Battle from hell

Options
For 2 weeks now I've been consuming 6 to 8k calories a day, have only gained 2 pounds. What else more can I do?

Replies

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You realize a pound a week is quite good, right?
  • devildogheath
    devildogheath Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If that's true then I'll keep it up. I have Graves' disease which makes my metabolism one of the highest on the planet. I almost feel helpless, because I simply cannot eat more than 8k in a day.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just my compliments that you can actually eat 8k calories in a day, I could never do that...
    So 2 pounds in two weeks is quite a lot. What is your gain goal, just general weight gain or a bulk?
    Most people here gain at half a pound a week.
  • devildogheath
    Options
    Goal is 35 to 40 pounds. I'm 6'2 and 140 pounds right now. I'm brand new in here so I'm not sure about terms of bulk or general, but I basically consume 7k on average a day and have a very active 50 plus hour a week job, and lift weights every other day. Any advice would be great because I'm not a know it all, just getting started.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to gain muscle or just gain weight/mass?

If you have everything set up correctly, weight lifting, diet, sleep, etc., you are only going to be able to gain around a half a pound a week of muscle so anything more than that is going to be fat gain.
  • devildogheath
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would say then a little bit of both, because I'm around 2 percent body fat so I think I need both. Thank you for that info, that is very good to know.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Just curious how you determined your BF%?

2% BF is not really possible. Body builders go on stage around 5% to 6% and can only maintain that level of leanness for a very short period of time.

For males, the essential amount of fat your body must carry to survive is around 5%. That is the fat around your organs, that you can't see, that is pretty much impossible to lose.
  • devildogheath
    Options
    My doc visit last week revealed those results. I'm battling Graves' disease, which gives me one of the highest metabolisms on the planet. This is the first time in my life I've been able to gain anything due to eating so much. At work, if I eat 1500 calorie meal and then go back to working, an hour tops I'm ready to eat that again. I believe once I get my disease back into remission, I will be able to really bulk up the way I'm battling to do.

• devildogheath
    Options
    I am truly the definition of skinny. 6'2 140 pounds. God help me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My doc visit last week revealed those results. I'm battling Graves' disease, which gives me one of the highest metabolisms on the planet. This is the first time in my life I've been able to gain anything due to eating so much. At work, if I eat 1500 calorie meal and then go back to working, an hour tops I'm ready to eat that again. I believe once I get my disease back into remission, I will be able to really bulk up the way I'm battling to do.

How did your doctor test your body fat?
  • devildogheath
    Options
    They looked at me and told me that, quite embarrassing to say the least. The research I've done says you have to atleast 3 percent to live.
  • devildogheath
    Options
    I'm gonna go get tested for it and get back with yall, it's got to be in the bottom tier of skinny people. I'm past feeling sorry for myself and am going to change that.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Whoever told you that apparently doesn't know much about body composition. In my experience most doctors know medicine but not much in the way of nutrition, exercise, and body comp.

• devildogheath
    Options
    100 percent agree.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    I'm also wondering do you log your food and keep track of what you eat?

It's not much different than losing weight and having to know how many calories you are consuming. When trying to gain weight a lot of people under estimate how many calories they are consuming, thinking they are eating more than they actually are. Do you exercise? Cardio or lifting?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    They looked at me and told me that, quite embarrassing to say the least. The research I've done says you have to atleast 3 percent to live.

If that was the case don't you think the doctor would have hospitalised you?
  • devildogheath
    Options
    Jeff yes just started using this app 2 days ago and have it set to public. I actually thought I was eating more than I was until I got this app. I was 2k a day off from what I thought 9k to 7k.
  • devildogheath
    Options

If that was the case don't you think the doctor would have hospitalised you?

Yeah, that doc was pretty rude and insulting.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    For 2 weeks now I've been consuming 6 to 8k calories a day, have only gained 2 pounds. What else more can I do?
    Nice progress.
    Keep doing exactly what you are doing.

It's not a race.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, Any chance you can try those Mass Gainer shakes (1000 calories or so in a drink) or food like peanut butter which will pack on the calories but shouldn't fill you up to much?