Bread?

Options

Replies

• cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Flat Out wraps are great. We recently made personal pizzas using them. I love the sandwich thins, also. But if you want to replace bread, make a sandwich using romaine or bib lettuce.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I would seriously have peanut butter and jelly all over my face and lap if I tried that ! Lol your very talented with chop sticks !

Well, saying that I suck it straight out of the jar with my Gene Simmons-like tongue is just gauche. It's kinda true, but gauche.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wraps and pitas are good choices.. also I absolutely love my cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce !!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Roll up cold cuts, extra points if you can fit a veggie in the middle, or something like hummus. Or cold cuts in my salads. I eat a lot of corn tortillas, too, since medical reasons to eat gluten-free. I find it easier on my budget to eat open faced sandwiches, too. Ummmm. PB&J I also sometimes do with a spoon.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps. I do eat wholegrain or multigrain though... It has better fiber, and I just like the taste better, to be honest.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread...have a sandwich everyday actually
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I love bread, and if you want to replace it with low carb versions of itself to save calories that's one way to go.

But if you want quick snacks that aren't sandwiches, yogurt & fruit, soup, veggies dipped in hummus... Lots of quick meals without bread out there... Handful of nuts. Banana. Hard boiled egg. Cheese. Milk. Smoothies. Cottage cheese. Bowl of cereal. I often make myself a small gnosh of something like cheese, meat and olives.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hi,
    I'm just wondering what do you all eat instead of bread? I eat a lot of white bread in my diet and I want to try and cut it out but I'm unsure as to what I should replace it with? Like literally every time I'm hungry I'm like 'oh I'll just have a sandwich' or 'I'll just make some toast' and then before i know it I've eaten like 4-5 slices of white bread that day! Any Any recommendations would be appreciated! :)
    K x

Nothing.

I eat bread.

I eat my own homemade bread.

I use the bread to make all kinds of sandwiches- peanut butter and jelly, tuna, chicken, roast beef, whatever I've got in the house will often go into a sandwich. :)

It is 100% unnecessary to replace bread in your diet unless you have a medical condition and/or your doctor told you to cut out the bread.

By the way, moderation is key.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I sometimes put salsa in vanilla greek yogurt. <<I can't explain that, it just is.

For real, I make hubby eat his sandwiches on tortillas. Nothing like watching a giant of a man try to eat a Reuben on a tortilla. Comedy gold.

Not sure why you would make your husband eat sandwiches on tortillas. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sandwich thins-whole wheat or multigrain or Dave's 21 seed thin sliced bread.
    Calories from regular bread add up really fast and that's why some of us choose alternatives.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put salsa in vanilla greek yogurt. <<I can't explain that, it just is.

For real, I make hubby eat his sandwiches on tortillas. Nothing like watching a giant of a man try to eat a Reuben on a tortilla. Comedy gold.

Yikes:(
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    lettuce wraps. I am not a big bread eater and do better with fewer carbs, so wrapping sandwich makings in lettuce is fine by me. I even makes lettuce wrap fajitas!
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I would seriously have peanut butter and jelly all over my face and lap if I tried that ! Lol your very talented with chop sticks !

Well, saying that I suck it straight out of the jar with my Gene Simmons-like tongue is just gauche. It's kinda true, but gauche.

This is by far, my favorite comment ever.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what do you all eat instead of bread?

Since I started with MFP, I have eaten more bread (wholegrain) than I ever did before. It was the one thing I craved when I cut back my calories ... so I started eating more of it.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat or whole grain breads give you more fiber.

You can eat white bread and still lose weight, if that's the route you want to go. But the whole grains give you a little punch per piece. :)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It's true that bread is a lot of calories that could be used for something else. Also, if I eat something like a nice crusty roll then I just want more of it. So for me it's best to cut out just about all bread/rolls/etc. I do eat bread made from sprouted grains (Ezekiel brand is the main one around here, but Trader Joe's also has one), but again it's pretty high calorie. So it depends on how much I want it.

I often take lunch meat and roll it around cheese, or roll both of those things in lettuce leaves. For the calories in two slices of bread I'd rather have more meat and cheese, or mayo to dip them in.

I have used Flat-Out wraps and they're good. But mostly I just avoid it all, and use the sprouted kind when I want peanut butter toast or a grilled cheese. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options

That would NOT go down at all well with my husband ... I just wouldn't do that to him!

First of all, he eats what he wants to eat.
    Secondly, he has a physically active job out in the country and proper sandwiches are the way to go.
    Thirdly, we both like bread. :) We buy a fairly good quality bread - various whole grains with no sugar added. It tastes good, lasts well, and really hits the spot.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be fair, I was never much into sandwiches in the first place. Now I have one if I really crave one, but yeah, typically that's 130-300 'empty' calories for me in bread (meaning it doesn't fill me up). So I limit it because even with my 1800 calories, I can't really afford more than 300 'empty' calories or I'll go to bed hungry.

You could try sandwich thins, or wraps. Personally I go more for salads, leftovers, or protein/veggies anyway, and I don't mind burgers without buns.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use Joseph's Flax Oat & Whole Wheat pita bread for sandwiches (60 cals for the large size, I usually can make a good stuffed sandwich on half a pita). For a crunchy carb with breakfast, salad or soup, I eat 3 triscuits. For toast (one of my late-night indulgences), I go for a good high-quality bakery bread (or homemade) with real butter melting in...