Is it just my age? Too many calories? What gives?

Options

Replies

• shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I lost 8.5 lbs in a week I was following Weight Watchers. Healthy eating, I promise. It was just water, I am sure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You haven't 'lost weight successfully many times' if you're here with 20 pounds to lose... again.

What you need to ask yourself is why you gained weight back every time, and figure out what to do in order to avoid gaining the weight back again.

From your post, it would seem it's because you're doing fad diets instead of finding something that you can stick to. Why in the world would you do something like calorie cycling if you have an history of not being able to stick to fad diets in the first place?

Find something sustainable. For most people, calorie cycling isn't it. Eating less of what you normally eat is probably your best bet. Count calories, eat less than you burn, lose weight. Then eat as much as you burn to maintain... not more.

And no, it's not your age. And losing 2 pounds a week is completely unrealistic, try half a pound a week. Plus weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you won't lose, some days you'll gain some water weight.
  • shellfab
    Options
    Why would you consider calorie cycling a fad diet? It is a calorie deficit with healthy habits.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    shellfab wrote: »
    Why would you consider calorie cycling a fad diet? It is a calorie deficit with healthy habits.

But it is not working for you. Select .5 pound a week for weight loss, use a food scale, select the right foods from the data base and lift weights add a little cardio. Lots of successful people using this method.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I think it has to do with your reason for doing it. Are you expecting it to have any special effect on your body? Then you're chasing the Woo. Is this because some days you want less and some days you want more? Then go for it! So long as you consume less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight

And if your ticker is right that you've kept off the majority of your weight lost and now trying to shift these 20 again, great job! A lot of us will indeed regain some weight but the key is to not stay down and keep getting up. It does help to find a more sustainable approach, keeping in mind that what's realistic and sustainable can sometimes change for an individual
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I have never used the chat feature myself but have read various threads. I am a seasoned "dieter" and have lost weight successfully many times. Weight watchers has always worked for me and I was a lifetime member at one point (I guess I still am..) Anyway, I have done low carb and been successful as well. Last summer I lost about 9 lbs. in a relatively short amount of time doing low carb. Over the past year I have gained again, mainly due to stress and eating garbage.

So, here is my main question. 26 days ago, I started using MFP and an doing an exercise regime. I have never being one to workout in the past. Most of my weightloss was diet alone. I have been doing strength and cardio, working out in some way 4-6 days a week. I have also been calorie cycling. According to the website I found, my cycle is 1486,1486,1208,1783,1486,1337,1635. According to MFP to lose 2 lbs a week I should be eating 1200. I am 5'3", 35 years old, and 150 lbs. I would like to lose 15-20 lbs. So far, during my new routine, I have only lost 6 lbs. I can usually lose this in a week. Is it just my age? Or too many calories? Or the fact that I am eating real food (including carbs?) I am more noticibly toned, so that is nice, but the scale is not moving. In fact, I am up .5 lbs since Monday and yesterday was a low calorie day. :(

You lost 6 pounds in 26 days?

Congratulations! You're doing everything just right.

First, you're eating at a calorie deficit, which is essential to lose weight.

Secondly, you're doing things that work for you and make your life easier, but which are not essential to weight loss: calorie cycling and exercising.

Have some patience and get used to the fact that weight loss is not linear, weight fluctuates, and you are trying to make lifestyle changes not win a race. The journey is what weight loss is all about, because once you reach goal you still will not be able to eat the way you did before if you want to maintain.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

But it is not working for you. Select .5 pound a week for weight loss, use a food scale, select the right foods from the data base and lift weights add a little cardio. Lots of successful people using this method.

Why do you say it's not working? She's losing weight just fine. It's not necessary but it's not hurting anything either.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    fpjjey3530kj.gif

Oh, for God's sake. 35? It's not your age.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm going to be a bit of a >:)'s advocate here and suggest that the carb calorie cycling is not a fad but simply a way that some people like to do their individual diet, same as some people like to do low carb or other types of diet. It's just a way people vary their eating.

