Dealing with sabatozors

Options

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    You say nooo so many times that eventually they get tired of asking

True that!,nobody ever even tries anymore. What little feelings I have might even hurt a little.
  • lauralash1024
    lauralash1024 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to flat out deliberately bake goodies for my brother and dad any time she got a whisper that my mum and I were trying to lose weight. I just had to decide what I wanted more.

I hear ya! I swear that's what she does. My daughters and I are convinced. Haha
  • lauralash1024
    Options
    ^ she has her own apartment, kitchen etc... Believe me it's done purposely.

So don't eat it.

Easy for me, not for my husband or kids.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to flat out deliberately bake goodies for my brother and dad any time she got a whisper that my mum and I were trying to lose weight. I just had to decide what I wanted more.

It helped to remember that she was doing it because she wanted to see us fail (seriously, she was a horrid old woman) and that would help a lot when I'd reach for whatever it was she made.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

So don't eat it.

If they want to eat it, why stop them? Your husband is a grown man and can chose what he wants to eat himself. As for the kids, if you make certain foods out as being "bad" you are setting them up for food issues down the road. Plus, if you tell them that something is bad, they tend to want it more.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you married to Ray Romano? I guess, this is what her love looks like, and you're stuck with it :/ Kidding, but I think this is beyond the food, honestly.

What else is she doing during the day? Does she have friends, other hobbies than cooking, is she mobile? I basically think you should get her busy doing something else. If she's on her own other than spending time with you guys, hook her up with some other people her age in the neighbourhood (or maybe with a senior's centre, or a community centre, they often have activities for seniors [and people of all ages]).

How often is she bringing stuff up (daily, every dinner, just sweets)? (How intrusive is it, is what I'm trying to get at)
  • tomatoey
    Options

It helped to remember that she was doing it because she wanted to see us fail (seriously, she was a horrid old woman) and that would help a lot when I'd reach for whatever it was she made.

Jeezus
  • tomatoey
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So don't eat it.

If they want to eat it, why stop them? Your husband is a grown man and can chose what he wants to eat himself. As for the kids, if you make certain foods out as being "bad" you are setting them up for food issues down the road. Plus, if you tell them that something is bad, they tend to want it more.

She's the mom, she's allowed to determine how she'd like her kids to eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Jeezus

No, seriously haahaa. She was like something out of a sitcom. She would call on weigh-in day, and I'd answer the phone and she wouldn't even say hello, she'd just demand "how much?" and if I hadn't lost weight she'd make snarty remarks and hang up. It never bothered me, it makes for great stories, but yeah. She was hilariously horrid.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I wish people would cook for me every now and again.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options

Jeezus

No, seriously haahaa. She was like something out of a sitcom. She would call on weigh-in day, and I'd answer the phone and she wouldn't even say hello, she'd just demand "how much?" and if I hadn't lost weight she'd make snarty remarks and hang up. It never bothered me, it makes for great stories, but yeah. She was hilariously horrid.

whaaaat!!! Lol WOW

also, weigh-in day???

Sorry :/ All signs point to you having turned out all right, though :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ummm I would kinda call my husband a saboteur. He has gotten a lot better lately.

He would do things like sprinkle sugar over my fruit salad that was in the fridge, or add more butter to my food than his. He would also make me delicious treats in the evening and look so hurt and distraught when I said NO. He's the type of person who shows his love through food. And it didn't help that he didn't want me losing any more weight...

Like I said he doesn't really do it anymore, as he probably got sick of me yelling NO more frequently.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Ummm I would kinda call my husband a saboteur. He has gotten a lot better lately.

He would do things like sprinkle sugar over my fruit salad that was in the fridge, or add more butter to my food than his. He would also make me delicious treats in the evening and look so hurt and distraught when I said NO. He's the type of person who shows his love through food. And it didn't help that he didn't want me losing any more weight...

Like I said he doesn't really do it anymore, as he probably got sick of me yelling NO more frequently.

Well, I'm glad he stopped :/ Good for you for sticking up for yourself.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Food and the act of cooking is very much tied up in love, gratitude and compassion. You've given this woman a home maybe this is just how she repays you.

• ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like you need to have a talk with your husband. it is his mother and he should not be leaving you to have these discussions with her...
  • lauralash1024
    Options
    >:)

So don't eat it.

She's the mom, she's allowed to determine how she'd like her kids to eat.

• lauralash1024
    Options
    My husband has cholesterol that is very high, trying to get him to lose 40 lbs which was Doctors orders, she knows this, and as far as my kids, my daughters 18 & 16 are old enough to know what the right foods to choose. My 7 yr old on the other hand is being inidated with sugary treats. Yes several discussions have been made. Yes it is like bein married to Ray Romano sometimes!!! Hahaha. Yes there are deeper issues here, but this isn't a family counciling session lol. Thanks for all the input! Enjoy your day everyone :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mother in law moved in with us and continuously brings in junk food and cooks high fat meals. I have continuously told her that we try to live healthy but she could continues to ignore my wishes. I keep plugging along, make my own meals, but I will say thr... Sorry guess I'm just venting.

If she's living with you, then she is sharing in the food expenses. She has every right to bring in the kind of food she likes and to cook meals her way.

That said, you have every right to not eat what she brings in and to ask her not to give you kids certain foods. Since it's your hubby's mom, he's the one who needs to talk to her if she's feeding your children foods you don't want them to eat. As for the rest, I'd say to just give her a shelf for her food and let the kids know to leave it alone.

As for someone else sabotaging you.....nobody can do that unless you give them permission to. You are 100% control of what you eat.

Good luck. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

So don't eat it.

I also agree with this as to the husband. He's a big boy, he also gets to choose what he wants to eat.

You also do what to be careful that you're not unconsciously teaching the kids to demonize food.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Do they make you cook your food in a ridiculously small kitchen like this? Because that would be a sabotage by a truly devious saboteur.

i2p98cttx7gs.jpg

I actually had something very similar to this when I was a child! Lol I had forgotten all about it until I saw this pic! It was a lit