Is it just my age? Too many calories? What gives?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Menopause has not stopped me either. I have been trying my whole life to lose twenty pounds and until I discovered MFP I never had success. Thanks to all the awesome people of MFP :) I did this at 55. Yay me!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling seems to just naturally be the way that I eat. Some days I am hungry...some days I am not. I don't worry about the low days because I know that maybe the next day I might eat more and it will balance out. Because of this I have started tracking my calories on a weekly basis.

I think...at least IMO...this is life...we just don't eat the exact same calorie level each day. We need to be able to balance out our diets from day to day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Calorie cycling seems to just naturally be the way that I eat. Some days I am hungry...some days I am not. I don't worry about the low days because I know that maybe the next day I might eat more and it will balance out. Because of this I have started tracking my calories on a weekly basis.

I think...at least IMO...this is life...we just don't eat the exact same calorie level each day. We need to be able to balance out our diets from day to day.

This is a good way to put it. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've always found these comments about menopause stalling weight loss interesting, because it's still about calories in/calories out. I lost and gained weight while pre-menopausal, and I lost 44 pounds while in menopause and had not problem because I ate less than I burned.

^This. I'm 47 and hypothyroid (double whammy), yet I lost the weight by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Yup, this. I'm also hypothyroid, 59, and in menopause since chemotherapy (!) brought it on at age 45. Oh, and losing weight - around a pound a week now, which is my target.

And this:
    Calorie cycling seems to just naturally be the way that I eat. Some days I am hungry...some days I am not.

I'm pretty much following the MFP religion: Get a net-calorie target (1200, for me), eat back a good-ish chunk of exercise calories. My daily gross consumption varies across a typical week from 1200-ish to 1800-ish, occasionally more . . . with numbers in between in just about the same frequency distribution as OP's formal cycle, ironically enough.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Agreed with that. But a lot of people do it the extreme way, with 500 calorie days, and that's what I find completely unnecessary if it makes them miserable those days. I actually assumed that it's what 'calorie cycling' meant, that it included very low calorie days... hence my comments.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Another name for it would be the Zigzag Diet. Here is the link for the calculator.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

My calories would be...

Maintain- Fat Loss- Extreme Fat Loss

Monday 1955 1564 1497
    Tuesday 1564 1497 1497
    Wednesday 2346 1877 1796
    Thursday 1955 1564 1497
    Friday 1760 1497 1497
    Saturday 2151 1721 1646
    Sunday 1955 1564 1497
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Agreed with that. But a lot of people do it the extreme way, with 500 calorie days, and that's what I find completely unnecessary if it makes them miserable those days. I actually assumed that it's what 'calorie cycling' meant, that it included very low calorie days... hence my comments.

I think what you are referring to is the 5:2 diet. 2 days of 500 and 5 days at maintenace. I do that on occasion (not often) but never at 500 calories. I eat around 800 calories those two days.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Heck 6lbs in 26 days is awesome considering you really don't have much to lose!
    It's all about the overall calories and being in deficit - thats why you lost and will continue to lose... although 1lb a week would be a healthier amount to aim for so you don't lose muscle as well as fat...

Losing fast isn't ideal and hasn't worked for you in the long run...
    I lost all my weight slowly and have been maintaining that loss easily for 2 years now.
    I also had 20lbs to lose and it took me a year to do it, I never felt deprived or that I was on some diet.

It's all about making changes for life :smile:
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    shellfab wrote: »
    Why would you consider calorie cycling a fad diet? It is a calorie deficit with healthy habits.

But it is not working for you. Select .5 pound a week for weight loss, use a food scale, select the right foods from the data base and lift weights add a little cardio. Lots of successful people using this method.

Why do you say it's not working? She's losing weight just fine. It's not necessary but it's not hurting anything either.

it is not working when one yo-yo s up and down. Working means hitting the goal and maintaining it long term.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I don't calorie cycle but I use weekly reports and consider my calorie goal to be a weekly one ...the reports in the app help

I will bank calories and eat them another day (never the reverse)

This is exactly what I do too.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Why would you consider calorie cycling a fad diet? It is a calorie deficit with healthy habits.

But it is not working for you. Select .5 pound a week for weight loss, use a food scale, select the right foods from the data base and lift weights add a little cardio. Lots of successful people using this method.

Why do you say it's not working? She's losing weight just fine. It's not necessary but it's not hurting anything either.

it is not working when one yo-yo s up and down. Working means hitting the goal and maintaining it long term.

She didn't yo-yo from counting calories. She said she did WW and low carb in the past. This time she's counting calories, just varying the amount each day, and she's lost 6 pounds. I still don't understand why anyone is saying it's not working. Of course it is.
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate all the responses. I do have to say I feel a lot of people here are quick to judge or don't read all the information given. I am a bit disappointed about that. I assumed most would be encouraging. Thanks for those that were.

I used a cycle from the free dieting website, none of which include a fasting day or 500 calorie day. I do think I have had success whenever I have dieted, most often being very healthy. When I gained weight it is because I fell off the wagon of being healthy.

The age thing is an honest question. Women lose muscle mass starting in their 30s, unless they are strength training to keep it. I have never been one to "work out" as exercise was incorporated in my every day. I taught dance for years and danced 5 days a week- 28 classes a week. Since I don't teach anymore, I have lost muscle and also assumed I have age working against me here. I am strength training now and have added muscle.

