Will not eating enough really stop me from losing weight? Suggestions please!

Options
I don't have a very big appetite, ironic as that may be in a woman weighing 300 lbs. I know I don't eat correctly, but aren't calories calories, regardless of where they come from. As I've started this change today, I am going to make a conscious effort to eat better, but I still don't see me eating as many calories as is recommended. Suggestions please!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that the calorie number that MFP recommends for you to lose weight is higher than what you were eating before you began trying to lose weight?

That doesn't make sense unless there is an error in how you input your data.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Eating too little will ruin your health but will not prevent weight loss.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You won't really know how much you're eating until you start logging. May be more than you think.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Log what you'd normally eat. You may be shocked at how many calories it truly is. And honestly log servings. An actual serving of pasta is a lot less than one might think. Same goes for ice cream, and most other foods. I know if left to my own devices, a "bowl" of ice cream or pasta or rice would easily actually be 2-3, if not 4, servings.
  • litnbug
    litnbug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For instance, today is my first day of this, and as I said in my first blog, I wasn't prepared, I just jumped right in. So my eating today is more of a normal day and not an "I'm trying to lose weight day". I already know what I'm having for dinner so I have logged that. My allotted calories is 2390, and after logging everything I've eaten today and what I will eat for dinner, I am only at 1177. No where near what I should be.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eating too little will not stop you from losing weight.

litnbug wrote: »
    My allotted calories is 2390, and after logging everything I've eaten today and what I will eat for dinner, I am only at 1177. No where near what I should be.

I suggest opening your diary. Usually when that's happening, there are inaccuracies in the logging.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • litnbug
    Options
    it's open, I just haven't posted it yet because I thought I may have something else tonight. Hang on and I will!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didn't eat much until I started accurately logging everything I eat and drink here in MFP. You should watch this video, very eye opening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging? Did you use a food scale for all the solids and a measuring cup for any liquids? Use accurate entries, etc?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    For instance, today is my first day of this, and as I said in my first blog, I wasn't prepared, I just jumped right in. So my eating today is more of a normal day and not an "I'm trying to lose weight day". I already know what I'm having for dinner so I have logged that. My allotted calories is 2390, and after logging everything I've eaten today and what I will eat for dinner, I am only at 1177. No where near what I should be.

It sounds like you may be having an issue with accurate logging. It's unlikely that you would be in the position to lose weight if a normal day for you was around 1,200 calories. It's very easy to underestimate what we're consuming, even when we think we're logging it correctly. Would you be willing to open your diary?
  • litnbug
    Options
    I have logged everything that has gone into my mouth today and used measuring spoons for the measurements. Food scale wasn't necessary for today's eating, there was nothing to weigh. Can y'all see my diary?
  • litnbug
    Options
    I fixed it. It is public now
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    this video changed my mind about using a food scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have logged everything that has gone into my mouth today and used measuring spoons for the measurements. Food scale wasn't necessary for today's eating, there was nothing to weigh. Can y'all see my diary?

At least one of the foods you ate (peanut butter) can have significant variations in calories when you don't weigh it.

However, if you're truly confident that these counts are accurate and that it represents a typical day for you, I'm not sure how you gained weight eating 1,200 calories a day. Perhaps continue logging for a week or so to see if this truly does represent a typical day?
  • kk_inprogress
    edited August 2015
    Options

At least one of the foods you ate (peanut butter) can have significant variations in calories when you don't weigh it.

However, if you're truly confident that these counts are accurate and that it represents a typical day for you, I'm not sure how you gained weight eating 1,200 calories a day. Perhaps continue logging for a week or so to see if this truly does represent a typical day?

How are you viewing her diary? When I click her profile, it says it's private.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there's no way in hell that your average day can look like your diary does today and leave you in the position to where you need to lose weight.

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I always suggest people log for at least 2 weeks without changing a thing. You'll usually be able to see where you're having an issue and where you can make cuts. Sometimes, even the smallest cuts can make a huge difference.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Nevermind. I found it. OP, do you usually skip breakfast?
This discussion has been closed.