Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I agree the bolded can happen, but for the people this diet benefits most (those with IR) eating sugars and carbs in moderation can lead to binges too. Restricting foods and eating foods in moderation can both lead to binges.

It is not the foods that lead to binges, it is self control (or lack thereof) that lead to binges. Everyone has foods that they have problems with and it varies from person to person. I cannot have nuts around the house. I buy large bags but keep them in the car and bring in one serving at a time when I want to eat some so I am less tempted to binge. I also have a problem with peanut butter.

We all know our trigger foods and avoidance or portion control is the only way to deal with them. Saying that carbs cause binges is wrong. We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming other things.

Congrats on the superior self control.

Please understand that simple decision-making is one small element in people's nutritional battle for better weight and health.

You telling someone with a low blood sugar or some other issues they need to explore that it is all 'self control' undermines development of a multitude of strategies making weight loss possible without challenging levels of self control.

What you're projecting is not at all what is being said. Food does not reach out to us, we reach out to the food, therefore we need to change our relationship with food to have some self control. For me, establishing a good relationship with food took a lot of self-educating, exploration of my own issues, and simply learning how to say no to something until I could learn how to eat in moderation. I also still have foods that I feel triggered by.

For example, M & M's at the office are one thing that I have trouble moderating, so I don't eat them there, because I have a tendency to binge when I'm under stress. However, I can have a bag of M & M's in my cabinet at home and portion them out just fine if I want some. In this respect, I know I need to work on my work stress issues rather than blaming the food. :)

I think @umayster's point was that for people with IR, it isn't about a relationship with food. There is a biological drive, based on hormone and blood glucose which will drive the cravings.

For many people with IR, those M&M's would lead to binges at work and at home, and not because of work stress or work fatigue.... I'm generalizing - this won't be true for all with IR.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I agree the bolded can happen, but for the people this diet benefits most (those with IR) eating sugars and carbs in moderation can lead to binges too. Restricting foods and eating foods in moderation can both lead to binges.

It is not the foods that lead to binges, it is self control (or lack thereof) that lead to binges. Everyone has foods that they have problems with and it varies from person to person. I cannot have nuts around the house. I buy large bags but keep them in the car and bring in one serving at a time when I want to eat some so I am less tempted to binge. I also have a problem with peanut butter.

We all know our trigger foods and avoidance or portion control is the only way to deal with them. Saying that carbs cause binges is wrong. We need to start taking responsibility for our own actions and stop blaming other things.

Please understand that simple decision-making is one small element in people's nutritional battle for better weight and health.

You telling someone with a low blood sugar or some other issues they need to explore that it is all 'self control' undermines development of a multitude of strategies making weight loss possible without challenging levels of self control.

What you're projecting is not at all what is being said. Food does not reach out to us, we reach out to the food, therefore we need to change our relationship with food to have some self control. For me, establishing a good relationship with food took a lot of self-educating, exploration of my own issues, and simply learning how to say no to something until I could learn how to eat in moderation. I also still have foods that I feel triggered by.

For example, M & M's at the office are one thing that I have trouble moderating, so I don't eat them there, because I have a tendency to binge when I'm under stress. However, I can have a bag of M & M's in my cabinet at home and portion them out just fine if I want some. In this respect, I know I need to work on my work stress issues rather than blaming the food. :)

I don't have a relationship with food and I think that's about the stupidest thing to come out of the dieting industry over the years. But do I go into every thread saying that? No. I don't. If people want to spend time and energy working on their relationship with food more power to them. But while you're working on your relationship issues can you stop projecting your beliefs on the people like me who have issues with the actual food?

That would be great. :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I think @umayster's point was that for people with IR, it isn't about a relationship with food. There is a biological drive, based on hormone and blood glucose which will drive the cravings.

For many people with IR, those M&M's would lead to binges at work and at home, and not because of work stress or work fatigue.... I'm generalizing - this won't be true for all with IR.

That might be her point, but she is wrong. IR, PCOS, T2Dm, etc. do not set up cravings. Even if they did, each person has a choice to give in or not. People need to take responsibility for their choices instead of blaming some unproven biological thing.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

@earlnabby I assume your statement what can lead to binges for you is true for you but it is false for me.

