Is it just my age? Too many calories? What gives?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    shellfab wrote: »
    I also feel cycling is far more sustainable than 1200 a day which is what MFP was suggesting!

I have no opinion about the goodness (or not) of cycling as a method of weight loss . . . but want to comment that MFP is suggesting 1200 *net*, i.e., after eating back your exercise calories.

You describe adopting a cycle that has a couple days at 1600-1700-something, several around 1300-1400, and one around 1200, in a particular pattern. You also say you work out 4-6 days/week.

Here's the thing: MFP also puts me at 1200 net (I'm at 150, heading for 130(ish) after starting at 183, aiming at 1lb loss/week for now). I exercise, usually, 6 days a week, 350-500 or so calories per day, and eat back most of that.

So, I eat around 1400 calories most days, around 1200 on my one weekly actual full rest day, and occasionally 1600-1800 or more if I do a couple exercise-intensive things on one day, or have budgeted calories for some kind of biggie day.

Not really seeing a big difference, in terms of sustainability, vs. your proposed cycles.

Not having any trouble losing - I've lost 33lbs since mid-April (started around 2lbs/week, actually trying to lose a little slower now). And I'm way more than 35. Like 24 years more than 35.
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! So interesting. I have used and read a ton about calorie cycling/zig zagging. It has always worked for me to break plateaus. Interesting that people are so against it. It has worked for me and I feel there is science behind it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow! So interesting. I have used and read a ton about calorie cycling/zig zagging. It has always worked for me to break plateaus. Interesting that people are so against it. It has worked for me and I feel there is science behind it.

The calories I eat weekly is what I keep my eye on. Without you realizing it, you do it too:)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Same calorie number for the week, just varying how much per day to shake up the metabolism.

As far as the age thing, I was assuming at 35, with the inevitable loss of muscle mass, that could be affecting the metabolism. Luckily, I am sticking to a strength training regimen and have toned a lot. Hopefully this will boost my metabolism soon. Down another .6 as of today.

To answer the question of my initial weight, that was right after having baby, and yes, I have kept most of it off.

Oh. Your metabolism doesn't need any shaking up. It doesn't need any boosting either.

I'm 53 and I've been maintaining a 44 pound loss for over a year and a half.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I also feel cycling is far more sustainable than 1200 a day which is what MFP was suggesting!

You do have to do what works for you, and 1200 is low calories. Sometimes I eat more on the days I weight lift and less on the other days, but the week's end calorie deficit/maintenance is what matters.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Worrying about being too old to lose weight (well) at 35?! That is a bit premature isn't it? I'll be 33 in November and this is the best I have ever done at weight loss, I've lost 81lbs 12oz in 32 weeks and 2 days. Stick that up your bum, evil old age :-)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Stating that it's not necessary (after you asked us what we thought about it multiple times, no less), is not the same as being against it. It's just like if we were to say that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. It would be strange to conclude that we're against exercise!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol 50 here and lost over 103 pounds in 9 months

Just weigh all your solid food on a food scale...dont use cups and spoons.
    That's how i lost all my weight and still losing it.

No stalls, no plateau's. Not much fluctuations
    But that is me
    Everybody is different...but age certainly dont stop you from losing weight
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

What science is there behind calorie cycling?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and losing weight just fine...you're making me feel like I'm ready for the nursing home......
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Stating that it's not necessary (after you asked us what we thought about it multiple times, no less), is not the same as being against it. It's just like if we were to say that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. It would be strange to conclude that we're against exercise!

My question was about the calorie cycle calories I am using. Not about calorie cycling itself. I guess I didn't make that clear.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

My question was about the calorie cycle calories I am using. Not about calorie cycling itself. I guess I didn't make that clear.

You've received great feedback on both

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Come check us out on Eat More 2 Weigh Less and stop the cycle of losing/gaining/losing/gaining. It sounds like a gimmick but it's really just about making sure your metabolism is as healthy as possible and losing weight slowly to keep as much muscle as possible.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    i-m-37-o.gif
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're about to see the violence inherent in the system.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You're about to see the violence inherent in the system.

:wink:
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. Please stop blaming what you can't control (your age.) You are in control of what you eat and what activities you do. If you are losing muscle mass it's because you don't use your muscles.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Skipping every other answer, so sorry for repeats if there are any.
    1) is it your age? Maybe. It depends how close to menopause you are. (sorry, guys reading this, for women hormones matter a lot to weight loss)

2) 6 lbs in 4 weeks is great. Keep up the good work.

3) if you are looking more toned already, be grateful for newbie gains and know that you are losing fat, which is more important than losing pounds.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Skipping every other answer, so sorry for repeats if there are any.
    1) is it your age? Maybe. It depends how close to menopause you are. (sorry, guys reading this, for women hormones matter a lot to weight loss)

2) 6 lbs in 4 weeks is great. Keep up the good work.

3) if you are looking more toned already, be grateful for newbie gains and know that you are losing fat, which is more important than losing pounds.

Good luck!

I've always found these comments about menopause stalling weight loss interesting, because it's still about calories in/calories out. I lost and gained weight while pre-menopausal, and I lost 44 pounds while in menopause and had not problem because I ate less than I burned.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I've always found these comments about menopause stalling weight loss interesting, because it's still about calories in/calories out. I lost and gained weight while pre-menopausal, and I lost 44 pounds while in menopause and had not problem because I ate less than I burned.

^This. I'm 47 and hypothyroid (double whammy), yet I lost the weight by eating fewer calories than I burn.

b6zfrkyervv5.jpg