I also have never started a diet and exercise regimen together so I wondered if that could be slowing the loss on the scale. I have always had success with changing my diet alone. (Again not adding exercise)

I am not an idiot. I am not a newbie to dieting. I have fallen off the wagon a few times. I am experiencing new, slower loss and had questions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate all the responses. I do have to say I feel a lot of people here are quick to judge or don't read all the information given. I am a bit disappointed about that. I assumed most would be encouraging. Thanks for those that were.

I used a cycle from the free dieting website, none of which include a fasting day or 500 calorie day. I do think I have had success whenever I have dieted, most often being very healthy. When I gained weight it is because I fell off the wagon of being healthy.

The age thing is an honest question. Women lose muscle mass starting in their 30s, unless they are strength training to keep it. I have never been one to "work out" as exercise was incorporated in my every day. I taught dance for years and danced 5 days a week- 28 classes a week. Since I don't teach anymore, I have lost muscle and also assumed I have age working against me here. I am strength training now and have added muscle.

I also have never started a diet and exercise regimen together so I wondered if that could be slowing the loss on the scale. I have always had success with changing my diet alone. (Again not adding exercise)

I am not an idiot. I am not a newbie to dieting. I have fallen off the wagon a few times. I am experiencing new, slower loss and had questions.

You're not getting what I was saying.

Your diets failed because you didn't learn how to sustain your diet change. But instead of trying to do something that is actually sustainable for once, you try and follow some random diet you've found on a diet website... again.

Why calorie cycling? I mean, I do that too, to an extent, but I follow MY appetite, not what some random site is telling me I should do.

What's wrong with just counting calories, and aim to be under your weekly calories? At least that way you have more control and you're more likely to stick to it... whether you actually eat more or less some days or stick to a constant calorie goal. But it's YOUR choice. If I had to eat less one day because some random website tells me to, I'd just never stick to it. What if I'm particularly hungry that day? What if I'm not hungry the day I'm supposed to eat more? It makes no sense to me.

Bottom line, you're once again making losing weight more complicated than it has to be. You want it to be sustainable, so find something sustainable and stop following random diets that you find online.

And no, I don't consider a diet successful if you lost weight but regained it all later.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling can be a good way to allow yourself high vs low days. Which can help you fit in 'treats' and not feel deprived, or handle it if you have some days that are more intense activity than others. Overall its the calorie deficit that counts. Many people do 'calorie cycling' to some extent and don't have a name for it. They'll just consider that they're 'saving' calories some days to use on others.

As to the OP and original questions: I would say you're not losing slowly. You might be losing more slowly than you have in the past, but you're also more likely now to have sustainable results. Sure its an adjustment if you were expecting to see 5-6 more more pounds a week. But in the days of WW/low carb you likely lost alot of water weight early on were following things that were not realistic to do indefinitely.

You're working out now for the first time. In addition to having many benefits for your body, this can lead to temporary water weight. As can hormones/TOM/sodium/etc. There will be weeks that your scale doesn't reflect much of a loss, may even show a gain, but try to trust the science and realize that water weight is temporary. If you are consistently eating at a deficit, then over time you will lose weight. And ultimately being aware of how many calories your body needs (to lose and later maintain) is a great life lesson.
  • shellfab
    Options

"Your diets failed because you didn't learn how to sustain your diet change. But instead of trying to do something that is actually sustainable for once, you try and follow some random diet you've found on a diet website... again."

Actually, I did learn to maintain and sustain my diet changes. I just didn't do it. Life got in the way.

I maintained for years until I got pregnant. Cycling is not a random diet I found online. It was something introduced to me years ago at Weight Watchers (except we cycled points)

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I know myself and you do not. What is good for you won't work for me. I enjoy he variety of eating more one day and less the next. I also switch it up bases on my needs for that day.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually lower or raise my calorie intake, because of special events, increase or decrease in activity or hunger levels. I would not consider this calorie cycling. Calorie cycling would seem to imply a calorie level adjustment where the only goal is to maximize weight loss. I have not seen science nor had a desire to adjust my calorie intake simply because of a day or date on a calendar. If it works for you great.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

It is working for her though, she's had pretty impressive results.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

"Your diets failed because you didn't learn how to sustain your diet change. But instead of trying to do something that is actually sustainable for once, you try and follow some random diet you've found on a diet website... again."

Actually, I did learn to maintain and sustain my diet changes. I just didn't do it. Life got in the way.

I maintained for years until I got pregnant. Cycling is not a random diet I found online. It was something introduced to me years ago at Weight Watchers (except we cycled points)

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I know myself and you do not. What is good for you won't work for me. I enjoy he variety of eating more one day and less the next. I also switch it up bases on my needs for that day.

Life gets in the way means unsustainable plan which means you didn't learn how to maintain.
  • shellfab
    Options
    Seriously people! Knowing and doing are two different things. I could have easily chosen to sustain my eating habits. I didn't do it. I didn't want to. There, I said it. I didn't want to. Now I do.

Just because someone gains some back does not make the program a failure. The person may have failed at the program.

The plan that worked extremely well for me was WW and it is doctor recommended. It is not an unsustainable plan. They have maintenance worked right in the program....

Trying calorie counting now as I just don't feel like paying or going to meetings. Again, I don't want to. My choice.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Seriously people! Knowing and doing are two different things. I could have easily chosen to sustain my eating habits. I didn't do it. I didn't want to. There, I said it. I didn't want to. Now I do.

Just because someone gains some back does not make the program a failure. The person may have failed at the program.

The plan that worked extremely well for me was WW and it is doctor recommended. It is not an unsustainable plan. They have maintenance worked right in the program....

Trying calorie counting now as I just don't feel like paying or going to meetings. Again, I don't want to. My choice.

WW makes its money on repeat business.