Any foods you've sworn off for life?

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nothing. There are things that I don't like, but taste buds are replaced and I might end up liking things. Two years ago I would have said mushrooms. I hated them. Now I quite like them. There are things that I would not try because of the culture I live in, like balut. I live in a western culture so things like sheep brain or balut will never be on my menu.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Juice because really it's just sugar and meat. Probably should not eat dairy but I love cheese... Cheese just doesn't love me
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Tripe.

(For those not familiar with it, the lining of a cows stomach.)

I tried it twice, the second time because I was sure I was mistaken how awful it was the first time. I wasn't mistaken :'(
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    None. The world is my oyster. Now, I just eat much less of it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »
    Tripe.

I tried it twice, the second time because I was sure I was mistaken how awful it was the first time. I wasn't mistaken :'(

I was camping in the UK with a friend a long time ago. We had purchased canned stews of some sort for dinner, but by the time we got around to making dinner it was pretty much dark.

Midway through the meal, my friend said, "Oh lovely, it's got tripe!" He was really pleased.

Now I wasn't quite sure what tripe was, but something in my head told me that it wasn't an "oh lovely" thing.

Meanwhile, I kept coming across these bit of what seemed like a wide rubber band, and I kept setting them aside, not eating them.

When I finished, he took my bowl to wash up, looked at it, and said, "You left all your tripe!?!"

My thought ... "Whew!"

I think I actually got one piece down, and it was that bad I couldn't bring myself to eat any more of it.

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    pop and kool aid
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spike_G wrote: »
    Tripe.

I was camping in the UK with a friend a long time ago. We had purchased canned stews of some sort for dinner, but by the time we got around to making dinner it was pretty much dark.

Midway through the meal, my friend said, "Oh lovely, it's got tripe!" He was really pleased.

Now I wasn't quite sure what tripe was, but something in my head told me that it wasn't an "oh lovely" thing.

Meanwhile, I kept coming across these bit of what seemed like a wide rubber band, and I kept setting them aside, not eating them.

When I finished, he took my bowl to wash up, looked at it, and said, "You left all your tripe!?!"

My thought ... "Whew!"

I think I actually got one piece down, and it was that bad I couldn't bring myself to eat any more of it.

In Turkey they have kebab restaurants which open late (for the club goers) and the thing to eat there after a few beers is tripe (they call it stomach soup).

I suppose being drunk helps - I had some about 2 years ago and it seemed alright (although I was drink and my taste buds numbed).
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit. I actually think I have a borderline phobia of it :D
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Can't stand chocolate, coffee, marzipan, the white of an egg in any capacity, anything aniseed-y.

Have had to swear off pineapple and fermented carbohydrates (like lentils, chickpeas, bulgar wheat etc) as they make me hideously, hideously unwell (IBS related).

Sob.
  • StygianMind
    StygianMind Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fried foods, ice cream other than Arctic Zero, non-diet drinks, dairy milk, full-fat salad dressing/yogurt, cheese, cake, cheesecake, doughnuts, whole Oreos, packaged cookies in general, non-diet bread, pasta, full-sugar jams and jellies, peanut butter...

Anything that used to be binge food.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of great stuff people have sworn off!! ;)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Red meat makes me bloated and miserable; I finally decided it wasn't worth it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Bread and pasta. Don't miss them either. I make my own low carb bread and I like shiritaki noodles.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Potato chips and pasta
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Liver. Brussell sprouts.
  • overfences
    overfences Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fake stuff pretending to be real food, i.e. "Fat Free Cream," Miracle Whip, margarine, etc. The real foods are much more delicious and so much better for you.

Oh and anything that's been bastardized to be low in fat (esp. salad dressing). You can safely assume they've replaced all the yummy/satiating fat with sugar of some variety.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Tripe - Have always hated it and when I was a very little kid I was forced to eat it the next day cold for breakfast (because I hadn't eaten it the night before) my Mother was sometimes the Devil reincarnated.....it's a wonder I can eat cauliflower because that was always on the plate with the Tripe in Parsley sauce.....all white and congealed. God it made me retch.....
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not food, but I've sworn off diet soft drink completely.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This-
    Azexas wrote: »
    Mushrooms- because they are a fungus and gross....

Pretty much I don't like most fungus/molds etc (cottage cheese/blue cheese/mushrooms)

And Black and white pepper (table pepper) because I am allergic. (Really-throat closing wheezing etc.with just a tiny exposure)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    I've sworn off of all animal products. No meat, dairy, eggs, cheese...

We carnivores need more of you in this world. No, seriously. Supply push economics would make the equilibrium price of beef go down! :-)

Also, since cows and pigs live a long time (and therefore a longer reproduction period), the world protein supply would increase, so long as the soils hold up...

That topic is of interest to me, as I am taking a geology class exploring the critical zone.