Will not eating enough really stop me from losing weight? Suggestions please!

Options

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    there's no way in hell that your average day can look like your diary does today and leave you in the position to where you need to lose weight.

IA - that's why I posted that video above hopefully she'll watch it.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    there's no way in hell that your average day can look like your diary does today and leave you in the position to where you need to lose weight.

^^This.
    There's no way you became 300lbs eating only 1200 calories. Either today wasn't typical and you ate way less than you normally would, or your logging is very inaccurate. Either way, 1200 is the absolute minimum for women unless closely medically supervised. Eating under that won't stop you losing weight, but you'll ruin your health.
  • litnbug
    litnbug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kkenseth, I usually have breakfast at least 4 or 5 days a week, today is my day off and started off with a weird morning.
  • litnbug
    Options
    2Poufs, I thought about that, just going about normal eating for a week or so, just to have a basis to go on
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Nevermind. I found it. OP, do you usually skip breakfast?

Breakfast is a personal choice, nothing more. It does not " jump start " one's metabolism every morning, it does not provide extra energy, it's just a nice ( or often hurried ) meal if people prefer.
    Meal frequency is a personal choice.
    I ate breakfast ( and did not like it ) for 65 years, because supposedly it was " the most important meal of the day ". When I joined MFP two years ago, I learned otherwise and stopped eating breakfast and now eat two large meals a day. As a volume eater that makes me happy and sticking to the program has become easier for me.
    I have lost 65 plus pounds by doing 18:6 and cutting out breakfast. Of course anyone's mileage varies, but breakfast is not a " must " for weight loss and /or healthy living.

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

IA - that's why I posted that video above.

OP, I have to agree as well. If this is truly how you eat and the amounts listed are absolutely accurate (peanut butter can have a huge caloric swing being just a *little* off on your measurement), you should speak with your doctor for guidance. If you ate like this every day, with a typical calorie consumption of roughly +/- 1200 calories, you would not need to lose weight. I say this with all kindness and compassion that I can, but without some underlying medical condition, it would be virtually impossible to weigh almost 300 pounds while eating only 1200 calories per day. I suspect that you are either leaving something out (drinks or snacks that you think are too small to count maybe ????), grossly underestimating the portions of what you are eating or you have a medical condition and a medical condition is probably the least likely cause.
  • litnbug
    Options
    cwolfman13, why would I lie about this, lol, that's everything I've had for the day, and it is pretty much a normal day. Some days, I may have ice tea, hot tea, or an occasional soda, but as far as food goes, my husband says I could probably go 24 hours without eating and it wouldn't even phase me. I just don't have much of an appetite
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Nevermind. I found it. OP, do you usually skip breakfast?

Breakfast is a personal choice, nothing more. It does not " jump start " one's metabolism every morning, it does not provide extra energy, it's just a nice ( or often hurried ) meal if people prefer.
    Meal frequency is a personal choice.
    I ate breakfast ( and did not like it ) for 65 years, because supposedly it was " the most important meal of the day ". When I joined MFP two years ago, I learned otherwise and stopped eating breakfast and now eat two large meals a day. As a volume eater that makes me happy and sticking to the program has become easier for me.
    I have lost 65 plus pounds by doing 18:6 and cutting out breakfast. Of course anyone's mileage varies, but breakfast is not a " must " for weight loss and /or healthy living.

I think they might have asked that in case OP was forgetting to log her breakfast, or perhaps she eats a big breakfast on other days.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You really need to be honest with yourself about how much you eat. I would starve with the amount of food you have logged.
    A tablespoon is where you can run a knife blade over the top of the spoon. The tiny bit left is a real tablespoon. 1 fl oz of milk is just a table spoon worth also. It wouldn't even colour the coffee.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

IA - that's why I posted that video above.

