having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options

Replies

• tluther724
    tluther724 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For people judging OP for thinking of having WLS, it is a tool to help lose weight, not "instant gratification". You still have to follow the surgeon's diet and exercise to be able to lose weight. Typically people who have this surgery have tried everything and this is a last resort. OP just wanted to know if anyone had it, not to be told to try a "calorie deficit". Of course he or she has. We all have.

I had the sleeve in July. I have lost 73 lbs all together. I suggest no matter what surgery you have to be diligent about getting in your protein and water. Walk every day- even if you can only do a few minutes at a time. It helps. Also attend a support group. Best of luck.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    Hey everyone im having gastric bypass a month from Friday... eek :) im wondering if anyone else here has had it or planning to do it... im starting my own diet for the next 2 week's.. not going crazy with it but going to eat pretty healthy. Then after two weeks i start my pre op diet.. oh boy... just looking for advice or friends :)

My question to you is how much do you have to lose?

I haven't had gastric bypass but my SIL and 3 of her sisters did. My SIL lost over 100 pounds in a short time, had digestive troubles, got a lot of hanging skin all over her body, and eventually gained about half of the weight back. She still has digestive problems, and that was five years ago she had the surgery. She has told me if she had it to do it over again she would not have done it.

Her sisters didn't lose a whole lot of weight, but gained back what they dId lose.

The only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit, and you can do that without surgery. Your results will be slower but you'll be able to build good eating habits that will take you through your life.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    To all the ones on this post who are just saying negative things you can leave... i am doing this for me. Yes it is a long a hard road basically im starting out eating as if i was a baby learning tp eat again and having a healthy relationship with food. I do plan on seeing a therapist and possibly a nutritionist after. I have known a lot of people with success but also a lot with regain. This is a TOOL not a fix. Im excited but nervous as this is my first surgery. And i am not a child i have done so much research and planning it would makd your head spin. And to the others giving great advice and support thank you :)

People are being honest with you, but I'm sorry if you choose to see it as negative. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    It's the water issue that makes me say hecks no. Your reduced stomach will only hold about 2 tbs of food/liquid at a sitting. How exactly are you going to drink enough water when you exercise? My cousin had it done, and she has to carry a water bottle around all day and take sips. She does not exercise because she cannot really replace the sweat with water quick enough.

I manage an active lifestyle after Bariatric surgery just fine. I do carry a water bottle with me.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I only read the first couple of pages but I don't understand why people are questioning the OP's reasons for doing the surgery. If it's the best that the OP and her Dr decided in then why not support her decision. Just because one person wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's a good fit for another person. OP if this is something you are choosing then I am sure you have exhausted all other options and you and your DR made this decision together. I know several people who have had so much success with getting this done, I'm sure you will be happy you did this. Yes it's major surgery, but it's your body and your decision. Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Why question the plan? Because too many people view this as a quick fix and easy answer. It is neither. And if you don't make the necessary changes in lifestyle the weight will come back and you end up far worse off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone im having gastric bypass a month from Friday... eek :) im wondering if anyone else here has had it or planning to do it... im starting my own diet for the next 2 week's.. not going crazy with it but going to eat pretty healthy. Then after two weeks i start my pre op diet.. oh boy... just looking for advice or friends :)

@rny91415 I looked for a post surgery update. If I missed it in this thread I am sorry but I am wishing you success.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why question the plan? Because too many people view this as a quick fix and easy answer. It is neither. And if you don't make the necessary changes in lifestyle the weight will come back and you end up far worse off.

And the rest of us view it as an unneccesary, hard and dangerous answer. You still have to do the things everybody else have to do to lose weight - eat less, move more. But in addition you'll have a crippled stomach and intestines, life long malabsorbtions, and you can never eat your favorite foods again, and never a normal adult sized meal, without risking pain and vomiting.

I have started calling this operation "barbaric surgery".
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    The OP hasn't logged back in since the first day. I guess since she didn't get the answer she wanted she quit listening. That's not a good sign even for her success with such surgery. There was just such a "quick fix/magic pill" vibe going on and far too little physical and psychological preparation outlined.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    The OP did NOT ask whether she should have the surgery. Surgery talk is allowed here.

You need to meet people where they are. Not where YOU think they should be.

The holier-than-thou people here are a big turn-off.

I hope she got the support she was seeking somewhere else since she was chased away from here.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

And the rest of us view it as an unneccesary, hard and dangerous answer. You still have to do the things everybody else have to do to lose weight - eat less, move more. But in addition you'll have a crippled stomach and intestines, life long malabsorbtions, and you can never eat your favorite foods again, and never a normal adult sized meal, without risking pain and vomiting.

And yet the fact still remains that more people are successful keeping weight off with bariatric surgery than any other method. Most people who try to lose weight "the normal way" fail. Surgery should not be anyone's first resort but if repeated attempts at weight loss have not been successful, surgery is better than continuing the yo-yo cycle of losing and regaining - never mind the negative effects this has on your mental health too.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Opinions are like butt holes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. In an ideal world we'd all live on foraged nuts and berries and the world would be a verdant haven and we'd all be naked and sexy.

OP, you need to do what you need to do. If you have talked to a doctor (or several) and you have discussed it with the people you live with, and your family, or whomever is important to you, and if your health is compromised more by not doing it than the potential risk of doing it, then you're the only person who can give the final go / no-go to the whole thing.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

And yet the fact still remains that more people are successful keeping weight off with bariatric surgery than any other method. Most people who try to lose weight "the normal way" fail. Surgery should not be anyone's first resort but if repeated attempts at weight loss have not been successful, surgery is better than continuing the yo-yo cycle of losing and regaining - never mind the negative effects this has on your mental health too.

Nobody said that people can't keep the weight off after surgery. One person that I've seen so far said she's kep her weight off.

Please back up your assertion with peer reviewed research.

I posted up stream of four women (my sister in law and her three sisters) who were not successful with keeping the weight off after gastric bypass, and that's in real life.

• SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    The OP did NOT ask whether she should have the surgery. Surgery talk is allowed here.

You need to meet people where they are. Not where YOU think they should be.

The holier-than-thou people here are a big turn-off.

I hope she got the support she was seeking somewhere else since she was chased away from here.

Well, I hope she does well too. However, nobody here is responsible for her decision to not come back and post anymore. She did ask for advice and got it.

ETA: Didn't realize this was from back in August either. She's either had it or not. Would love to hear too.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I hate this thread so much. Bariatric surgery is definitely the "easy way out". I can understand the need for surgery in the instances when a person is so overweight that their mobility is affected, death is knocking at their door and a "quick fix" is needed to save their life. Otherwise, this surgery is ridiculous. If you are physically and mentally capable enough to get in your car and drive to the store to get the food that's making you obese, then you are able to start a little exercise routine, make better food choices, and get yourself to a therapist and nutritionist and work on your relationship with food.

If you've lost weight in the past and failed to keep it off because you've failed to truly change your lifestyle, then bariatric surgery is STILL not going to help. You'll still have a warped relationship with food, only this time your body physically cannot hold the volume as it did pre-surgery. I know SEVERAL people who have "eaten through" their surgeries (i.e. stretched their stomach back out) because the true issue was not addressed.

Your relationship with food needs to be evaluated and altered, NOT your body.

But have fun vomiting, feeling stuffed, and taking lots of pills for the rest of your life (if you are one of the small percentages who actually succeed). I'll be over here losing weight AND eating three slices of pizza :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Peer reviewed study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23163728/

Definitely supports people like me.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This surgery causes a host of health problems and won't change the underlying problem. I hate to see that happen to you.