Tumor on thyroid was benign , now what?? Lost some inches, no weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Diggergirl1996
    Diggergirl1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would continue to have my thyroid levels checked. Hashimoto's does cause fluctuation in thyroid hormones at times. If you are at the beginning, your thyroid levels may be normal but if you have Hashimoto's, you will eventually become hypothyroid. So I would get them checked every 6 months. Absolutely have your thyroid antibodies tested - antithyroglobulin antibodies and thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPO); even if your thyroid levels are normal, the thyroid antibodies may be elevated if you have Hashimotos.

When I was about 18, I had a goiter, but my thyroid levels were normal. About 1 or 2 years later, they were very abnormal. I didn't know at that time that I needed any follow-up (they found the goiter on my physical for college) so it was really bad when finally diagnosed - fatigue - could hardly get out of bed, depression, slowed thinking, etc. Absolutely get follow up labs and get your thyroid antibodies checked. Your sister having it definitely increases your chance of having it as well.

Good luck.

I have another T-level test scheduled in the next 6 months. I will demand that I want these antibody tests as well. Yes, the fatigue is horrible. I can't concentrate when it comes on, and even people talking gets on my nerves.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I'm getting frustrated by this losing inches, losing no weight argument. I have been working out 5 times a week, and watching calories, but no budge in the weight. Last year, I swam 5 times a week and lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I have been swimming now since February, and have only lost 10. I'm at a loss . I am so discouraged.

I've also undergone a biopsy of my thyroid after finding a goiter that was 3.5 cm. The endocrinologist is convinced there's nothing wrong. I found out that the tumor was benign, so yay, but what in the world would have caused this? The cells found in the goiter match up to Hashimotos, but he says no. Even if you have normal TSH, T3, and T4, you can still have this disease. The doctors have no answers. Honestly, I was hoping to blame my thyroid for these issues.

When dieting and exercise don't work, what really is the best answer? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I suspect you will not like the answer, but diet and exercise always work. And you cannot gain weight because of your thyroid or other hormonal issues, with hormone levels being normal, sorry.
    It is very easy, however, to overeat, to have the wrong idea about the portions sizes you are eating or to overestimate what you burn by exercising. Have you tried counting calories? If yes, how long have you been doing this and how are you measuring, using a scale or not?

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. My sister had thyroid issues, normal TSH, T3, and T4 values, and she gained 60 lbs. She's a vegetarian and works out 2 hours a day. It was determined that her thyroid was to blame, and she's now being treated with hormone replacement. She was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Your thyroid controls metabolism, and several diseases associated with the thyroid, including Hashimotos, can affect metabolism and lead to obesity.

I have been counting calories. In fact, even before I was using myfitnesspal, I was doing wight watchers, and I was weighing food. I also exercise 5 days a week, quite vigorously actually.

To have a growth on your thyroid at this size is just not normal. Plus, I didn't have tests in the afternoons to measure my T level, which at this time, typically the T-levels can vary. These tests are some of most inaccurate tests for thyroid levels. These tests are half the reason so many people go undiagnosed.

You have separate issues here:
    1) You need a diagnosis. And if you cannot get answers, you need a new dr. You need someone to explain to you what is happening, what is the prognosis, what to expect. No doubt about any of this.
    2) No one gains weight without being hypothyroid (normal T4) because of hypothyroidism. Sorry, makes no sense. Either you are hypothyroid, so your hormone levels are not normal, or you are not. You can have Hashimoto's and still have a functional thyroid. In which case, you are not hypothyroid yet.
    3) If you do become hypothyroid, you lose energy, your life is affected in several ways, and because everything slows down, you do gain a bit of weight. Unless this goes on for a long time, and you end up unable ot get out of bed or to follow a conversation, you still do nto end up with a ton of extra weight. And if your hypothyroidism is that bad, then weight gain is honestly the least of your problems.

QFT.

You can have antibodies to a disease without the disease being in an active state, in other words. So you may have Hashi's antibodies, but if you're not hypothyroid, it's not a thyroid issue.

