, but she severely lacked vitamins in her diet, and her hair started falling out. She knew she should get to the gym, and she'd go for a month or two, and then stop. And no matter how many times I've told her it's important to do weight bearing exercises, when she does go to the gym, she insists on doing water aerobics.

But she's lost weight right? Weight loss is not a cure-all by any means, however for a lot of people who are unable to do it on their own or for people who keep yoyoing, they are still better off being at a lower weight than they were before. As to it being an easy solution, from what I've heard of it, the way people end up eating less after surgery is because they quickly feel nauseous and sick if they try to repeat old habits. That's a pretty miserable way to live and it certainly does not seem easy.

You are absolutely right that it's better not to have surgery and there can be all sorts of complications afterwards. On the other hand, heart disease is still the #1 killer in the developed world and complications from that or type II diabetes are not a healthy way to live either.

I in no way meant to dissuade the OP, and you're right, my first comment isn't that that poster was wrong, but it is a limitation, it's just right after the surgery.

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't have the surgery; I'm trying to prove the point what happens when someone *does* try to use it as an easy way out. It works for a little bit, and then it stops working. Weight loss takes effort, surgery or not. And the OP has stated repeatedly, she realizes it's a tool.

I guess I was trying to provide incentive and evidence for doing it right; listen to doctors' advice on the types of foods to do, get exercise as allowed, etc. And my big take away was to START NOW. It takes a while to build habits, and it will be hard post op because surgery takes a lot out of people in general. It's best to try and start building healthy habits now to make it a little easier post op.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had the surgery. Most have lost weight, some have regained.

Everyone one of them now has serious problems eating food. They have to be very careful what they eat or they have "issues". Presumably they end up throwing up and/or have diarrhea. We've never gone into details but when we go out to eat they are excusing themselves to the restroom every 5 minutes.

I believe many of these procedures require the patient to lose X amount of weight before the procedure. Have you done that? Are you required to?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So we should only support what appears to be a hastily made decision and not list the dangers of such drastic choices? Okay then....

Not at all, but one can deliver this message with kindness rather than "brutal honesty" or "tough love."

(Only one or two posts registered as being unhelpful, but I haven't been keeping score.)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know several people who have had the surgery. Most have lost weight, some have regained.

Everyone one of them now has serious problems eating food. They have to be very careful what they eat or they have "issues". Presumably they end up throwing up and/or have diarrhea. We've never gone into details but when we go out to eat they are excusing themselves to the restroom every 5 minutes.

I believe many of these procedures require the patient to lose X amount of weight before the procedure. Have you done that? Are you required to?

I have had surgery and I have no serious problems at all. Not everyone has problems. Problems can occur when you start to eat too much, or eat certain things before you have healed properly, etc. Problems are generally avoidable and individuals often cause their own discomfort.

ETA - people who don't do what they are supposed to do have problems and often stall or regain, but if you follow the plan you can be very successful.

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i would just be so sad to not eat as much food as i wanted....

I also don't understand the doing this big surgery without seeing a therapist and or nutritionist, in my opinion (which obviously doesn't count for much) a doctor should require a patient see a therapist and nutritionist and attempt to lose weigh the old fashion way before they do this life altering thing to their bodies.

But it seems nowadays doctors are more about fixing the problems rather than preventing the problems.

To each their own, but I really don't like these procedures except in extremely extreme cases.

Good luck OP, I hope you find what you're looking for.
  • garber6th
    Options

I also don't understand the doing this big surgery without seeing a therapist and or nutritionist, in my opinion (which obviously doesn't count for much) a doctor should require a patient see a therapist and nutritionist and attempt to lose weigh the old fashion way before they do this life altering thing to their bodies.

But it seems nowadays doctors are more about fixing the problems rather than preventing the problems.

To each their own, but I really don't like these procedures except in extremely extreme cases.

These days, most programs do require seeing a therapist for an evaluation and nutrition classes. My program had that and also a requirement to attend support groups that had people who were both pre-surgery and post-surgery. I started therapy a year before I ever contemplated surgery. I believe your head has to be in the right place for lifestyle changes of any kind to work.

• slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

These days, most programs do require seeing a therapist for an evaluation and nutrition classes. My program had that and also a requirement to attend support groups that had people who were both pre-surgery and post-surgery. I started therapy a year before I ever contemplated surgery. I believe your head has to be in the right place for lifestyle changes of any kind to work.

from the sounds of it the OP isn't required to see a therapist or a nutritionist, which is why there is concern
  • garber6th
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    from the sounds of it the OP isn't required to see a therapist or a nutritionist, which is why there is concern

Totally understandable. I can't imagine going through the process without my surgeon and his awesome support staff. A good surgical team will not just perform surgery and send you on your way, they will give you the tools you need to optimize the procedure.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Problems are generally avoidable and individuals often cause their own discomfort.

Oh absolutely. I believe that is the case for all my friends who have had it done. But if they did not have the self-discipline to engage in behavior modification before the surgery, it's not surprising to me that they don't have it afterwards, either.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Problems are generally avoidable and individuals often cause their own discomfort.

Oh absolutely. I believe that is the case for all my friends who have had it done. But if they did not have the self-discipline to engage in behavior modification before the surgery, it's not surprising to me that they don't have it afterwards, either.

And if they could, they wouldn't need the surgery.

WLS is a concept that I find very hard to understand.
  • Nina_2723
    Nina_2723 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am new to the site, (well returning from ages ago). Seeing as the month is almost over you have probably already had your surgery, but I just wanted to see how it all went for you. I had the surgery myself in August and am looking to connect with others to trade stories, tips and advice and support.
    If interested feel free to send me a message.
    Good luck on you journey
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering why the surgery, unless is cause of health reason. I have not got it done and don't want to. I do know 4 people who have, three of them have made is a lifestyle change, they now work out and eat right, unfortunately the fourth, once they where able to start eating again, they chose to continue to eat all the wrong foods, was not active and yes put all the weight back on in a couple years. I wish you much success on your journey.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    This will be unfortunate. Once you remove a chunk of your intestine you will no longer be able to digest foods properly, nor extract needed nutrients. This is a temporary Band-Aid approach that treats the symptom rather than the cause. You'll be sorry in the long run. Better to focus on diet. I wish you luck anyway.
  • Jboo7825
    Jboo7825 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    Yes but ive tried so hard since i was like 10 im ready to finally fix my life

I just want you to know it will not fix your life, you have to fix your life. This surgery is just a tool, if you don't use your tool in the right way you will find yourself right back in this spot. I post this off experience. I had the gastric sleeve in 2011 and oh boy was it a journey. I was very sick after couldn't drink water for about two weeks just sick. Then I found a way to hold it in drinking it at room temperature. I vomited after every meal for a while still do from time to time. But you do lose weight due to not eating much because of the reduction of stomach size. This is only a temporary fix it only becomes permanent if you adapt to the lifestyle change to keep it off. I failed bcuz I went back to old habits of eating crap often & not being active and the weight has come back quickly. Good luck on this lifestyle change i've been where you are with this decision I hope you use your tool wisely. ..
  • Jboo7825
    Jboo7825 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    i would just be so sad to not eat as much food as i wanted.... when you dont have cormalities of high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or diabetic, some things are ruled out. I had none of the cormalities so I made a good candidate for wls but I did have to see a psychologist and nutrition before and after surgery the psychologist is much needed because off all the things you go thur after. Good luck