Is it just my age? Too many calories? What gives?

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    shellfab wrote: »
    The age thing is an honest question. Women lose muscle mass starting in their 30s, unless they are strength training to keep it. I have never been one to "work out" as exercise was incorporated in my every day. I taught dance for years and danced 5 days a week- 28 classes a week. Since I don't teach anymore, I have lost muscle and also assumed I have age working against me here. I am strength training now and have added muscle.

You have at least 20 years before you can start using your age as an excuse for anything. The reduction in calorie requirements with age is really quite small.

You are on the right track with strength training--you only lose muscle if you stop using it. You certainly don't have to quit dancing either just because you no longer perform or teach--there are all kinds of dance fitness and social dancing options available these days. One of the reasons why I love Latin dance is because it is something that one can potentially do forever. I know several very active social dancers and teachers who are pushing 60, plus a few people who are much older who still dance. Flamenco dancers often perform well into their 80s.

Instead of giving up, keep exploring new things.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Seriously people! Knowing and doing are two different things. I could have easily chosen to sustain my eating habits. I didn't do it. I didn't want to. There, I said it. I didn't want to. Now I do.

Just because someone gains some back does not make the program a failure. The person may have failed at the program.

The plan that worked extremely well for me was WW and it is doctor recommended. It is not an unsustainable plan. They have maintenance worked right in the program....

Trying calorie counting now as I just don't feel like paying or going to meetings. Again, I don't want to. My choice.

WW makes its money on repeat business.

I guess WW is very disapointed in me then, because I've been a Lifetime member for 16 years and the only thing they got out of me in that time is about $28 due to missing a monthly weigh in once or twice. The leaders definetly don't like it that I'm 17 pounds below the goal that "they" set, lol.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seriously people! Knowing and doing are two different things. I could have easily chosen to sustain my eating habits. I didn't do it. I didn't want to. There, I said it. I didn't want to. Now I do.

Just because someone gains some back does not make the program a failure. The person may have failed at the program.

The plan that worked extremely well for me was WW and it is doctor recommended. It is not an unsustainable plan. They have maintenance worked right in the program....

Trying calorie counting now as I just don't feel like paying or going to meetings. Again, I don't want to. My choice.

Did you say in one of your posts that you are a Lifetime member? If so, you only have to pay to get weighed in once a month, because you are more than 2 pounds above your goal. It isn't a requirement to go to their meetings. Maybe logging your calories here on MFP and just going to WW once a month to weigh in will help you get back on track again.... That is what I do now and is what has kept me way below my goal weight. I feel like there is more support here on MFP for maintainence (lifetimers) than there is at WW. Perhaps that is because they don't make money on their LT that are at goal.
    I just want to say that no matter what method you choose to lose or maintain your weight, it has to be something that you can stick to and make it work for you. Best wishes in whatever method you choose. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP, you mentioned earlier about "eating garbage." It's really counter-productive to vilify food. Just sayin.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why would you consider calorie cycling a fad diet? It is a calorie deficit with healthy habits.

But it is not working for you. Select .5 pound a week for weight loss, use a food scale, select the right foods from the data base and lift weights add a little cardio. Lots of successful people using this method.

Why do you say it's not working? She's losing weight just fine. It's not necessary but it's not hurting anything either.

it is not working when one yo-yo s up and down. Working means hitting the goal and maintaining it long term.

But, the point is that it's working now, and it seems the OP is looking for ways to change her habits due to her yo-yo dieting past. I was there before I started using the MFP tools.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I can relate to this. About ten years ago, I lost a total of 80 pounds from my highest weight; a trainer had taught me about logging food, calorie counting, and was working with me on weight lifting. I felt great, did great, but then I made the choice not to use those tools anymore, even though I continued to exercise. Because of that, I put about 30 pounds back on in about five years.

I agree with the bold statement above because we will lose weight on any diet if we eat at a calorie deficit, and will gain weight on any diet if we eat more than we burn. It's simple science.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You have lost an average of 1.5 lbs per week. That's great weight loss! Keep it up!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    As we mature, weight loss slows down. You are also retaining water in your muscles because of the workouts. When you did not work out, you probably dropped water faster. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, just know that the process can be slow, but will work. :) You'll keep more muscle this way too, which makes you look much better than if you allow it to be burned away for energy.
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the serious and helpful responses. It is much appreciated.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

MFP is pretty much the same as WW anyway. Except it's free.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Age COULD have something to do with it, as I am in the same boat. I'm 41. You also must take into account muscle mass. If you aren't an exerciser chances are you are actually gaining muscle for the first time in your life, which will then in turn help speed your metabolism. You may see an increase in your appetite too but don't stop eating. The biggest mistake i ever made was to stop weight training and start starving myself. I gained weight after that because I lost muscle mass. Every body is different but what was ideal for me is to keep up the workouts FOR SURE and go by what your clothes feel like. If a size 6 makes you feel good, then get into it and stay there with a good maintenence and workout program. Don't stray from it unless you're cross-training (which is also imporatant) YO- Yo dieting is so hard on your body. Good luck. Thats just my 2 cents
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Age COULD have something to do with it, as I am in the same boat. I'm 41. You also must take into account muscle mass. If you aren't an exerciser chances are you are actually gaining muscle for the first time in your life, which will then in turn help speed your metabolism. You may see an increase in your appetite too but don't stop eating. The biggest mistake i ever made was to stop weight training and start starving myself. I gained weight after that because I lost muscle mass. Every body is different but what was ideal for me is to keep up the workouts FOR SURE and go by what your clothes feel like. If a size 6 makes you feel good, then get into it and stay there with a good maintenence and workout program. Don't stray from it unless you're cross-training (which is also imporatant) YO- Yo dieting is so hard on your body. Good luck. Thats just my 2 cents

Except for newbie gains, you don't gain muscle while in a deficit. Muscle gains are difficult to build, especially for women. :) However, weight lifting helps retain muscle mass while losing weight.

Also, if you mean you gained weight after "starving" yourself, that's not how it works. If you were truly starving yourself you would have lost weight. Also, you can have little muscle mass and lose weight, or even gain weight.

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are a "quick loss" dieter. The programs that you think worked obviously didn't or you wouldn't be here asking this question. Forget the scales and start living a healthy lifestyle - full of all the foods you love (minus the crap) in moderate amounts. Remember weight loss is about 80% food intake and 20% exercise. You can't out train a bad diet.

• FitPhillygirl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Remember weight loss is about 80% food intake and 20% exercise.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. While there are many benefits to exercising, it is not "necessary" for weight loss. Many people lose weight without exercising at all.
  • ImNancyLynn
    ImNancyLynn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shelfab... you are doing great to have lost 6lbs! I am not an expert but I did read something on MFP that is fantastic and I would love to share this with you! 102834569community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    This is super great information! Good luck on your weight loss and remember always do whats best FOR YOU!!!!