For example, I carry Crohn's antibodies, but I do not have Crohn's disease.

A lot of people who think they are counting calories are not doing so accurately.

Are you using a food scale? Are you weighing your food in grams? Are you verifying data base entries? How many of your exercise calories are you eating back?

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Hi, I would continue to have my thyroid levels checked. Hashimoto's does cause fluctuation in thyroid hormones at times. If you are at the beginning, your thyroid levels may be normal but if you have Hashimoto's, you will eventually become hypothyroid. So I would get them checked every 6 months. Absolutely have your thyroid antibodies tested - antithyroglobulin antibodies and thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPO); even if your thyroid levels are normal, the thyroid antibodies may be elevated if you have Hashimotos.

When I was about 18, I had a goiter, but my thyroid levels were normal. About 1 or 2 years later, they were very abnormal. I didn't know at that time that I needed any follow-up (they found the goiter on my physical for college) so it was really bad when finally diagnosed - fatigue - could hardly get out of bed, depression, slowed thinking, etc. Absolutely get follow up labs and get your thyroid antibodies checked. Your sister having it definitely increases your chance of having it as well.

Good luck.

I have another T-level test scheduled in the next 6 months. I will demand that I want these antibody tests as well. Yes, the fatigue is horrible. I can't concentrate when it comes on, and even people talking gets on my nerves.

Do you know what your level was?

• burgervnlady
    burgervnlady Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My story is similar. About two years ago i discovered a lump which looked like a egg. Went to gp who sent me to hospital. Turns out
    i had a benign tumour about 4cm. Had it and the right side of my thyroid removed. Op was pretty straightforward and recovery was good.
    I wasnt put on thyroxine as ent doctor said he thought my remaining thyroid would cope. That was june. By October i was dead on my feet. My hair was falling out i just couldn't stay awake. They did a blood test reluctantly and i was quite out. I started levothyroxine and pretty much have returned to normal apart from large weight gain.
    I am hoping too loose and love this app. I actually think thyroxine makes you eat more x
  • Diggergirl1996
    Options

Good luck.

T4 1ng/dl
    TSH 1.99mIU/L

• Diggergirl1996
    Options
    I'm getting frustrated by this losing inches, losing no weight argument. I have been working out 5 times a week, and watching calories, but no budge in the weight. Last year, I swam 5 times a week and lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I have been swimming now since February, and have only lost 10. I'm at a loss . I am so discouraged.

I've also undergone a biopsy of my thyroid after finding a goiter that was 3.5 cm. The endocrinologist is convinced there's nothing wrong. I found out that the tumor was benign, so yay, but what in the world would have caused this? The cells found in the goiter match up to Hashimotos, but he says no. Even if you have normal TSH, T3, and T4, you can still have this disease. The doctors have no answers. Honestly, I was hoping to blame my thyroid for these issues.

When dieting and exercise don't work, what really is the best answer? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I suspect you will not like the answer, but diet and exercise always work. And you cannot gain weight because of your thyroid or other hormonal issues, with hormone levels being normal, sorry.
    It is very easy, however, to overeat, to have the wrong idea about the portions sizes you are eating or to overestimate what you burn by exercising. Have you tried counting calories? If yes, how long have you been doing this and how are you measuring, using a scale or not?

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. My sister had thyroid issues, normal TSH, T3, and T4 values, and she gained 60 lbs. She's a vegetarian and works out 2 hours a day. It was determined that her thyroid was to blame, and she's now being treated with hormone replacement. She was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Your thyroid controls metabolism, and several diseases associated with the thyroid, including Hashimotos, can affect metabolism and lead to obesity.

I have been counting calories. In fact, even before I was using myfitnesspal, I was doing wight watchers, and I was weighing food. I also exercise 5 days a week, quite vigorously actually.

To have a growth on your thyroid at this size is just not normal. Plus, I didn't have tests in the afternoons to measure my T level, which at this time, typically the T-levels can vary. These tests are some of most inaccurate tests for thyroid levels. These tests are half the reason so many people go undiagnosed.

