CALORIE QUALITY

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    sarahbe89 wrote: »
    Isn't the ultimate goal to be HEALTHY though? Or am I the only one who thinks like that? I'm all for having the occasional treat but I'm not going to fill up my daily calories with junk. But that's just me.
    Where do you get the loony idea that it's "just you"?

Nobody here has ever said to just eat junk. They said work it into your calories, eat it in moderation. Many people misinterpret that as them saying hey! Let's live of burgers and pizza!

(I totally live of burgers and pizza but they are my own homemade healthy ones, so please reserve judgement) :tongue:
    "Misinterpret" or "purposefully distort"?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Isn't the ultimate goal to be HEALTHY though? Or am I the only one who thinks like that? I'm all for having the occasional treat but I'm not going to fill up my daily calories with junk. But that's just me.

I think it's really bizarre to assume everyone has the same ultimate goal. Humans are a pretty diverse lot.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's the other way around. If you are eating only junk, 1200 calories will not be much. Anyone claiming to eat only 1200 calories of only junk and not losing weight, is lying (I mean... "not in accordance with what is correct").

Depends on your definition of junk food, but some would say what I ate when I lost most of my weight was all junk. I was at uni and lived exclusively on microwave meals, pub food and take outs. I counted as accurately as I could (like, I weighed my take away foods, but had to go for a generic 'egg fried rice' option because obviously don't know the exact recipe the take away used) and my rate of loss at 1200 a day coincides with what most calculators recon my TDEE is.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.
    Guy B can only get his calories from candy, ice cream and fast food.

After eight weeks, who do you think is going to look and perform better?

Why does it always have to be just one or the other?....I believe in a happy medium and have had much success with it. I am about to compete in a bodybuilding show (masters figure division), so I feel that I may be able to back up what I am saying.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Nobody here has ever said to just eat junk. They said work it into your calories, eat it in moderation. Many people misinterpret that as them saying hey! Let's live of burgers and pizza!

(I totally live of burgers and pizza but they are my own homemade healthy ones, so please reserve judgement) :tongue:
    "Misinterpret" or "purposefully distort"?

I'd like to think of it as a lack of reading comprehension. Teeheehee
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.

What if Guy A binges because of the ridiculous restriction he's placed on himself? Apart from that, if Guy B gets enough protein from the fast food and ice cream... they'd look and perform indistinguishably if they both stuck to their respective diets.

Also, false dichotomy is false.
  • sarahbe89
    sarahbe89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From all the

from all the responses to the original post.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Guy B because he will have lost weight.

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating some of the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight, stay healthy *and* keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    From all the

We all pursue our own version of what we decide "healthy" is and/or what's sustainable for our lifestyle.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

Guy B because he will have lost weight.

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight and keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)

There's that "moderation" word again - you see? I wasn't delusional when I said nobody here advocates eating JUST "junk food".
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why there isn't more emphasis on the QUALITY of the calories people are eating. If you are eating 1,200 calories of JUNK like pizza ice cream and all kinds of processed foods it isn't going to give you the results of eating 1,200 calories of lean protein fruits and veggies and healthy fats. Just kind of agrivates me when I see people complain about not getting the results they want even when they are staying with in their calorie budget but than their food diary is filled with crap food. Thoughts? Do you think quality is just as important if not more so than quantity?

Someone living off pure junk food and not losing weight is more likely a function of them not logging correctly. On a base level, calories are calories. But for your health, there should be more nutritional choices. I mean, if someone looked at my diary, there's a lot of foods that count as 'junk' food. I did make some changes, but I don't cut out stuff I like, just cut down. Thing is, since junk food is usually calorie dense foods with low or no nutritional value, it's a lot less than it's equivalent in veggies or lean meat, so if someone wants to eat more and feel full, they'll need to swap things out. But calorie-wise, it's all the same. Health-wise, it's not, and I don't think anyone would disagree that 120 calories of peas is a lot healthier for you than 120 calories of candy.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Tbh, I eat healthy with a mix of treats in and I still binge sometimes. But that has more to do with me than my eating habits. I've got some mental issues. :neutral:
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    Options

What if Guy A binges because of the ridiculous restriction he's placed on himself?

why would GUY A feel the urge to binge ? I lost 170 lbs mostly eating high quality nutrients foods and never binged

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    From all the

"For most people in the real world, 80-90% from whole-type foods, the rest from treat-types of food."
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

What if Guy A binges because of the ridiculous restriction he's placed on himself?

why would GUY A feel the urge to binge ? I lost 170 lbs mostly eating high quality nutrients foods and never binged

You just said "mostly"...so even YOU don't fall into either category A or B and practiced moderation yourself.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Because some people would feel the urge to binge if they never ate any treats. Not everyone of course, but that comment was to point out that a lot of people wouldn't be able to stick to that diet, and therefore most people practice moderation instead of perfect clean eating 100% of the time.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

Doesn't matter. It was stupid of me to respond as if the question were an honest one. The real answer is that your hypothetical is unrealistic and no one here recommends anyone gets all his calories from candy, ice cream and fast food.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Were the macros the same? If so, I'd think they'd be about equal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-7406-1370355325-1.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're only eating lean meats, fruit and vegetables, and sweet potatoes and rice, your fat may be pretty low. Many people -- myself included -- struggle with cravings and binges if our fat consumption is low.
This discussion has been closed.