Going To The Gym - I Just Don't Feel Like It

Options
13»

Replies

• RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    For various reasons, I just don't feel like doing my weight training. I know I have to, especially since I have managed to gain a few pounds back over the last few months. It is just so hard to get myself to do it. I just don't enjoy it, plus I have to do it after work when all I want to do is go home.

Does anyone else have this problem?

But you would feel so much better if you did go!! And you would be getting in better shape too!! Its a win win! Grab an energy drink and go get it!!

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Over the decades jogging has been my main exercise. But, there have been times when I just really couldn't get back into it after a vacation or time off. I bought a rowing machine and used that for 2 years. Later I joined a gym for the weights and aerobics classes. One time I got a stair master and used it for a couple of years. But I always retuned to jogging and home hand weights.

Now I'm doing work out DVDs and am gradually finding that I'm missing jogging. So, I think it's natural to get bored with an exercise regimen. Sometimes it's just hard, really hard, to get the mojo back. That's when I switch things up to at least be doing some exercising. Some is better than none and I realize all my examples might aggravate your arthritis. There's always swimming, which I've also done when I injured myself, and hated every single lap. But did it anyway till I got healed.

Exercise is for life, not a few years. I'm 60 and am still in "the game". Hang in there. You'll figure it out.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm not one generally for the gym either. I prefer to take a dance class or a yoga class or even just to hike out doors through the mountains. I would say find something you like and do that, that way it won't feel like work
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Maybe you need to change or get someone to look at your program and assess what you are doing with results. Are you following a progressive lifting program? If you have been diligent and honestly dont feel like going then dont go, its not abouty being a winner or loser. You might just need a break to get your mojo back.

I do Stronglifts 5x5 plus other stuff for triceps, biceps, quads, glutes, shoulders, and abdomen.

I do the same thing 3 days a week at my gym. Sometimes it's mentally hard to get myself into going but once there I'm fine.

How long have you been doing Stroglifts?
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Over the decades jogging has been my main exercise. But, there have been times when I just really couldn't get back into it after a vacation or time off. I bought a rowing machine and used that for 2 years. Later I joined a gym for the weights and aerobics classes. One time I got a stair master and used it for a couple of years. But I always retuned to jogging and home hand weights.

Now I'm doing work out DVDs and am gradually finding that I'm missing jogging. So, I think it's natural to get bored with an exercise regimen. Sometimes it's just hard, really hard, to get the mojo back. That's when I switch things up to at least be doing some exercising. Some is better than none and I realize all my examples might aggravate your arthritis. There's always swimming, which I've also done when I injured myself, and hated every single lap. But did it anyway till I got healed.

Exercise is for life, not a few years. I'm 60 and am still in "the game". Hang in there. You'll figure it out.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Maybe you need to change or get someone to look at your program and assess what you are doing with results. Are you following a progressive lifting program? If you have been diligent and honestly dont feel like going then dont go, its not abouty being a winner or loser. You might just need a break to get your mojo back.

I do Stronglifts 5x5 plus other stuff for triceps, biceps, quads, glutes, shoulders, and abdomen.

I do the same thing 3 days a week at my gym. Sometimes it's mentally hard to get myself into going but once there I'm fine.

How long have you been doing Stroglifts?
    I forget exactly when I started doing them. I believe it was about six months ago, though. I think it's a great program and I've noticed that I have more definition now than I did when I was just doing basic free weights.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think most people get that dread. But many people find that when they DO get to the gym or class or whatever, they enjoy it, and also know the feeling that if they don't go, they regret not going.

I have a rarely-used gym membership and every month think about cancelling. At the moment I am challenging myself just to move more and enjoy doing it. So that could be going for a walk, dance classes (swing dance) riding a bike or swimming. Often my choice of activity is restricted by the day (for example there is no pool space on a thursday night).

And most days I am enthused by the idea of doing something, until about 5pm when the reality of actually having to do it hits in. Then I create excuses in my head. I can have entire conversations with myself on my hour drive home as to why I should or shouldn't, which gets more frantic the closer I am to home or the pool.

If you don't like lifting weights, then try something else - preferably resistance training-wise as that's something you've mentioned. Or try a new weight-training based routine. Or throw something else in there - so you could for example only do weight-training to make you better at another activity that you like better, such as rock climbing, roller derby or dancing!!

• arabianhorselover
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I think most people get that dread. But many people find that when they DO get to the gym or class or whatever, they enjoy it, and also know the feeling that if they don't go, they regret not going.

I have a rarely-used gym membership and every month think about cancelling. At the moment I am challenging myself just to move more and enjoy doing it. So that could be going for a walk, dance classes (swing dance) riding a bike or swimming. Often my choice of activity is restricted by the day (for example there is no pool space on a thursday night).

And most days I am enthused by the idea of doing something, until about 5pm when the reality of actually having to do it hits in. Then I create excuses in my head. I can have entire conversations with myself on my hour drive home as to why I should or shouldn't, which gets more frantic the closer I am to home or the pool.

If you don't like lifting weights, then try something else - preferably resistance training-wise as that's something you've mentioned. Or try a new weight-training based routine. Or throw something else in there - so you could for example only do weight-training to make you better at another activity that you like better, such as rock climbing, roller derby or dancing!!

On the weekends I walk for an hour each day. It does help me to do it first thing in the morning rather than having it hanging over my head all day that I still have to do it.