Using Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) to Track Diet Progress

Options
Hi Fitters,

There are lots of ways to track progress, but after a week using the program I settled on a method that works well for me and perhaps for others so I thought to share:

Background:
BMR is the amount of calories a body needs in 24 hours to sleep and hang out in front of the TV. The BMR varies by sex, age, height and weight. Here is a nice calculator.

I set my daily calorie goal to my BMR. Then through the day the Fitness program takes into account food and exercise and shows the NET calories as 'calories remaining' in big blue numbers on the home page, or as 'net calories' on the summary page.

Presto! Instant insight into how the diet is going:
  • 0 Calories remaining at the end of the day: nothing gained, nothing lost
  • Calories remaining: Weight is going down
  • Calories in excess: Weight is going up

A pound is 4000 Calories; a Kg is 9000. The week summary is really helpful here. E.g., if I am 6000 Calories negative for the week I have burned 1.5 pounds of fat assuming my muscle is stable.

Note that I have not tried to account for the non-exercise activity. For me it is pretty low -- around 100 to 150 Calories a day. I prefer to ignore that amount and collect it on the scale ;)

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​Your estimate of a 4000 Calorie per week deficit to lose one pound of weight is not the generally accepted value of 3500 Calories per week (or 500 Calories per day), which is what MFP uses. Also, the calculator you linked in your post uses an estimate of a 3500 Calorie per week deficit to lose one pound of weight in its calculations.

Reference:
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1599931-nutrition-101-calories
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    <<shrug>>
    Use whatever number you please; after a while the scale will tell the tale.

Fwiw, packaged fat in the human body *is* 9 Cal/gram.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Oops, I ended the post too soon.
    There are 2.2 US pounds in one Kg, so

9000/2.2 = 4090 Cal/pound. I round off for easy arithmetic in my head.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'd be really interested in seeing how closely your change in weight/week tracks with your calculated deficit. Would you be willing to share your results so far?
  • ericGold15
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I'd be really interested in seeing how closely your change in weight/week tracks with your calculated deficit. Would you be willing to share your results so far?
    Hi Lemmie,

There is nothing special in my log but I can certainly open it to anybody interested.

The weight correlation for now is poor. In part this is due to starting the diet a few weeks before starting to use MFT; in part because I guessed at my starting weight; in part because I spend time between two homes and use two scales; and finally, (I suspect) because my body muscle and body water are not stable.

I actually just bought a new scale that measures fat percentage. With all the caveats that go along with that measurement not being accurate, etc, I'm hoping that the trend will be precise enough to show a tight correlation with calorie deficit.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you misunderstand the relationship between BMR and weight loss. Simply stated, there is no relationship. You lose or gain weight based on whether you are under or over your TDEE. BMR is a factor in calculating TDEE, but otherwise it is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    ​Your estimate of a 4000 Calorie per week deficit to lose one pound of weight is not the generally accepted value of 3500 Calories per week]
    Here is a bit of the science behind the numbers: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2376744/

As I said, pick a number ;)
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Cybertone,

I gave some more thought to your comment and realize that we are mostly having a semantic misunderstanding, although my wording has not been accurate.

My interest is in losing stored fat -- triglycerides. It takes 9000 Cal energy deficit per Kg
    Adipose tissue, on the other hand, has upwards of 10% water bound to the triglycerides. So 9000 Cal deficit will lead to ~ 1.1 Kg weight loss of adipose tissue presuming no muscle mass was lost.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »

Dude, you are making this about 19 steps to complicated for no particular reason at all
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Dude, you are making this about 19 steps to complicated for no particular reason at all

Yup.

But he seems the scientific type, so whatever works.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    You lose or gain weight based on whether you are under or over your TDEE.
    I'll guess that TDEE is shorthand for 'total daily energy expenditure' ?

If so, do you agree that a good approximation of that number is equal to
    Exercise + BMR ?
    And that your NET energy lost or gain for the day is Exercise + BMR - food ?

We report food and exercise; the missing variable is BMR.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I guess I'm missing the point here. Why guesstimate a weight loss when you can just get on a scale?

Also TDEE=BMR+activity level+exercise. You missed activity level since BMR is the amount you would need to maintain weight supine in bed all day.

Edited for content.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Exercise + BMR ?

Waaaa????
  • ericGold15
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I guess I'm missing the point here. Why guesstimate a weight loss when you can just get on a scale?

Also TDEE=BMR+activity level+exercise-food.
    To estimate *fat* loss

Understood about TDEE. In the OP I mentioned that I personally ignore activity level since it is pretty sedentary. YMMV
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

Also TDEE=BMR+activity level+exercise-food.
    To estimate *fat* loss

Understood about TDEE. In the OP I mentioned that I personally ignore activity level since it is pretty sedentary. YMMV

Still doesn't change the base definition of TDEE, though. You can use whatever you'd like, but can't claim the definition changes because you don't count it that way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you misunderstand the relationship between BMR and weight loss. Simply stated, there is no relationship. You lose or gain weight based on whether you are under or over your TDEE. BMR is a factor in calculating TDEE, but otherwise it is irrelevant to weight loss.

This ^^
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Exercise + BMR ?

You're giving advice and you're "guessing" what TDEE means? ...wow...just...wow!

BMR+activity level= NEAT
    NEAT+purposeful exercise =TDEE
    TDEE-calories =weight loss
    Weight loss=water weight loss+fat loss+LBM loss

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand where you are going with this as I did it myself. However, I used the BMR at my goal weight. That way I didnt have to keep changing it. Once i hit my goal weight, I just upped my calories to maintain weight as my activity is all over the place.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    OP, I understand where you are going with this as I did it myself. However, I used the BMR at my goal weight.
    I set my BMR as my calorie goal. Is that what you meant ?

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand where you are going with this as I did it myself. However, I used the BMR at my goal weight.
    I set my BMR as my calorie goal. Is that what you meant ?

As an example. I started at 180 and wanted to get to 165. So I put 165 in your calculator and that was what I used as my calorie goal.