having gastric bypass surgery in September

Options

Replies

• ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting gastric bypass. I just want an answer to one question: What are you going to do different post-op in order to not yo-yo diet? Like what steps are you going to take in order to achieve that?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rny91415 wrote: »
    To all the ones on this post who are just saying negative things you can leave... i am doing this for me. Yes it is a long a hard road basically im starting out eating as if i was a baby learning tp eat again and having a healthy relationship with food. I do plan on seeing a therapist and possibly a nutritionist after. I have known a lot of people with success but also a lot with regain. This is a TOOL not a fix. Im excited but nervous as this is my first surgery. And i am not a child i have done so much research and planning it would makd your head spin. And to the others giving great advice and support thank you :)

I see people being realistic, which may come across as negative, but real life often is.

Major surgery would make me nervous too. Since you are planning to change the way you eat and your relationship with food anyway, why not do it first and push the surgery back? And maybe you will end up not needing the surgery after all.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    To all the ones on this post who are just saying negative things you can leave... i am doing this for me. Yes it is a long a hard road basically im starting out eating as if i was a baby learning tp eat again and having a healthy relationship with food. I do plan on seeing a therapist and possibly a nutritionist after. I have known a lot of people with success but also a lot with regain. This is a TOOL not a fix. Im excited but nervous as this is my first surgery. And i am not a child i have done so much research and planning it would makd your head spin. And to the others giving great advice and support thank you :)

I see people being realistic, which may come across as negative, but real life often is.

Major surgery would make me nervous too. Since you are planning to change the way you eat and your relationship with food anyway, why not do it first and push the surgery back? And maybe you will end up not needing the surgery after all.

Negative is probably the most overused here and I notice it's only thrown out when people don't agree with the OP.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Negative is probably the most overused here and I notice it's only thrown out when people don't agree with the OP.

I guess throwing my own personal experience with being offered surgery and declining is a moot point and negative, as well. Why bother trying to help when you either get called names or get completely ignored when you don't immediately say what the op wants to hear?

Here is where i run away. Buhbye
  • rny91415
    rny91415 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take criticism very well. One person was just plain mean. I know i will have "haters" most people just dont understand it or have seen just the negative. I am in this for a lifetime.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I take criticism very well. One person was just plain mean. I know i will have "haters" most people just dont understand it or have seen just the negative. I am in this for a lifetime.

Who?
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for leaving... and like i said this is a tool not a fix. I will be working just as hard as everyone else here. Bye

Good luck on your journey and I sincerely mean that! In order for you to be successful long term, you will have to work just as hard and do ALL of the things that the successful folks here doing as well. The main difference is that you are going to spend several thousands of yours or someone else’s money to achieve this as compared to the average successful person here.

I think you are misinterpreting peoples honesty for negativity. It is going to take a lot of patience, discipline (self-control),sacrifice, mental prep, ect. (aka Lifestyle change) to be successful. Surgery does little to address the majority of what is needed for most of us to permanently lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say anyone is a "hater" of you. They're just pointing out the fact that even gastric bypass surgery isn't the miracle weight loss option. People have gained the weight back after that type of surgery. Also, they're showing that with a little dedication, you could lose the weight without surgery.

• rny91415
    Options
    She said she would no longer post so im not worried about it nor did i really care say what you want. Im just wanting new people to talk to thats all
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Found this by googling: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3470459/

The conclusion:

"At present, weight loss surgery is the most effective and sustainable treatment option for severe obesity as long as the individual is motivated to make the lifestyle changes required."
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not sure how this works, but given your age, I would really want to know from the doctors how this might affect future fertility and pregnancy. Just throwing it out there!

Best wishes to you on whichever path you choose.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked there are surgeons that will perform the surgery if you don't have preop mental health and nutritional counseling. I thought most insurance companies required 6 months on some sort of weight loss plan before they would even approve it.

Either way, best of luck no matter what you decide.
  • rny91415
    Options
    OP, I'm not sure how this works, but given your age, I would really want to know from the doctors how this might affect future fertility and pregnancy. Just throwing it out there!

Best wishes to you on whichever path you choose.

Actually one of the reasons im doing it. I can't have Normal pills cause wont be good in my new system and they say not to have children for 2 years this surgery makes you more fertile. Kids are my life i wouldn't be doing it if i couldnt have any
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So you would rather risk death from major surgery (which is a very real possibility from anesthesia, the surgery itself, malnutrition after the fact) than try to adhere to a calorie deficit and see if that leads to more reasonable weight loss?

Gastric bypass is supposed to be a last resort, usually for those with multiple comorbidities who are at risk of death in the near future from their weight, not an alternative to putting in the hard work/lack of determination to stick with something long term.
  • rny91415
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Found this by googling: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3470459/

The conclusion:

"At present, weight loss surgery is the most effective and sustainable treatment option for severe obesity as long as the individual is motivated to make the lifestyle changes required."

Thank you. Yes that is exactly right im old enough to know it's not going to make me instantly healthy. Its a life style change
  • rny91415
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So you would rather risk death from major surgery (which is a very real possibility from anesthesia, the surgery itself, malnutrition after the fact) than try to adhere to a calorie deficit and see if that leads to more reasonable weight loss?

Gastric bypass is supposed to be a last resort, usually for those with multiple comorbidities who are at risk of death in the near future from their weight, not an alternative to putting in the hard work/lack of determination to stick with something long term.

If i was 250 or below i wouldnt be doing this.. my health is at risk and i want to live a long time and be able to have kids and see them grow up. As i said before i do need a therapist and everything like that but its a tool i will be glad i have
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I had the sleeve surgery almost two years ago. I have lost over 200 lbs. It saved my life. I actually haven't even heard of anyone dying from having the surgery but I have sure heard of people dying without it. Complications can happen with any surgery. People die from every day surgeries every day but they still take that risk if it means that the surgery will improve their health or situation.

Part of my success is that before I ever considered surgery, I started therapy, which I have continued throughout the process, to make sure my head was in the right place. I also made lifestyle changes, and now I work out regularly and have a trainer.

It's true that some people think surgery is like a magic pill and will change everything, and those people probably won't see much success, but for people who use surgery as a tool rather than a crutch will see great results.

Could I have lost the weight without surgery? Maybe. I have lost 100s of lbs during my lifetime. Maybe was not good enough for me so I chose to take my health into my own hands, and now, I have great health and a great quality of life. I would do it all over again.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

If i was 250 or below i wouldnt be doing this.. my health is at risk and i want to live a long time and be able to have kids and see them grow up. As i said before i do need a therapist and everything like that but its a tool i will be glad i have

If you die during surgery, those aren't going to happen. You could easily lose 50 lbs in the next 5-6 months, just by eating less. So in 5-6 months you wouldn't consider the surgery? I am sorry if you think this is harsh, but surgery carries risk, and if 50 lbs is the line you create that determines if you get the surgery or not, I would seriously question if it was a good choice. There is also the chance that the surgery leaves you permanently scarred, or disabled. Honestly, it sounds like this is a decision you made hastily without thinking of all the consequences.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @rny91415 , I wish you all success and I predict you will be very happy with the results. I had the bypass done just over a year ago and I'm 85 pounds down. Here's a group you might enjoy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

I think a sensible diet now leading up to the liquid diet before surgery is smart. MFP can help with that. Calorie counting and logging comes in VERY handy both before and after surgery. For the first six weeks after surgery my goal become getting in ENOUGH calories daily. I credit calorie logging with my fairly swift and symptom free recovery.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP Disagreeing does not equal hating.