Best SHOES To Wear To Get Fit

Options
What's the best brand to buy I want something comfortable where my feet don't hurt afterwards i'm just going to be doing cardio elliptical treadmill I know there has to be shoes made just for working out

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I like Asics Gel Enduro, which they no longer make, and am fixing to order ASICS Gel-Venture® 5 and ASICS Gel-Kahana® 7 from Zappos and keep the pair that turns out to be closest to the Enduros. (Free shipping both ways!)
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have asics, which I hear are the best running shoes? Mine are from like... 2008, so I'm thinking about getting new ones. Plus... They are sooo ugly.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Socks and sandles. You will for ever be fleeing the fashion police and getting in plenty of cardio.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to be wearers choice here, but personally, I like New balance and Nike's.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Socks and sandles. You will for ever be fleeing the fashion police and getting in plenty of cardio.

LOL!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Asics are amazing if you have bad feet to begin with, they are very cushy. (I was a waitress/bartender for a long time and my feet are worn out, for example.) Go to a running store and get your feet measured - there's so much that goes into finding a pair that won't cause you pain in the future, you need a professional. They cost the same as if you went to a Sport Authority, plus you are helping small businesses in your community. They can tell you which shoes are the best for YOU.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I have asics, which I hear are the best running shoes? Mine are from like... 2008, so I'm thinking about getting new ones. Plus... They are sooo ugly.

Meh, at the gym my criteria for footwear is function, not fashion.

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A running store is a good idea, but if you don't have one near you then at the very least go to a shoe store where you can try on a bunch of different ones. I like the warehouse-type ones where all the shoes are out on the floor so you don't have to wait for a salesperson to fetch them from the back. Try on a bunch of different brands, and try a half size up or down from what you usually wear (in addition to the size you think you wear). They are all cut just a bit differently...but when you find the one that's meant to be on your foot you'll think "aaaaaaaahhhhh". lol.

Then after that you could try ordering online if you know you can order the same thing. Mostly I never order shoes online because I have an odd foot and I always end up having to return something, and I hate doing that. lol
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing Asics for years and I love them! So comfy, even after a 12 hour work shift walking/standing the whole time.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Kimegatron wrote: »

Meh, at the gym my criteria for footwear is function, not fashion.

I have to wear them EVERY DAY. Not just for exercising. That is what my podiatrist recommends. If I wear my PUMA's, my feet will hurt, even with my orthodic inserts :'( Actually, I need new orthodix too, because in a year, my big toes have bore holes down to the plastic. I am just broke. I will make a GFM and post here, I know you guys will help, right? LOL
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nike Free Runs - really, really light and flexible. They may not fit the bill for everyone, but for gym workouts they're great - for elliptical, spinning, rowing etc. I don't think I quite realised what a weight I had on my feet until I swapped out to the Nikes from my old Reeboks. I agree that you have to try on a load, and get a feel for which make and model suits you. I'm in half a size up from my normal shoes, but they fit me absolutely perfectly. I don't think I'd work out every day, unless I had really comfortable trainers to wear. I've kept my Reeboks for playing tennis, where I need more ankle support than the Nikes give me, so you do have to consider what you plan to do in your trainers. For your purposes, I'd recommend going with something light and flexible.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The first time, visit a running store and have them fit you for shoes. If you supinate or pronate or have high or low arches, your shoe style will have specific requirements. This isn't usually something you know or can diagnose yourself. So visit a running store the first time and ask them to fit you for Asics. Once you get your Asics style name (Kayano, Kahana), you'll just about always wear that shoes. You should get re-fitted every 5 years or 50lb loss, but if you're not changing your weight or stride much, you can pretty much wear the same shoes for a decade or more.

I wear a Kayano, size 7M. I just got re-fitted this past weekend because of a 100lb loss and my size and style didn't change; I've worn the same shoe for 15 years. But otherwise I never, ever need to worry about it. I can order that shoe in any edition and know it'll fit my foot, which makes it a lot easier to shop online and save some money. Asics aren't cheap. In-store, they'll be around $120 or so. Pay it now and get fitted, then save it later.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use Saucony shoes. I get them for like $32 on Amazon. I've spent more in the past but they typically end up dying after 6 months anyway (usually the fabric on top of the toes ends up leaking).
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my nike roche or the nike flyknit. Both very light and great for most activities.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics for running (I'm a pronator) and just a pair of Adidas cross trainers (can't remember the style name) for general working out as my Asics were surprisingly too supportive and gave me terrible cramp. I used to fit running shoes and do gait assessment and shoes are very personal. I found Brooks too hard but others love them.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    What's the best brand to buy I want something comfortable where my feet don't hurt afterwards i'm just going to be doing cardio elliptical treadmill I know there has to be shoes made just for working out

For non-impact activities like elliptical, it won't matter as much as say running outdoors, so just find a shoe that's comfortable for your activity, but if you do begin to do a higher impact activity I would go to a store that specializes in that kind of shoe the first few times so you know what kind of shoe fits your foot and gait. I play tennis in Asics, but I'm loving my new, new balance shoes for running.
  • allanthfc
    allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have some Karimores for my insanity. Nothing wring with them as far as comfort and support. Equally as good as my nikes which have seen better days.
  • mcarr609
    mcarr609 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go to a professional store to get sized up and see what brand & price best suits. Most of the store's employees are trained up and have a machine to get the full dimension of your foot to get the best fit. In Australia we have the store called the Athletes Foot Then I would check out the price on Amazon or similar online store to see if you can save some dosh. Goodluck :smiley:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a running store. They will find the perfect shoe for your based on your activities and then they'll have you run around the store/on a treadmill (depending on the store) to see how your feet are doing in them. Common sources of pain from shoes include inadequate/oversupport of ankles, incorrectly sized toebox (too big or too small both cause issues), too narrow/wide, etc etc.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have gravitated toward Reebok's selection for different types of training.
    I don't think it's the brand that makes that much difference, but I have enjoyed their variety and customer service when issues came up. I own 6 pairs of Reebok workout shoes for each type of training.