Now That I Can Eat...Always Hungry

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yep. I'm smaller now with a lower TDEE, but I can still eat as much as I could when weighing 30-40 pounds more. MFP gives me 1840 to maintain and since I don't do cardio-that's about it. I'm sure some weeks I might average 1900. I think it's a struggle for me because I really bank calories for the weekend. There's no way I could maintain my weight eating at maintenance every day and then trying to wing the weekends.

I'm jealous of your calorie allotment! LOL!
    How tall are you @arditarose ?

I'm 5'4" and about 133. A bit taller and heavier than you. I'm jealous of the ladies maintaining on 2000+

ETA quite a bit heavier than you.

This/you gives me so much hope! I'm the same/height and weight and have debating how much more I should try to lose before I start eating at maintenance. I'll probably just get down to 130 and see how I feel there. You look fantastic!

Thank you. I gave up at 133. I've wanted to get to 128 or even 130 but just can't seem to do it like other girls my height. I might give it another go someday. But yeah, 1800 is doable. You probably do more cardio than me too so it might be more for you.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm smaller now with a lower TDEE, but I can still eat as much as I could when weighing 30-40 pounds more. MFP gives me 1840 to maintain and since I don't do cardio-that's about it. I'm sure some weeks I might average 1900. I think it's a struggle for me because I really bank calories for the weekend. There's no way I could maintain my weight eating at maintenance every day and then trying to wing the weekends.

I'm 5'4" and about 133. A bit taller and heavier than you. I'm jealous of the ladies maintaining on 2000+

This/you gives me so much hope! I'm the same/height and weight and have debating how much more I should try to lose before I start eating at maintenance. I'll probably just get down to 130 and see how I feel there. You look fantastic!

Thank you. I gave up at 133. I've wanted to get to 128 or even 130 but just can't seem to do it like other girls my height. I might give it another go someday. But yeah, 1800 is doable. You probably do more cardio than me too so it might be more for you.

I might be having the same problem. I don't know if it feels doable (read: not miserable) to keep lowering my deficit until I get to my goal of basically anywhere between 125-130.

I do plenty of cardio, but I've been taking note of the merits of focusing more on lifting, so I plan to make the switch pretty soon.
  • arditarose
    Options

I might be having the same problem. I don't know if it feels doable (read: not miserable) to keep lowering my deficit until I get to my goal of basically anywhere between 125-130.

I do plenty of cardio, but I've been taking note of the merits of focusing more on lifting, so I plan to make the switch pretty soon.

Oh, by the way...I UPPED my calories through weight loss, is that what you mean? I don't want to derail this thread but I do want to point out that this is a better way to get into maintenance.

And yes, the merits of lifting in a deficit and lifting in general are huge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'd maintain on 1800 if I didn't do cardio (37, 5'5", 133 pounds). It's your own decision not to do it... don't complain that you can't eat much then...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Move more so you can eat more...it really is that simple. Plus exercise is soo good for you, you'll have so much more energy, feel fitter, younger....I can't tell you how great I feel since I starting working out 6 days a week a few years back :smile:

(ps I'm 5ft 2, 46 yrs, maintaining my goal range 130-134lbs for over a year /average gross cals 2100)
    I aim for between 18-21k steps every day just to give you an idea of how active I am.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think that may be why people who are successful at weight maintenance tend to be those who exercise. Exercise can help bring the desire to eat under control, but it also increases the number of calories a person needs, allowing them to eat more.
  • arditarose
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'd maintain on 1800 if I didn't do cardio (37, 5'5", 133 pounds). It's your own decision not to do it... don't complain that you can't eat much then...

Well excuse me.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I do exercise but since I don't trust exercise calories, it doesn't really matter when it comes to calorie intake adjustments...
    plus since I'm small I really don't burn that many calories anyway.

I guess perhaps, I should start trying to eat back a portion... little by little until I find what works.

In any event... it's okay...I'm sure I'll get used to the situation just like I eventually did when I went into deficit mode after years of not caring what I ate!
    I was just curious if anyone else felt that way too...
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think that may be why people who are successful at weight maintenance tend to be those who exercise. Exercise can help bring the desire to eat under control, but it also increases the number of calories a person needs, allowing them to eat more.
    Yep, this^^.
    OP, if you start to do more exercise, you will be able to eat more than 1370 cals.
    How do you cope? Lol
    I was struggling when i was on 1600 cals!
    Why not find out what your TDEE is (maintenance cals including exercise) here: http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I was fine on 1200...some days I didn't even eat that much because I simply wasn't hungry... just ate at least the 1,000 required by MFP not to get yelled at.
    It's amazing what you get used to (which is why I said I'm sure I'll get used to it)!
    I eventually made it up somewhere along the way...
    BTW - for my height, age, and weight, many online calorie calculators suggested I eat less than 1200 when I was losing weight...
    They even have sites that give you meal plans for 1,000 calorie days.
    So it's not unheard of
    only MFP said I had to eat at least 1200.
    So again it is possible although not ideal...

Besides I I don't even mind not eating that much... Food isn't that important to me.
    I just want to go back to way it used to be when I would not be hungry.

And again I DO EXERCISE... what you're not understanding is it doesn't make a difference as far as calorie intake goes because I don't trust exercise calories so I will not eat them back...

Since I'm little I don't burn that many calories when I exercise... so for me... if I exercise and burn let's say 150 calories... cutting that in half I only get 75 calories extra... seriously not that much of a difference.