You have separate issues here:
    1) You need a diagnosis. And if you cannot get answers, you need a new dr. You need someone to explain to you what is happening, what is the prognosis, what to expect. No doubt about any of this.
    2) No one gains weight without being hypothyroid (normal T4) because of hypothyroidism. Sorry, makes no sense. Either you are hypothyroid, so your hormone levels are not normal, or you are not. You can have Hashimoto's and still have a functional thyroid. In which case, you are not hypothyroid yet.
    3) If you do become hypothyroid, you lose energy, your life is affected in several ways, and because everything slows down, you do gain a bit of weight. Unless this goes on for a long time, and you end up unable ot get out of bed or to follow a conversation, you still do nto end up with a ton of extra weight. And if your hypothyroidism is that bad, then weight gain is honestly the least of your problems.

QFT.

You can have antibodies to a disease without the disease being in an active state, in other words. So you may have Hashi's antibodies, but if you're not hypothyroid, it's not a thyroid issue.

For example, I carry Crohn's antibodies, but I do not have Crohn's disease.

A lot of people who think they are counting calories are not doing so accurately.

Are you using a food scale? Are you weighing your food in grams? Are you verifying data base entries? How many of your exercise calories are you eating back?

I admit, I don't use a scale all of the time, however I do my best to verify my entries. There are only a few days in which I ate back my exercise calories. This week, I had hundreds of calories left on each day, with the exception of Friday.

• PeachyCarol
    edited August 2015
    Options

Good luck.

T4 1ng/dl
    TSH 1.99mIU/L

That's a comfortable optimum level, though for me personally, it would be the upper limits of what's good for me and I'd likely be symptomatic.

There are two issues here. One is that from you mentioning fatigue, it does sound like your thyroid might be bothering you.

The other is your weight.

Hypothyroidism may slow your metabolism, but you can still lose weight with it being just marginally off (as you likely are).

Speak to your doctor specifically about your symptoms. Most enlightened endocrinologists will treat a patient for her symptoms, not her numbers. If yours won't? Find one who will.

Regarding the weight issue, perhaps if you opened your diary, some of us could spot some issues where you might be running into some difficulty.

What are your stats? (Age, height, current weight, goal weight, type of training) Are you eating the correct number of calories for example?

Additionally, though a few people mentioned LOW carb up thread, I'd like to take the opportunity to mention that while it is not necessary, some people with hypothyroidism do benefit from LOWERING their carb intake from the MFP suggested level to something more like 35%-40% of calories.

• Diggergirl1996
    Options
    Hi there. My story is similar. About two years ago i discovered a lump which looked like a egg. Went to gp who sent me to hospital. Turns out
    i had a benign tumour about 4cm. Had it and the right side of my thyroid removed. Op was pretty straightforward and recovery was good.
    I wasnt put on thyroxine as ent doctor said he thought my remaining thyroid would cope. That was june. By October i was dead on my feet. My hair was falling out i just couldn't stay awake. They did a blood test reluctantly and i was quite out. I started levothyroxine and pretty much have returned to normal apart from large weight gain.
    I am hoping too loose and love this app. I actually think thyroxine makes you eat more x

Thank you for letting me know your story. I have heard that as well with the levothyroxine. I think that's the main reason why the doctor didn't want to prescribe anything.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'm on 200 mcg of levothyroxine and have lost almost 60 pounds. It doesn't make you gain weight.

Extra calories make you gain weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I actually think thyroxine makes you eat more.

I thought I was gaining weight for no good reason, and I continued to gain on Synthroid. Learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly showed me I was eating way too much.

Hashimoto's made me hungry—not my meds.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Some people eat more when they get thyroid meds and have more energy for things like getting out of bed, cooking a meal, or going out with friends, and generally taking pleasure in life.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what the mystery is here. You were told that you have a thyroid mass that is not functional and not malignant. You have a thyroid adenoma or cyst. This is not a medical mystery. Get re-tested if you like, but in the mean time, eat less. Guaranteed effective.