How long to lose the skinny fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait… you had your third baby 9 months ago and wondering why you have some fat on your belly? That is why. You may need to cut some more, but you may also just need some more time and lots of planks before the stomach retracts fully. Are you sure you don't have any diastasis recti? And I just wanted to make sure you aren't currently nursing, because you body with keep around an extra bit of fat while nursing.

As you know, each successive kid stretches out those muscle more and more and it can take a while to fully retracted. Strong curves is a good program and includes different plank variations. Time + maybe a little fat loss + realistic expectation of yourself after 3 kids = success.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Wait wait wait… you had your third baby 9 months ago and wondering why you have some fat on your belly? That is why. You may need to cut some more, but you may also just need some more time and lots of planks before the stomach retracts fully. Are you sure you don't have any diastasis recti? And I just wanted to make sure you aren't currently nursing, because you body with keep around an extra bit of fat while nursing.

As you know, each successive kid stretches out those muscle more and more and it can take a while to fully retracted. Strong curves is a good program and includes different plank variations. Time + maybe a little fat loss + realistic expectation of yourself after 3 kids = success.

I do have diastasis but have closed it to within normal range. I've gotten very lucky after three babies, no stretch marks and a little loose skin if I bend over. My guess is I'd have more noticeable loose skin if I were leaner, the fat fills it up. My belly looked like this before I had kids though so I don't think having babies has made a significant difference for me. I do have a good handful of grabbable fat that just will not go unless I get to underweight levels.

Edited to add, no I'm not nursing.
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

I do know that. However, I'm 5'3" at 115lbs. To lose the fat would put me underweight. I've been as low as 107lbs before, but still the belly. My ribs were sticking out and I looked gross, people were getting concerned as it did not look healthy on me. I'm not willing to go below the weight that I am now because I clearly do not look healthy at a lower weight.

I had the same thing happen to me. I lost 35 lbs and hit my goal of 125 at 5' 3", but I still had that pesky fat around my midsection.. That was almost 3 years ago and I'm pleased to announce I've finally lost it :)
    For me it was about consisting toning. My fat was in my midsection, so I took up yoga. Because you work so much core in yoga, it seemed to target the area I needed. It took a good 6 months of practice 4-5 days a week, but I finally started to see and feel the fat melt away and turn into muscle.
    I don't know if yoga is for everyone, but it worked for me. My suggestion is to find exercises that tone the areas you are concerned with and be patient.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think it can be done, I am just 6 weeks into maintenance calorie intake,lifting heavy of course and 3 lbs have gone , stomach is looking a bit better, I've heard recomp takes a while but it's ok, cos it's slow but sure,instead of super fast and maybe having the eh rebound thing
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

I do know that. However, I'm 5'3" at 115lbs. To lose the fat would put me underweight. I've been as low as 107lbs before, but still the belly. My ribs were sticking out and I looked gross, people were getting concerned as it did not look healthy on me. I'm not willing to go below the weight that I am now because I clearly do not look healthy at a lower weight.

I had the same thing happen to me. I lost 35 lbs and hit my goal of 125 at 5' 3", but I still had that pesky fat around my midsection.. That was almost 3 years ago and I'm pleased to announce I've finally lost it :)
    For me it was about consisting toning. My fat was in my midsection, so I took up yoga. Because you work so much core in yoga, it seemed to target the area I needed. It took a good 6 months of practice 4-5 days a week, but I finally started to see and feel the fat melt away and turn into muscle.
    I don't know if yoga is for everyone, but it worked for me. My suggestion is to find exercises that tone the areas you are concerned with and be patient.

Thank you! Gives me hope it can be done.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can't target fat loss. Yoga just gave you stronger muscles. Weight loss, or recomposition over time is what provided the flat stomach. It would have happened if you followed any program. For you, it just so happened that yoga was your workout of choice, which is great.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 100-105 in maintenance with a body fat of somewhere between 22-25 (depending on which calc site I use, I think they are all a bit sketchy).

I do mainly body weight exercises, and am quite happy with how I look. Would I like to lose a tad more fat? Some days, but not enough to drop to an underweight BMI, or do a more intense resistance routine.
    Am I skinny- fat? I don't think so, but it is a slightly subjective term.

It is all very individualistic; what you want to look like, vs what you are willing to do to get there. I like functional fitness and not looking too scrawny, that may be an age thing ;)

Here is me. ...

dklyzzse5kzd.jpg

Cheers, h.
    Edit( can't believe I have just posted that! )

You look great :) and thank you for posting. I am a few years older than you - I don't want to look too scrawny, either, and I think that will mean making peace with a bit more fat around my midsection (which is current within what the charts say is "normal"). I am 5-6 at 146 ish and I think I could probably be ok at ~140 - but lower than that I think the scrawny would definitely set in big time. We'll see. I stopped the lifting program when I got too busy with summer outdoor stuff but I will pick it back up this fall.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Thank you maxit,
    Yup, it is a fine line when we get post 60yo!
    I too spend time in the weight room in the winter. Summers are way to busy outdoors for any structured exercises.

Summer: nerdfitness, trying to swim and forever rebuilding the house or garden.

Winter: weight room, Zumba, and aqua fit. The latter 2 are excellent for mobility, flexibility, cardio, balance, and posture.

For your height your weight goal (140) sounds really good. Slim, but not scrawny.

Cheers, h.
    And yeah, we can live with a little tummy if we have to.

Ch