I can binge on carbs all day every day until I am so full my gut is in pain and still eat more. I can try to binge on fats and I can not because I get so full I would throw up if I tried to consume more.

Case in point is the difference between boiled custard and heavy whipping cream. I can and have drank two quarts of boiled custard in one evening. Just a pint of heavy whipping cream and I am stuffed and can not or will not drink more. I love the taste of both and the sugar is the only difference I can detect.

It could be bacon and cake and still the same story in my case.

Gale, what are the custard and cake recipes that are 100% carbs? Are they made with those gel packs cyclists use?
    loic901 wrote: »
    Carbs get you fat? Oh well i eat around 420-500 carbs per day and yet im still not fat and never been.. Carb is a must in your diet and you cant go without them when you train hard! Just stay active fix yourself a goal and you should be able to do anything!

I didnt read all the post above, im just posting my 2 cents :smiley:

The bolded isn't entirely true. Many athletes find they perform somewhat better when using carbs (Peter Atia MD, a triathalete, calls carbs a performance enhancing substance, and works out intensely on less than 50g of carbs per day) but eating a moderate to high carb diet is not actually needed to perform well at an elite level.

Your example of someone using >50 g carbs doesn't mean carbs are not necessary in a diet. I think you forgot a few words.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

That might be her point, but she is wrong. IR, PCOS, T2Dm, etc. do not set up cravings. Even if they did, each person has a choice to give in or not. People need to take responsibility for their choices instead of blaming some unproven biological thing.

I think some obese people are so ashamed of themselves for being/getting fat they're willing to take "the blame" as some sort of punishment instead of being able to look around them and see what's going on around them and inside of them could be influencing their behavior. There is value in looking at the bigger picture that has nothing to do with taking responsibility for your own health.

Also:

"Polyphagia is the medical term used to describe excessive hunger or increased appetite and is one of the 3 main signs of diabetes." http://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/polyphagia.html

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I can see you are generalizing, but it seems to me you are giving both the binges and the M&M power. At some point, with or without IR or any other medical issue, you have to learn how to say no when you are faced with a trigger situation, if you want to lose weight and/or manage your health. It's never 100% perfection, and a lot is by trial and error.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

QFT
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I beg to differ.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I think some obese people are so ashamed of themselves for being/getting fat they're willing to take "the blame" as some sort of punishment instead of being able to look around them and see what's going on around them and inside of them could be influencing their behavior. There is value in looking at the bigger picture that has nothing to do with taking responsibility for your own health.

Also:

"Polyphagia is the medical term used to describe excessive hunger or increased appetite and is one of the 3 main signs of diabetes." http://www.diabetes.co.uk/symptoms/polyphagia.html
    Looking at the bigger is taking responsibility for your own health. ;)

Polphagia is also a sign of other medical conditions, but that still does not make it an excuse for blaming food for binges. If you are excessively hungry for no reason, you need to go to a doctor.

• nvmomketo
    edited August 2015
    Options

I can see you are generalizing, but it seems to me you are giving both the binges and the M&M power. At some point, with or without IR or any other medical issue, you have to learn how to say no when you are faced with a trigger situation, if you want to lose weight and/or manage your health. It's never 100% perfection, and a lot is by trial and error.

I find it now very easy to say no to M&M's and haven't binged since I changed my diet. Within a few days of going low carb, I could easily pass up my usual trigger foods. There was no longer any physical drive behind it. Now saying no to M&M's (peanut M&M's are a trigger of mine too) is easy. It's just a choice. Sort of like how I can say no to and extra cut of steak or more tea. I have control when I am not eating sugars regularly or daily.... And I know I did not break a habit within a few days- there was more to it, physically.

You may not have experienced what I described, but it was very real for me. Eating LCHF has given me back control over food that I could never have with moderation.... Of course, this is not true for everyone, but I do hear similar stories cropping up over and over from other people who also had issue with carbs (meaning foods with added sugars and processed grains or starches).
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Are you referring to hunger? We are talking about hunger.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I find it now very easy to say no to M&M's and haven't binged since I changed my diet. Within a few days of going low carb, I could easily pass up my usual trigger foods. There was no longer any physical drive behind it. Now saying no to M&M's (peanut M&M's are a trigger of mine too) is easy. It's just a choice. Sort of like how I can say no to and extra cut of steak or more tea. I have control when I am not eating sugars regularly or daily.... And I know I did not break a habit within a few days- there was more to it, physically.