OP, I have to agree as well. If this is truly how you eat and the amounts listed are absolutely accurate (peanut butter can have a huge caloric swing being just a *little* off on your measurement), you should speak with your doctor for guidance. If you ate like this every day, with a typical calorie consumption of roughly +/- 1200 calories, you would not need to lose weight. I say this with all kindness and compassion that I can, but without some underlying medical condition, it would be virtually impossible to weigh almost 300 pounds while eating only 1200 calories per day. I suspect that you are either leaving something out (drinks or snacks that you think are too small to count maybe ????), grossly underestimating the portions of what you are eating or you have a medical condition and a medical condition is probably the least likely cause.

well said!
    litnbug wrote: »
    cwolfman13, why would I lie about this, lol, that's everything I've had for the day, and it is pretty much a normal day. Some days, I may have ice tea, hot tea, or an occasional soda, but as far as food goes, my husband says I could probably go 24 hours without eating and it wouldn't even phase me. I just don't have much of an appetite

Not intentionally lying, but it doesn't add up. I would log for a couple of weeks and see what your average comes out to be...maybe you are over eating on the weekends??
  • litnbug
    Options
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

this is not a bunch of hocus pocus...this is math and people don't generally vary too much from the median numbers.

if this is really normal you need to see a Dr. pronto because you have something really jacked...people don't get to be 300 Lbs eating 1200 calories...'cuz math and science say so.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

There are a lot of little pitfalls that people commonly fall into that lead to inaccuracate diaries. No one here is suggesting that you're lying. What they're trying to do is point out some of those issues (food scale vs. cups, inaccurate database entries, forgotten cooking oils, etc) to make sure that your diary is as accurate as it can be.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    2Poufs, I thought about that, just going about normal eating for a week or so, just to have a basis to go on

Do it for 2 weeks and see what you see. If what you've logged today is accurate, I'd bet good money you have an underlying condition that might require some medical supervision or intervention.

I understand eating 1200 a day and not losing. It's possible that's true, but inaccurate logging or eating more than you think you're eating are both far more likely. If 1200 a day is accurate, then it's medical. It's pretty much that simple.

Also, spend some time doing some reading on balancing your nutrients. Play around in the food database and buy yourself a digital scale for weighing food. Little things can make a big difference.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If that really is your average day, you'll lose weight at a rapid pace.

Unfortunately, this type of day is not what made you the weight you're at now. If you're looking for an excuse as to why you "eat so little" but are still 300lbs, you're not going to get one here. No one (insert medical disclaimer here) is a special butterfly, you ate more than that, period.
  • litnbug
    Options
    Okay, I'm done with this. I'm not an idiot, I know what I ate. I know how to use a measuring spoon. I don't like being accused of fibbing, when I'm telling the truth. Thanks for those who were being constructive, but to the accusatory ones, have a good day
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    since I know im logging my food, my diet is in no way representative of what it was before. Since I 'care' now..I am very mindful of what I put in my mouth. So if you looked at my diary you would see what a typical day looks like NOW, but it is not what represented me getting up to 200 lbs. I don't have a huge appetite, and am rarely hungry..mostly because I eat before I get hungry (pre MFP) BUT I cannot be trusted around buffets, pizza..and those types of things. I don't sit around the house and eat all day..I never did. but now that I am counting calories..I know I have had some meals that were easily 5000 calories. I went to bed with 200 calories left last night, and I actually looked for things to eat..but I just did not want anything..so I went to bed. This behavior though is 'new' and not typical for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.

I wasn't trying to be mean or say that your lying. It is just that when people start to log they do it without scales and with the best intentions they massively under estimate what they are eating.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Ppl don't think you're lying. What they think is u don't understand the system. U said "nothing to weigh." That's not possible unless you ate nothing. Anything you eat can, should, be weighed. Logging "one apple" or "1 bowl" of whatever or "one measuring cup" or "1 tablespoon" of whatever will get you a completely wrong calorie count. You can eat twice or more the calories that you think you are by logging in this manner. Look at the evidence: If you truly ate the amount of calories you think you are eating, you would be tiny. Therefore, to correct the problem, you will need to weigh everything you eat in order to get the true calorie count. Bread slices. globs of peanut butter. bananas. every last bit of it. Yeah I know it sounds blah, but it works, and that's the bottom line.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Realize that it's less "you're lying" and more "are you really sure your logging is accurate?" A lot of people say, "I'm eating 1200 and not losing," when many of them aren't logging accurately or weighing food. That's why I suggest logging without changing anything for a little bit.

Also, "medical issue" can be something as hard to detect as Insulin Resistance or something almost impossible to detect like carb problems. Some folks just can't have a lot of carbs without gaining weight, even if they have low calories. That's why there are a lot of different diet approaches and you have to work through the things you can fix (logging, weighing food, lab results from the doctor), then sort of fumble about until you find what works for you.

Try not to take it personally. Let's just see what's going on and that takes time and diligence.
This discussion has been closed.