low carb diet has been debunked

Options

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here's a novel idea.....post the research? You know, so we all can see it. You are not well versed on how to present information are you?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Debunked in full? Eh, not really. And I'm not a low carber. It was a small study, though very well designed. The carbs weren't that low anyway.

You are a low carber, and in this study the "restricted carb" phase involved more carbs than you eat :-)

There was no statistically significant fat loss in women on either diet, as measured by DEXA.

Biggest problem with it is the limited 6 day period during which glycogen reserves continued to provide calories in the restricted carb phase, so it was not a steady state study. Shame they didn't do the run-in on the diet to be tested so the glycogen etc was stable.

5fmahamcssdb.jpg

No low carber I know would eat cookies and ice cream. My carb macro is lower than SAD, I'll give you that.

When I'm on maintenance, they'll likely go up.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    mommydie wrote: »
    OH and by the way I went to college for both biology and chemistry and know a little something about science and legit studies. "I read it on BBC...." smh.
    Are you saying you took a Bio and Chem class or that you have degrees in both fields?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    6 days, 19 people, fat loss and statistically significant should never be in the same sentence. Except mine.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No low carber I know would eat cookies and ice cream. My carb macro is lower than SAD, I'll give you that.

Lower than the ADA's minimum too.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    "Mathematical model simulations agreed with these data, but predicted that the body acts to minimize body fat differences with prolonged isocaloric diets varying in carbohydrate and fat." What does is this saying in non science nerd speak?
  • yarwell
    Options
    "Mathematical model simulations agreed with these data, but predicted that the body acts to minimize body fat differences with prolonged isocaloric diets varying in carbohydrate and fat." What does is this saying in non science nerd speak?

Might be that the body tries to retain fat stores for future need by preferentially using up carbohydrate ? The restricted carb phase was consuming glucose reserves.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

It's gonna come out at about the same amount of fat loss long term regardless of how much fat or carbs you eat. So no debunking going on except for debunking the people saying you can't lose fat if you don't lower carbs.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Gene_Lean wrote: »
    A new, thorough study shows a low fat diet is 80% more efficient. Finally, an end to the fad.

So, back to the 1970s. Got it.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

It's gonna come out at about the same amount of fat loss long term regardless of how much fat or carbs you eat. So no debunking going on except for debunking the people saying you can't lose fat if you don't lower carbs.

That is the way I read it too. So it really didn't debunk anything. After an extended period of time, macro nutrient restrictions don't change the loss as long as CI<CO.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Debunked in full? Eh, not really. And I'm not a low carber. It was a small study, though very well designed. The carbs weren't that low anyway.

You are a low carber, and in this study the "restricted carb" phase involved more carbs than you eat :-)

There was no statistically significant fat loss in women on either diet, as measured by DEXA.

Biggest problem with it is the limited 6 day period during which glycogen reserves continued to provide calories in the restricted carb phase, so it was not a steady state study. Shame they didn't do the run-in on the diet to be tested so the glycogen etc was stable.

5fmahamcssdb.jpg

Did we ever figure out why this graphic has a larger flame representing a smaller kcal burn?
  • yarwell
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Did we ever figure out why this graphic has a larger flame representing a smaller kcal burn?

the bigger ones are where it increased and the smaller where it decreased ? Medium stayed the same.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Gene_Lean wrote: »
    mommydie wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    IN.

This is going be good.

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif

No sources no nothing just blatant trolling but I know people are about to freak out over it! I hope this doesn't blow up my notifications into the 1000's like the last carb posting.

Trolling? Science don't be up tricking like that. I read it on BBC. Please, look for yourself before you promote this low carb, nonsense.

You post stuff with absolutely no evidence and then say you aren't trolling. It's up to the person making the claims to provide some evidence.

A CICO diet is more effective than any other diet. Ha.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    So....curious, if low carb dieting is debunked??? Does anyone who lost weight using low carb have to gain back all the weight they lost, as like a mandatory recall???

Oh no... whatever shall I do?? :D