You may not have experienced what I described, but it was very real for me. Eating LCHF has given me back control over food that I could never have with moderation.... Of course, this is not true for everyone, but I do hear similar stories cropping up over and over from other people who also had issue with carbs (meaning foods with added sugars and processed grains or starches).

If that is what works for you, that's wonderful, but the only power any food has under any circumstance is the only power we give it. For me, I ate what I would consider tough food restriction for years- low carb/sugar, low fat, but once I started in on carb/sugar foods I had convinced myself I would not stop. This led to countless binge sessions to where I gained 30 pounds back over a five year period.

Once I changed my relationship with food, allowed all foods I love back in my diet, started using a food scale and learning about nutrition, I was able to gain control over bingeing. It's not perfect, but I would say at least 90% of the time I don't binge, which helps me to maintain my weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Even you're hungry, you have the choice to say no to it. Sometimes saying no is appropriate (you just ate your dinner) and sometimes saying yes is appropriate (when you haven't eaten in awhile). If you have excessive hunger, you need to speak with your doctor. Still, you have to take responsibility for your choices.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Even you're hungry, you have the choice to say no to it. Sometimes saying no is appropriate (you just ate your dinner) and sometimes saying yes is appropriate (when you haven't eaten in awhile). If you have excessive hunger, you need to speak with your doctor. Still, you have to take responsibility for your choices.

You also have a choice as to what you eat to assuage that hunger. You can choose things that fill you up with lower calories (big bowl of veggies for example) or you can choose foods that are higher calories and you need more to fill you up. It is still a choice even if the hunger is real.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Your ducks are only in a row if your calories align to your goals. It doesn't really matter which source of energy you burn because your body will cycle between fat burning and fat storage.

I can see you're married to the calorie hypothesis. I'm more of a nutrient partitioning guy. Post hoc energy balances will balance.

If I want to lose fat I need to oxidise it, and to do that I need to get it out of storage efficiently. These things happen when I get my blood glucose down, which is all I can measure regularly. It isn't easy, welcome to prediabetes.

If I ran down the street and used 50 grams of glucose to do so I would not be confident of any overall effect on my fat balance.

Since when did CICO become a hypothosis? There is a basic energy balance equation that our bodies follow to determine weight loss, maintenance or gain. Being low carb doesnt defy that (regardless of what some people qould love to believe). So you can suggest you are burning fat more efficiently (since i burn carbs) or whatever but it doesnt make it true.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    CICO may not address personal variable the way some may like yet it is a starting point that is not hard to understand and to roughly compute.

While going very low carb dropped my pain/inflammation levels like a rock I have no way to know it was due to cutting out most all sugar and all grains or going very high fat. It could even be a combo the two as far as I know.

What I do know there is no end to the amount of carbs I can eat because one calls for two and two calls for four cascading effect. This could be like drinking milk and eating cookies. However if I try to drink 36% butter fat heavy whipping cream I have a fast croaking response as in I can not force myself to drink more.

For example I can use the same amount of half and half coffee creamer as I use heavy whipping cream and drink four cups of coffee. If using heavy whipping cream I will croak if I try to go past the second cup.

My body will permit me to overeat carbs for some reason but will not let me do so on high fat low carb foods for some reason. This effect is in fact in my case a natural calorie intake restriction number one. Number two I stay full longer when eating high fat foods again making LCHF calorie intake restriction.

Maybe my calories from carbs detector is defective.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't you think the gut pain after overeating that you referred to might be your body saying "don't eat more"? Seems like you just decided not to listen.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Here's what I don't get:

If I knew that I always felt very hungry after eating a certain food or type of food, and that it was difficult for me to resist overeating after consuming it, how does abstinence translate to an abdication of personal responsibility? It would be one thing if I repeatedly binged and claimed there was nothing I could do to stop it, but if I CAN stop it by avoiding that food, isn't it kind of irrational to reject that strategy and instead try to white knuckle through a crisis brought on by my own eating choices?