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't read through the responses, so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this.

Have you recently changed your carbohydrate to protein ratio? If you are eating more carbohydrate and less protein than you were typically eating before, then you may be experiencing some changes in your blood sugar balance and it might cause you to feel more hungry.

• DoreenaV1975
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Sorry, I haven't read through the responses, so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this.

Have you recently changed your carbohydrate to protein ratio? If you are eating more carbohydrate and less protein than you were typically eating before, then you may be experiencing some changes in your blood sugar balance and it might cause you to feel more hungry.

No I actually upped my protein intake.
    But thanks so much for your input! :)

I think it all comes down to my body needs to get used to my new "normal".
    It's just funny how I was surviving on 1200 (sometimes less) a day and wasn't hungry but now that I am eating more I am hungry...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was fine on 1200...some days I didn't even eat that much because I simply wasn't hungry... just ate at least the 1,000 required by MFP not to get yelled at.
    It's amazing what you get used to (which is why I said I'm sure I'll get used to it)!
    BTW - for my height, age, and weight, many online calorie calculators suggested I eat less than 1200 when I was losing weight...
    So it's not unheard of

Besides I I don't even mind not eating that much... Food isn't that important to me.

And again I DO EXERCISE... what you're not understanding is it doesn't make a difference as far as calorie intake goes because I don't trust exercise calories so I will not eat them back...

Since I'm little I don't burn that many calories when I exercise... so for me... if I exercise and burn let's say 150 calories... cutting that in half I only get 75 calories extra... seriously not that much of a difference.

Well you are burning the exercise calories. So if you're not eating them back, and you're accurate in your logging, you're not eating at maintenance, and you will keep losing weight.

So just give it some time and see how your body adjusts... if you keep losing, increase by 100 calories.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen, I got to my goal weight and then I moved to higher altitude, got so hungry that it only took 6 months to regain everything I worked so hard to lose. now I am back to square one. I wish so much that I started logging again sooner. so now I am back to walking in the evenings, not so much to burn calories, but to keep from snacking. also, I ate whatever I wanted, and it took awhile before I started gaining, so I thought I was good to go based on my activities, don't fall for that :)
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    OP, have you considered intermittent fasting? This works for some, but not all. I find that when I limit my day's eating to an 8-10 hour window, I am less hungry overall. That's because my meals during my eating window are bigger and more satisfying (still eating a whole day's calories - just in less time). Basically, I stop eating after dinner then don't eat again until around lunchtime the next day. With lots of water and a cup or two of coffee in the morning I'm generally not even hungry until lunchtime arrives. I guess I don't do this every day, but probably 4-5 days a week. There are lots of intermittent fasting posts on the forums and lots of info on the internet if you are interested in trying it out.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Basically what my title says....
    I'm at maintenance, new to it...just started a few days ago, and now that I can eat more I'm always hungry!
    The sad thing is my maintenance calories aren't much more than my deficit calories since I'm only 5'1" 107ish pounds.
    (deficit = 1200 maintenance= 1370 per MFP)

It's tough to be a short woman. As others have said, try to increase the protein in your diet and maybe the fat. They tend to be more satisfying than carbs, especially sugars. Exercise is a healthy habit, but I would not rely on it for weight maintenance: watch what you eat.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    So it's not unheard of

Well you are burning the exercise calories. So if you're not eating them back, and you're accurate in your logging, you're not eating at maintenance, and you will keep losing weight.

So just give it some time and see how your body adjusts... if you keep losing, increase by 100 calories.

Yeah I get that... like I said I just worry about the overestimation.
    Right now I'm taking a break from exercise... as in doing not nearly as much as I used to..
    so I am maintaining in the 107lbs range.
    If I keep losing weight, I will do as you advise.
    Just like losing weight was... maintenance will be a learning process.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Have you considered using TDEE as a calorie goal?
    It already includes general exercise calories and spreads them over the week.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    OP, have you considered intermittent fasting? This works for some, but not all. I find that when I limit my day's eating to an 8-10 hour window, I am less hungry overall. That's because my meals during my eating window are bigger and more satisfying (still eating a whole day's calories - just in less time). Basically, I stop eating after dinner then don't eat again until around lunchtime the next day. With lots of water and a cup or two of coffee in the morning I'm generally not even hungry until lunchtime arrives. I guess I don't do this every day, but probably 4-5 days a week. There are lots of intermittent fasting posts on the forums and lots of info on the internet if you are interested in trying it out.

I (generally) eat/intake calories 6 times a day: Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner, Evening Snack
    I say generally because sometimes I'm too busy and in some cases because I forget to eat (because I'm honestly not hungry). I don't mind so much if I miss because that just gives me more calories to look forward to on the weekend if I need them. I try to stick to my calorie goals per day. but as long as the mostly even out for the week I'm good!
    So in a sense I am doing intermittent fasting... just not on a consistent basis.
    But in the past, even when I missed a meal, I wouldn't be hungry from it...

I'm just trying to get used to this feeling of hunger w/ MORE calories.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Have you considered using TDEE as a calorie goal?
    It already includes general exercise calories and spreads them over the week.

I have but since my exercise isn't always consistent I'm afraid it will not work.
    Don't you have to input: I work out (#)times a week for (#) times of minutes?
    If so, what happens when I don't get my "proposed" exercise in? Do I just eat at deficit?