I just don't get in her post where she advocates carb cycling as magic. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bit of a >:)'s advocate here and suggest that the carb cycling is not a fad but simply a way that some people like to do their individual diet, same as some people like to do low carb or other types of diet. It's just a way people vary their eating.

I just don't get in her post where she advocates carb cycling as magic. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

She's not carb cycling, she's calorie cycling, varying her calories each day. But you're right, nothing faddish about it, just a way some people do their deficit. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    fpjjey3530kj.gif

Oh, for God's sake. 35? It's not your age.

Thanks for my morning chuckle.....
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bit of a >:)'s advocate here and suggest that the carb cycling is not a fad but simply a way that some people like to do their individual diet, same as some people like to do low carb or other types of diet. It's just a way people vary their eating.

She's not carb cycling, she's calorie cycling, varying her calories each day. But you're right, nothing faddish about it, just a way some people do their deficit. :smile:

Thank you! That's what I meant. Going back to change. :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Why do you say it's not working? She's losing weight just fine. It's not necessary but it's not hurting anything either.

Because she losing the same weight over and over. I meant her approach to weight loss is not working :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Ok maybe fad wasn't the right word for it... but coming from someone who's apparently tried a bunch of fad diets, I just see it as another novelty that would magically work, and something that isn't necessarily easy to sustain long term, when in the end it's just CICO anyway...

Basically, just another unnecessary tool to lose weight that she's likely to give up on again. I'm not saying it doesn't work for some people, because that's the way their eating pattern naturally goes back to, but when you have a history of not sticking to a type of diet, WHY try something else that requires an extra effort to sustain than just eating less?

I mean, sure, I calorie cycle too, but there's a difference between eating 1600 a day and 2600 the next, and eating 500 and 2000. But to be fair, I guess I don't know what the OP does.

Cliff notes - there's nothing magical about calorie cycling, it's just CICO, and if you eat too much on your high calorie days, you still won't lose weight, and when you have a history of gaining weight back, you should try to focus on SUSTAINABLE eating patterns.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm speaking from experience too... the only thing that actually worked is when I decided to do a permanent change, not something that I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with once I lost the weight.
  • shellfab
    Options
    Exactly. Same calorie number for the week, just varying how much per day to shake up the metabolism.

As far as the age thing, I was assuming at 35, with the inevitable loss of muscle mass, that could be affecting the metabolism. Luckily, I am sticking to a strength training regimen and have toned a lot. Hopefully this will boost my metabolism soon. Down another .6 as of today.

To answer the question of my initial weight, that was right after having baby, and yes, I have kept most of it off.
  • shellfab
    Options
    I also feel cycling is far more sustainable than 1200 a day which is what MFP was suggesting!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No no no. Shaking up the metabolism isn't a thing. Eat differing amounts per day if you want to, but know that if you go chasing these random targets, you're probably making this that much more complicated than it has to be. You'll lose weight just fine eating the same amounts daily. And typically you'll wind up with different amounts, anyway, since some days you might feel like eating a little less and other days perhaps a bit more
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lost 6 pounds in 26 days. Sounds like everything is working as it should be.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight - congratulations, you're achieving your goals. You don't need to be worrying or changing anything.

P.S I am bigger than you and shorter and wouldn't want to be losing 6lbs a week!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Same calorie number for the week, just varying how much per day to shake up the metabolism.

Not necessary ...doesn't work like that

As far as the age thing, I was assuming at 35, with the inevitable loss of muscle mass, that could be affecting the metabolism.

Not inevitable: move more / lift heavy. The slow down on average is 100 calories per decade, easily offset

Luckily, I am sticking to a strength training regimen and have toned a lot. Hopefully this will boost my metabolism soon. Down another .6 as of today.

To answer the question of my initial weight, that was right after having baby, and yes, I have kept most of it off.