Bread?

Options

Replies

• bfmcrys
    bfmcrys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, I love bread, and it was my go-to for everything. Just stop eating it. Now, I eat enough protein, good carbs (oatmeal, rice, quinoa), and veggies, and after about two weeks of no bread, I stopped craving it, most of the time. Good luck!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm kidding about the Reubens on tortillas, folks. Ok, I'm kidding that I force him to eat tortillas instead of bread. He eats as he pleases. He does eat Reubens on tortillas, but that's because he forgots to buy bread and forgets to tell me early enough to bake a loaf. If he's grown enough to eat as he pleases, he's also grown enough to remember to buy bread when he wants it.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Gosh! Some people are so obtuse with their answers. You clearly want an alternative to white bread!!

I don't eat white bread and haven't for years. I only buy wholemeal and the small loaf. I think my hovis wholemeal small is 65 cals per slice. I have a this sometimes toasted for breakfast with 2 boiled eggs. Or again toasted with smoked salmon and light cream cheese.

I don't eat sandwiches for lunch, but at the gym I order their low carb bread muffins which is 86 cals with sausage and egg. Sometimes for lunch I have a crumpet 98 cals and a small tin of beans on top 107 cals instead of a sandwich. I do love bread but tend to vary my lunches to hot lunches instead of the good old sandwich. That way I don't over bread!! It is easy to do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some people will substitute lettuce for bread.....use them like wraps. But honestly, I can't see that as a lifestyle change for me.

I find whole wheat more filling....protein & fiber counts are generally better. I look for a moderate calorie whole wheat....not the highest....not the lowest.
  • Fantasypugs
    Fantasypugs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I like the SaraLee Delightful bread. 2 slices is 90 calories with 18 carbs. My favorite is the healthy multi grain but they have others too.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tumaro's low carb wraps. 60 calories. Buy online or search for a local store: http://www.tumaros.com/pages/productsearch.aspx?c=Low in Carb&cid=76

Or, if it fits the day, bread :)
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I was growing up (a NUMBER of years ago) my parents ate toast for breakfast and sandwiches at lunch every weekday. There was bread at dinner, too if you wanted it. They were slim (and they still are).

The catch? Their portion sizes were small and they rarely eat between meals (a coffee or tea, maybe).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Keep the bread in the freezer. Defrost one slice at a time.

Slice up various vegetables every morning to snack on when you get the hungries. They'll slow you down and help you consider if you are hungry or simply eating out of habit.

Crackers and dry popcorn help too of you need that dry crunch.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I would seriously have peanut butter and jelly all over my face and lap if I tried that ! Lol your very talented with chop sticks !

Well, saying that I suck it straight out of the jar with my Gene Simmons-like tongue is just gauche. It's kinda true, but gauche.

Vvp6C.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    hi,
    I'm just wondering what do you all eat instead of bread? I eat a lot of white bread in my diet and I want to try and cut it out but I'm unsure as to what I should replace it with? Like literally every time I'm hungry I'm like 'oh I'll just have a sandwich' or 'I'll just make some toast' and then before i know it I've eaten like 4-5 slices of white bread that day! Any Any recommendations would be appreciated! :)
    K x

If I eat bread made from flour I have a hard time stopping and will keep finding excuses to have meals based around bread.

However, this doesn't happen when I eat bread made from sprouted grains like Ezekial/Food for Life, or my new favorite, Alvarado St Bakery. All the supermarkets near me carry one or the other, often in the freezer section, as they are more perishable than conventional white bread.

50 calories per slice! http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/product_detail.php?id=26
  • iambicpentagram
    iambicpentagram Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Swap white bread for wheat bread or sprouted bread with plenty of seeds and grains. Also, if you want something on toast or a sandwich, and you have already eaten the portion of bread for the day, just swap the bread for romaine lettuce or another fruit or vegetable! I love eating sandwich salads (that's what I call it haha). Examples:
    °PB apple sandwich, just slice the apple in half! °Veggie burger- or other protein of choice- with whatever toppings you usually use over romaine lettuce
    °Tacos wrapped in large Boston lettuce leaves.
    °Zucchini slices as a pizza crust
    The possibilities are endless! Enjoy!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    When I want bread, I eat bread. I just eat healthier bread than I used to. While I used to eat Sara Lee Honey Wheat bread, or the french loaves from the Walmart Bakery section, I now usually eat Ezekiel bread or the breads and bagels from Sami's Bakery. If I have time, I eat some homemade whole wheat bread of my own creation. You can still eat bread. Just limit your portion size and stay under your calorie goal.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wheat allergy caused me to limit bread. Soups (no bread basket) , salads ( no croutons), meat and potatoes, ckn and rice. Etc. Those are my meals now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lol, substitute it with white rice!!!!

Bread isn't bad. Over consumption of it is. You just have to create a behavior of not over eating it. Most of it is just a mental adjustment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want to change your whole diet, then brown rice is the way to go. Much healthier, nutrition and fills your stomach lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If you want to change your whole diet, then brown rice is the way to go. Much healthier, nutrition and fills your stomach lol.
    It's not hardly any healthier than white rice, isn't that much better in nutrition, and it fills your stomach the same. Not to mention that brown rice contains phytic acid which can reduce absorption of some minerals in the small intestine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Nope, very similar to white rice and doesn't fill me up one bit either.

I actually go whole grains everything and just switched back to white rice...
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am sure that brown rice has more B vitamin so and defiantly also fibre.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I am sure that brown rice has more B vitamin so and defiantly also fibre.

Ok so brown rice has 2g of fiber per serving... not worth the taste trade off IMO... although I'm sure it depends on the type of rice.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but I do try to be mindful (as with any foods) of how much I am eating. I like the FiberOne Wraps, and they are only 80 calories. They are smaller than regular wraps, but I find them good for lunch with various fillings. I actually also use them instead of tortillas for tacos and it works great.