Bread?

Options

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can't stand whole wheat or whole grain bread. I've tried various brands & it's just not for me. I eat white bread but look for the kinds with low calories. I'm currently eating Nature's Own white & it's 40 calories a slice. I like bread & have no intentions on cutting it out of my diet. I have tried the sandwich thins & Flat outs as others have mentioned & they are a good substitute.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bread doesn't eyed to be replaced with any starches. To replace the calories I would add back a protein, fat, or a veggie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I am sure that brown rice has more B vitamin so and defiantly also fibre.
    More yes. Significantly more to make a nutritional impact? Not really.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I can't stand whole wheat or whole grain bread. I've tried various brands & it's just not for me. I eat white bread but look for the kinds with low calories. I'm currently eating Nature's Own white & it's 40 calories a slice. I like bread & have no intentions on cutting it out of my diet. I have tried the sandwich thins & Flat outs as others have mentioned & they are a good substitute.
    Then you're doing it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    hi,
    I'm just wondering what do you all eat instead of bread? I eat a lot of white bread in my diet and I want to try and cut it out but I'm unsure as to what I should replace it with? Like literally every time I'm hungry I'm like 'oh I'll just have a sandwich' or 'I'll just make some toast' and then before i know it I've eaten like 4-5 slices of white bread that day! Any Any recommendations would be appreciated! :)
    K x

Does the bread fit your calorie goal? Are you getting enough of other foods to provide the nutrients you need? Are you feeling full and satisfied eating so much bread?
    If yes, then you don't need to change anything.
    If no, then I would reduce your bread consumption to 2 slices a day. Maybe switch to whole grain bread for more fiber. I would plan to eat more protein, fruit or vegetables.
    Hard boiled eggs, cheese, fruit, carrots, celery, olives, pickles, yogurt, meat, cheese, nuts, granola bar, pudding, hummus, popcorn, lettuce/spinach wraps... whatever other food you like.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You obviously like sandwiches so just prelog your meals the night before and include the bread. Make sure you weigh everything including mayo and anything else that could add calories. Don't try to cut out bread just try and eat less of it. Two pieces of toast tastes just as good as four.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I eat bread... At 70 calories a slice...I can afford to cut elsewhere if I need to (Mustard/Horseradish instead of Mayo). I love me some sammmmiches!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, I used to always have sandwiches for lunch. I still do, occasionally. I still eat bread, just less of it. I have switched to having salad with protein at lunch (often canned chicken or sometimes a cooked veggie burger in there), and eating more vegetables at dinner instead of bread or other starch. There is nothing wrong with bread, but it does have a lot of calories, so if you are looking for lower calorie options, this is one. Also, there are low/carb-low/calorie tortillas that you might substitute.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hi,
    I'm just wondering what do you all eat instead of bread? I eat a lot of white bread in my diet and I want to try and cut it out but I'm unsure as to what I should replace it with? Like literally every time I'm hungry I'm like 'oh I'll just have a sandwich' or 'I'll just make some toast' and then before i know it I've eaten like 4-5 slices of white bread that day! Any Any recommendations would be appreciated! :)
    K x

I eat bread...

I like Dave's Killer Bread myself...

IMG_21351.jpg
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I sometimes put salsa in vanilla greek yogurt. <<I can't explain that, it just is.

For real, I make hubby eat his sandwiches on tortillas. Nothing like watching a giant of a man try to eat a Reuben on a tortilla. Comedy gold.

Why? Not that there's anything wrong with a tortilla...I'm from NM and I eat a lot of burritos...but there's going to be more nutrition in a hardy whole grain bread than a tortilla.

If my wife even tried to make me do that...there'd be some problems.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hi,
    K x

I eat bread...

I like Dave's Killer Bread myself...

IMG_21351.jpg
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I sometimes put salsa in vanilla greek yogurt. <<I can't explain that, it just is.

For real, I make hubby eat his sandwiches on tortillas. Nothing like watching a giant of a man try to eat a Reuben on a tortilla. Comedy gold.

Why? Not that there's anything wrong with a tortilla...I'm from NM and I eat a lot of burritos...but there's going to be more nutrition in a hardy whole grain bread than a tortilla.

If my wife even tried to make me do that...there'd be some problems.

I was joking that it was forced. The only time he does that is when he forgets to buy bread or forgets to tell me to bake a loaf. I don't do bread, so if he wants it (which is rare, so it's not just in the house waiting), he has to say something. It's still funny to watch though.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like to make dinner rolls when hubby has a bread craving. Taste way better than store bought bread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I like to make dinner rolls when hubby has a bread craving. Taste way better than store bought bread.

Ya, home made dinner rolls were the first thing I needed to cut - I can resist the ones from the store but not mine. Now I want.

/flees the thread/

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    go whole grain,my new favorite is barley.Alos brown and wild rice. Minute Made has a new mix of Quinoa,brown rice and wild rice. If it must be bread go for a very dense slow to digest bread like Ezickel, rye or pumpernickel. If I eat white bread I can't stop!!
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am sure that brown rice has more B vitamin so and defiantly also fibre.
    More yes. Significantly more to make a nutritional impact? Not really.
    Now that foods are fortified it doesn't make a big difference. But before refined grains were fortified, it made a huge nutritional difference.

Nowadays the main carb that might not be fortified is tortillas. Or sometimes homemade foods. But usually carbs are fortified.
  • AlexanderHeyne
    AlexanderHeyne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use ezekiel bread, but otherwise I tend to eat a lot of rice or corn tortillas instead.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hi,
    K x

4-500 calories?

I could eat steak, chips and a salad
  • Aceydeal
    Aceydeal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to use bread with higher fiber content when I can. I am not afraid of the carbs, and have found that tortillas and other sandwich alternatives can have just as many calories and be lower in fiber.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you want alternatives to sliced bread, there's a lot of good suggestions here. I like whole wheat pita, tortillas, wraps with lettuce or just do without. Good luck.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We are a fan of Dave's Killer Bread as well, it takes delicious, full of fiber and pretty hardy. Generally I'll just use once slice and do everything open faced, or do lettuce wraps when possible.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. Either Healthy Life bread or Aunt Millie's 35 calorie. I like AM a bit more as it's softer and bigger slices. But I get the HL for free on WIC. I also use the Aldi version of Flatouts and the Slimwiches.