having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options

Replies

• jsjzisj
    jsjzisj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have 2 co-workers who've had it done. Initially after the surgery they both lost lots of weight. Now 4 years later both have gained back the weight. One gained all the weight back and then some. The other gained most of her weight back, granted she's not as big as she was before but she is close. One thing I did notice about both of them, they never learned how to eat "right". By that I mean, they went right back to eating more than they burned daily.

You NEED to see a proper nutritionist who really wants to work with you after a surgery like that. You cant do it on your own, and your story is way too common.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Atypical, kids are having bariatric surgery.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    May I ask what procedure it is? Is it Roux-en-Y? If it is, I would rethink it. My ex-wife had it and I can tell you it led to many more unforeseen health issues for her years after it. Thought she never tired losing weight from diet and exercise. That was years ago. I believe there are more options available now. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    I actually do want to see a therapist possibly. And i have so much support and visions of me and how i would like to look and feel so i can go to the gym everyday and not be worn out after 20 mins walking... i just need the initial push

I was worn out with 40 minutes of walking in April but walked 2.5 hours Saturday. (Well, strolled, TBH. But I've been gradually increasing my activity while in a calorie deficit and am happy with the results.)

Surgery may truly be the best option for you. But I think you should explore this with a therapist before you go under the knife. It's major surgery.

There are many people on these forums who have lost well over 100 pounds and I bet all of them had failures before their success.
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im doing this cause i have health problems too... sleep apnea and GERD i plan on changing my life style now so that i wont go back.. and diets have worked i never stuck to them im a yo yo dieter not saying this is a quick fix its just a tool to finally help me on my journey. Im just excited i have a long road ahead but i finally see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel

Good Luck on your journey.

Just a caution, If no diets work before, no diets are going to work afterwards. You have to change your habits and mindset towards food or you will quickly gain all your weight back. I'm confident with the right information and being surrounded by the right people you will be able to change that.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »

That is so sad. Instant gratification with no accountability. Yikes!!!
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric band years ago, lost around 6 stones, I had some great years because of that weight loss, but I did regain it and a couple more stones when it slipped out of place and caused reflux. :( Different surgery to you though and the band was reversible and has now been removed.

This may be controversial, but GO FOR IT! Make the most of the first year as I hear the weight loss can stall after a year, and enjoy getting your life back.

Research any health complication too, and make sure you are getting all vitamins you need..
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I don't think you have any idea what this type of surgery is like if you consider it "Instant gratification". Maybe educate yourself in how difficult this is before posting things like that. The difference is, you can't give up, it's done.. doesn't mean it's easy.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I actually do want to see a therapist possibly. And i have so much support and visions of me and how i would like to look and feel so i can go to the gym everyday and not be worn out after 20 mins walking... i just need the initial push

Do you think your initial diet and then pre-op diet, if you lose enough weight, could be your initial push?

I ask because i had several co-morbidities and they offered me surgery myself....but i got the dr to fix the other reasons i was unable to lose weight first, then once i started losing and keeping it off, my other co-morbidities went away, and i was encouraged enough to keep going without all the pain of surgery.

My aunt had gb, she had a rough time with all the stuff going along with it, but it did work for her. I know someone else who had it and then put all the weight back on. So i guess it's a crapshoot, you really do have to address the underlying issues and it's truly not a quick fix. It's hard.

Good luck no matter what you decide
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »

I don't think you have any idea what this type of surgery is like if you consider it "Instant gratification". Maybe educate yourself in how difficult this is before posting things like that. The difference is, you can't give up, it's done.. doesn't mean it's easy.

Actually, you are wrong in your assessment of my knowledge. I have known many people who have done this in their 50s and 60s, and none of them have succeeded. This was unheard of when I was 26. No, it's not easy, having major surgery to force you to curtail eating which is something you can easily build up determination to do. Having major surgery is HARD compared to just cutting down your calories and exercising more. I just hate to see anyone who is only 26 years old doing that. What the hell is our society coming to?
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    .. and diets have worked i never stuck to them im a yo yo dieter

Having GB will not eliminate your "yo-yo" dieting. Realize this, whether or not you have GB, in the long run your diet should be the same. GB may help decrease your sense of fullness but only you can make the right choices. If you really want to change your lifestyle, you don't need GB.

GB can be the initial push/ commitment device that gets you started but it will not prevent you from sliding back into your bad habits.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are many people on these forums who have lost well over 100 pounds and I bet all of them had failures before their success.
    You just spoke the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH.

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    op, this website tends to be very anti-gastric operatons, but ultimately it's your life, body and choice. My friend had a gastric sleeve and she says it was the best decision of her life. she says she wakes up happy every day of her life. She has maintained a healthy weight for many years now and she wears clothes she never dreamed of being able to. I personally want to lose the weight on my own but I totally understand why people choose gastric surgery instead. Good luck with your pre-op diet.
  • rny91415
    rny91415 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    To all the ones on this post who are just saying negative things you can leave... i am doing this for me. Yes it is a long a hard road basically im starting out eating as if i was a baby learning tp eat again and having a healthy relationship with food. I do plan on seeing a therapist and possibly a nutritionist after. I have known a lot of people with success but also a lot with regain. This is a TOOL not a fix. Im excited but nervous as this is my first surgery. And i am not a child i have done so much research and planning it would makd your head spin. And to the others giving great advice and support thank you :)
  • rny91415
    Options
    op, this website tends to be very anti-gastric operatons, but ultimately it's your life, body and choice. My friend had a gastric sleeve and she says it was the best decision of her life. she says she wakes up happy every day of her life. She has maintained a healthy weight for many years now and she wears clothes she never dreamed of being able to. I personally want to lose the weight on my own but I totally understand why people choose gastric surgery instead. Good luck with your pre-op diet.

Thanks so much :) and good luck on yours also
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I'm leaving. Self-control is a lot easier, less expensive, less time-consuming, and a LOT less painful than surgery, but it's definitely your choice.
  • rny91415
    Options
    I'm leaving. Self-control is a lot easier, less expensive, less time-consuming, and a LOT less painful than surgery, but it's definitely your choice.

Thank you for leaving... and like i said this is a tool not a fix. I will be working just as hard as everyone else here. Bye
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine had the lap band. Hardest part was to not over-eat or over-drink (even water). When this happens, you'll puke all over. A requirement the doctor had was an exercise program. I suggest starting your exercise program now, not waiting, so you're body will not have to recover from soreness for the actual surgery at the same time as muscle soreness from the excercise.
    Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @rny91415 I wish you the best of luck. The decision to have a major surgery is a very difficult one. I don't think anyone would choose it if they felt they had a better option. Everyone needs some help now and then and I hope this works for you.

Were it me, I might use this pre-op time to sample what my diet would be like after surgery and get informed on my post op resources like therapists and nutritionists.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I've worked at a few hospitals with strong bariatric programs, and they required (or at least strongly encouraged0 mental health evaluations and counseling months before approving and after surgery. And a structured diet prior to the surgery. Support group sessions afterwards. I hope the medical team you're seeing also requires this . . . continued care and counseling sessions greatly improves outcomes because it's such a drastic, permanent change in lifestyle with both mental and physical elements.

I hope you have a good experience and outcome. If you're looking for friends going that route, I think I've seen some threads about surgical weight-loss interventions pop up on the Support & Motivation board.