Fat Free vs Farm Fresh

Options
Is a 'fat free' product really ever better for you than a good old full fat, but farm fresh one??
I've found myself in many a conversation regarding this topic. In my experience most people believe that it's healthier and better for you to eat 'fat free' products over the non processed farm fresh ones simply because of the fat and calories.
In my opinion I think this is completely backwards. In order for that fattening product to be labeled as 'fat free'; manufactured and highly processed junk needs to be added in place of the natural ingredients that make it fattening.
When it comes to my health and what I put in my body, I will always choose the full fat natural product over the processed mess that people think is 'diet food'.
For example, have you ever read the ingredients on a 'I can't believe it's not butter'? It has so many unpronounceable ingredients in it I get cross eyed looking at it... But hey it's only got 10 calories in it, so it MUST be better than real butter.. Right!? WRONG!!!! Your body isn't made to consume processed and lab manufactured ingredients. Your body wants and needs good old fashioned farm fresh foods that nourish and fuel you.
Now I'm not saying go out and eat excess amounts of the full fat options, as they are still fattening and not good for you in large quantities, but I am saying that we should all think about what we are putting in our bodies when we choose the processed options that read like diet food.
What are your experiences? What foods do you choose to eat fresh and what do you choose to eat 'fat free'?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nothing needs to be added to make dairy fat free. As for what's preferable between skim, low fat, and full fat, it depends on preferences and goals. I eat skim or low fat to save calories for roasted chicken with skin or cheese or whole eggs, while others may care more about full fat yogurt than I do.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about dairy? I usually opt for non-fat or reduced fat simply because I have trouble not eating too much fat and I'd rather get it elsewhere. None of the products I buy have a lot of stuff added. The ingredients are usually the same as their full fat counterparts. Yes, there was processing to remove the fat but that doesn't mean something was added to replace the fat. For example: my nonfat greek yogurt has one igredient - cultured grade A nonfat milk.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fat free doesn't have to equal highly processed. There are plenty of reduced fat or fat free dairy products that don't meet the definition.

Fat free as a marketing term is just that, a marketing term. It's a remnant of the fat free diet fad of years ago. Processed junk with no fiber and tons of refined sugar is processed junk, no matter how you label it.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I feel like the dialogue has gone in the opposite direction, where now most people slam any food that might be considered diet-y and say that cleaner foods are per se healthier. It's not that I don't think clean, or organic, or unprocessed, etc. food is healthy, but many of us are also trying to find a manageable way to reduce calories. Sometimes that means I eat lower fat versions of foods. I love avocados, or real butter, or peanut butter, or full fat cheese, but moderation is difficult af sometimes, so I've learned to make sacrifices here and there.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fat free much of anything, other than occasional Greek yogurt when I can't find another version. I do eat reduced fat dairy such as yogurt, milk, cream cheese, and sour cream. I do so for their reduced calorie contents and because I like their taste (particularly with sour cream)

I eat a container of reduced fat sour cream every week, as I mix it with salsa for salad dressing.
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    People. I'm not talking about just dairy... That was just an example.. I'm talking about all the low fat and fat free crap like pasta, chips, ice cream, those healthy eating frozen lunches, etc. all the foods that say in big letters 'fat free' low calorie...
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People. I'm not talking about just dairy... That was just an example.. I'm talking about all the low fat and fat free crap like pasta, chips, ice cream, those healthy eating frozen lunches, etc. all the foods that say in big letters 'fat free' low calorie...

Ok, but the "farm fresh" is what turned it into a discussion about dairy. There's no such thing as a farm fresh bowl of pasta. Well, maybe. But not day to day.

Many of those items have fillers to ensure the proper mouthfeel. I don't really shop in grocery stores mainly because of this.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Pasta shouldn't have fat. The marketing gimmick there is labeling it as if that made it special. Unless you mean prepared pasta dishes from the grocery, which I wouldn't buy.

Maybe I'm just not the market for whatever you are talking about as the only example of this i happen upon much is dairy.
  • loeylovesyou
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

Ok, but the "farm fresh" is what turned it into a discussion about dairy. There's no such thing as a farm fresh bowl of pasta. Well, maybe. But not day to day.

Okay maybe farm fresh isn't the right word.. I wasn't looking for people to go all crazy saying low fat is good for you. I never said it wasn't.. What I AM trying to get across is that a lot of the fad diet fat free options that parade around as diet food aren't good for your body. If they are natural and not full of processed junk then by all means it's probably good for you...
    The main point here is read the label. I know too many people trying to lose weight and get healthy, but they are eating foods based on the big label in the front stating its low in this and free of that.. Those people ask me how I've stayed so fit and healthy over the years and my answer is I don't buy into the gimmicks. I eat as natural as possible in smart portions and I exercise.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I take "fat free" as a flag for "chemical *kitten* storm". Why take away that which nature intended.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    Options

Well you are unlikely to find farm fresh pasta or frozen meals, so basically you are talking meals from fresh ingredients vs. premade meals, correct?

Having a small farm myself I'm all for farm fresh foods, but I also have absolutely no problem tossing some of my farm fresh food with pasta for dinner. My only problem with frozen meals is they don't taste as good as mine.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hmm, as for frozen meals, none are farm fresh or my thing, but I imagine a lower cal one like an Amy's Light and Lean is often more nutritious than a Marie Callendar pot pie or Hungry Man thing. It really depends.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They don't have to add anything to make cottage cheese "fat free."

Some people have medical issues that make them reduce the fat. Many people reduce the fat just to avoid the calories it brings. Both are perfectly valid reasons.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I just think it's all moderation. Weight loss is hard and for some people starting out, incorporating some processed low fat stuff like frozen dinners can be a step in the right direction and helps with portion control. By the same token, eating all-natural stuff is fine and good but not if you eat too much of it. Sure, in a perfect world, everyone would eat a reasonable amount of healthy, fresh, organic, unprocessed food. That's not always easy or realistic, so most people find a happy medium. Low-fat processed junk may not be ideal but sometimes it's a step in the right direction when the previous step was high-fat processed junk in mass quantities.
  • loeylovesyou
    Options
    v9iowiamz4e0.jpg
    uzkwxek843gl.jpg
    Since everyone's going on about dairy and I've apparently confused the whole thread with my title... Here's an example I just took off a coworkers desk..
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce..
    I understand that some people eat clean like me and wouldn't touch the stuff, and others wood eat this in moderation or in addition to their healthy diet. I'm posting for those that aren't quite sure of what exactly is and isn't good for you... Many people that are beginning their healthy living journey aren't educated on labels and end up grabbing the things that are marketed as healthy without understanding what exactly they are eating.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    aledba wrote: »

Okay maybe farm fresh isn't the right word.. I wasn't looking for people to go all crazy saying low fat is good for you. I never said it wasn't.. What I AM trying to get across is that a lot of the fad diet fat free options that parade around as diet food aren't good for your body. If they are natural and not full of processed junk then by all means it's probably good for you...
    The main point here is read the label. I know too many people trying to lose weight and get healthy, but they are eating foods based on the big label in the front stating its low in this and free of that.. Those people ask me how I've stayed so fit and healthy over the years and my answer is I don't buy into the gimmicks. I eat as natural as possible in smart portions and I exercise.

No offense, but you are also here with weight to lose just like a lot of other people. I've made it 20 years past your age and I've never been unhealthy. I do eat a lot of fresh food, but I also eat a bit of junk and premade food. I believe it's all about balance and luck. People can eat healthy and exercise and still get disease.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that the ingredients you don't know are the B vitamin names? There is nothing scary on that label.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.

All the vitamins are not in the fat of peanut butter.