low carb diet has been debunked

Options
A new, thorough study shows a low fat diet is 80% more efficient. Finally, an end to the fad.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    IN.

This is going be good.

tumblr_noys8mkgT11s0my1wo1_250.gif
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    End the fad with another played out fad...yes...just what desperate people need...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    IN.

This is going be good.

I don't think popcorn is considered low carb ;)

Also: IN
  • mommyvudu
    Options
    IN.

This is going be good.

No sources no nothing just blatant trolling but I know people are about to freak out over it! I hope this doesn't blow up my notifications into the 1000's like the last carb posting.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mommydie wrote: »
    IN.

This is going be good.

No sources no nothing just blatant trolling but I know people are about to freak out over it! I hope this doesn't blow up my notifications into the 1000's like the last carb posting.

Ohh it will, just wait until the low carbers see this. :D
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    wanna-be-startin-somethin-o.gif
  • mommyvudu
    Options
    IN.

This is going be good.

Ohh it will, just wait until the low carbers see this. :D

:D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Debunked in full? Eh, not really. And I'm not a low carber. It was a small study, though very well designed. The carbs weren't that low anyway.

It did show promise as a study design and as a model for further, longer-term and wider sample-size research.
  • Gene_Lean
    Gene_Lean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    IN.

This is going be good.

Trolling? Science don't be up tricking like that. I read it on BBC. Please, look for yourself before you promote this low carb, nonsense.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this is referencing the study just published that looked at lowish carbs (140g per day) vs low fat for five days.

Everyone seemed to decide it was interesting and needs to be followed by further research like stated in the conclusion. It doesn't debunk anything. It is food for thought, but not definitive.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
  • mommyvudu
    Options
    Gene_Lean wrote: »
    IN.

This is going be good.

Trolling? Science don't be up tricking like that. I read it on BBC. Please, look for yourself before you promote this low carb, nonsense.

Listen up, I don't even promote low carb diets or any other "diets" for that matter so as long as we're checking into things before speaking, maybe do your own research buddy.

And how the hell are people supposed to know where you read something if you don't tell them?

AND OMG the media posted something about dieting?! IT MUST BE TRUE. *eye roll* Whatever. I'm done.
  • mommyvudu
    Options
    OH and by the way I went to college for both biology and chemistry and know a little something about science and legit studies. "I read it on BBC...." smh.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah... you're late. We went through that yesterday. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10233201/nih-study-cutting-dietary-fat-more-effective-than-cutting-carbs-for-body-fat-loss/p1

The study had some problmes. It wasn't actually low carb, which is usually 100g of carbs or less per day, it was only on 19 healthy people (keeping in mind that an actual LCHF diet is most beneficial to those with health problems like IR, heart disease, PCOS, etc), it was only done for a very short time period a week or so, and they dropped the low fat group's diet down to 8% fat - that can't be healthy long term.

LCHF is mostly about improved health for those who need it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Debunked in full? Eh, not really. And I'm not a low carber. It was a small study, though very well designed. The carbs weren't that low anyway.

It did show promise as a study design and as a model for further, longer-term and wider sample-size research.

This.

Also, some people (like Taubes) promote low carb as some kind of way around calories in calories out (or simply claim that you gain weight regardless of calories because carbs), but many sensible low carbers simply say that for them it's an easier way to maintain a deficit. That second reasoning would not be affected by the study at all.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    wanna-be-startin-somethin-o.gif

2 threads for Michael today!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You are a low carber, and in this study the "restricted carb" phase involved more carbs than you eat :-)

There was no statistically significant fat loss in women on either diet, as measured by DEXA.

Biggest problem with it is the limited 6 day period during which glycogen reserves continued to provide calories in the restricted carb phase, so it was not a steady state study. Shame they didn't do the run-in on the diet to be tested so the glycogen etc was stable.

5fmahamcssdb.jpg

• Gene_Lean
    Gene_Lean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    End the fad with another played out fad...yes...just what desperate people need...

The research recommends the
    OH and by the way I went to college for both biology and chemistry and know a little something about science and legit studies. "I read it on BBC...." smh.

Then i see we have simething in common. They measured the calories, carbs, fats and kept them on that diet as they slowly reduced. They monitored breathing and the nitrogen in the subjects urine. Timed the amount and length of training. Seems legit. They wrapped it up nicely in their conclusions in the paper and their personal statements.

Wow, some people are hot about this.