Mashed Potatoes are bad news!

Options
12346»

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Mayo? In mashed potatoes?

Granted I haven't kept up with this thread, but I find this disturbing. Then again, I hate mayo.

Cream cheese? Now we're talking.

I know a LOT of people who use mayo instead of butter,cream cheese or anything, it doesn't taste bad at all, my own brother wont have it without mayo :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok mayo in mashed potatoes sounds odd... but I love fries with mayo, so heck. LOL.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Who resurrected this thread?????

Whoever you are (@snickerscharlie), you are in BIG trouble now because I'm craving mashed potatoes with butter and all the fixings! :D

Mashed-Potatoes-with-Fixings.png
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok mayo in mashed potatoes sounds odd... but I love fries with mayo, so heck. LOL.

I've never thought of this, though I've seen my beau dip his fries in the tarter sauce when we have fish and chips.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Try it! I just bought two flavoured mayos today - Roasted Garlic and Smoky Bacon. Not sure which one to use first! :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Try it! I just bought two flavoured mayos today - Roasted Garlic and Smoky Bacon. Not sure which one to use first! :)

That is so cool! I have never heard of flavored mayo, and I had never thought of putting it in mashed potatoes. I loved mayo as a kid, hated it for many years, then just a few years ago started loving it again.

I've always loved mashed potatoes, though.......
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would never give up mashed potatoes. Never. Ever. I make it fit calories and enjoy every bite.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I brought these in from the garden today. st1cnij3wd4h.jpg
  • Casualguy87
    Casualguy87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMM
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lol how'd this post come back to life? anyway, I personally will probably stick to cubed/baked potato :]
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Argh. Back from vacation and still forgot about blue cheese mashed potatoes. Later this week...
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Lol how'd this post come back to life? anyway, I personally will probably stick to cubed/baked potato :]

Baked potatoes are GREAT, though, and even the cubed potatoes baked in olive oil and herbs. The only thing I add to my baked potato is butter, though, and even that I weight out. 6 grams is generally enough for me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I brought these in from the garden today. st1cnij3wd4h.jpg

I miss my potato garden so much. I live in a condo, so no place to grow.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I recently tried a recipe from America's Test Kitchen (subscription site) where the potatoes were steamed instead of boiled before mashing. It brought out the natural potato flavour so well that they tasted great with a relatively small amount of butter añd milk (4 tbsp of butter and 3/4 cup of 2% milk for 2 pounds of potatoes).
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    I recently tried a recipe from America's Test Kitchen (subscription site) where the potatoes were steamed instead of boiled before mashing. It brought out the natural potato flavour so well that they tasted great with a relatively small amount of butter añd milk (4 tbsp of butter and 3/4 cup of 2% milk for 2 pounds of potatoes).
    Oh yes, steaming does hold the flavor of potatoes well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kinda...I just decided to take my potatoes and instead of quarter and bake them, like I typically do and totally enjoy...and turn them into mashed potatoes, which I also totally love. The problem is that a serving of 75g is like 150cals, and I dont know about you, but I need like 3 servings to feel like its an adequate amount of mashed potatoes...like 1 serving is barely enough to coat the bag of veggies and chicken I'm gonna have with it...

TLDR, just quarter/season/bake your potatoes...mashed are not worth the time, and deff not the calories :P

I had mashed potatoes tonight. A friend does a Thanksgiving on Labor Day weekend, and everyone brings family favorites to make up a traditional menu. They were great, and I had a totally reasonable serving (of about 75 g). Didn't feel a need for more as there was plenty of other food.

I also don't think they are better than roasted, just a nice change of pace.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Am I the only one who puts mayo in their mashed potatoes? Haven't seen that thrown in yet...

I dated someone whose parents cooked them that way and my stepdad tried to feed me some that way thinking I was only not eating them knowing they mayo but, nope he made em and I was like "I don't know what is wrong with these but, they are gross!" I think it is more of a downhome recipe to use mayo. I personally don't like it
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Yeah, if OP ate more than 1200 calories per day, he'd have room for mashed potatoes. But under doctor's care, so personally I'd tell my doctor.

I ate 1200 cals for a few months whem I started and still had mashed potatoes once or twice a week.

I did 1250 and same here. I usually don't add much besides the potatoes (a bit of milk or, if feeling indulgent, a bit of butter, maybe garlic), but mostly it was because I ate a reasonable serving.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I've never thought of this, though I've seen my beau dip his fries in the tarter sauce when we have fish and chips.

I hate mayo (though not as much as ranch), but I'm a total hypocrite because I LOVE aioli, which is basically just homemade mayo with garlic. I also hate ketchup, and I love that there's a Belgian restaurant here that has fries with aioli. Yum. (I also like tartar sauce on fries, although not on fish.) Basically I seem to hate mayo unless you add extra stuff and then it's fine, at least for fries.
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can't read all the responses, as this thread is making me hungry. But...

I usually make mashed cauliflower. Maybe you can mix potatoes & cauliflower to lessen the calorie load? I've also heard of people using parsnips in mashed cauliflower- not sure why, maybe it helps give that mashed potato consistency. Not sure how the cals in parsnips compare to potatoes, though.

I love your idea.... Helen Cavallo from disney jr has a recipe for mashed cauliflower looks sooo delicious and easy to make i just haven't tried it yet.... And that's fresh!!! Lol