Fat Free vs Farm Fresh

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    v9iowiamz4e0.jpg
    uzkwxek843gl.jpg
    Since everyone's going on about dairy and I've apparently confused the whole thread with my title... Here's an example I just took off a coworkers desk..
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce..
    I understand that some people eat clean like me and wouldn't touch the stuff, and others wood eat this in moderation or in addition to their healthy diet. I'm posting for those that aren't quite sure of what exactly is and isn't good for you... Many people that are beginning their healthy living journey aren't educated on labels and end up grabbing the things that are marketed as healthy without understanding what exactly they are eating.

1. I think you mean 480 mg of sodium, not salt.
    2. There are many people who are just starting out who see confusing posts like yours and think that they have to eat a certain way in order to be successful, that eating anything less than "clean" or "farm fresh" or whatever the label du jour will doom them to failure. It is misleading info like yours that prompts so many people to come into threads like these to ask for clarification about what someone means when you use the word "clean" or why it may turn some people off to use that word since it assigns superiority to certain foods.
    3. I think you may be a perfect example of your last sentence - you clearly don't understand what you are eating if you think that the ingredients on that soup are automatically bad for you just because you can't pronounce them.
    4. To that point... have you ever looked at what makes up an apple, as someone else asked? If someone can't pronounce these components, which are basic elements and molecules that can be found in both natural and man-made products, then should they not eat them?
    i5FL3.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Bread I don't buy

fb8582ca4ed1db464c2e79194b758d1f.png

I don't buy that bread either. But my reason is much simpler--it tastes bad.

(I thought so as a kid too. I am really picky about bread, one of the few areas where I'd apply the p word to myself.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    v9iowiamz4e0.jpg
    uzkwxek843gl.jpg
    Since everyone's going on about dairy and I've apparently confused the whole thread with my title... Here's an example I just took off a coworkers desk..
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce..
    I understand that some people eat clean like me and wouldn't touch the stuff, and others wood eat this in moderation or in addition to their healthy diet. I'm posting for those that aren't quite sure of what exactly is and isn't good for you... Many people that are beginning their healthy living journey aren't educated on labels and end up grabbing the things that are marketed as healthy without understanding what exactly they are eating.

I can pronounce all those ingredients. You can too. Sound it out.

Yep. I even know what all of them are. I assumed they'd be a lot more out there before I actually read the list.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how many who "don't eat what you can't pronounce" pay no attention to the products you put on your body and can be absorbed through the skin? Can you pronounce all of these?:
    aqua (water, eau), sodium bis-hydroxyethylglycinate coco-glucosides crosspolymer, sodium cocoyl alaninate, glycerin, disodium cocoyl glutamate, parfum (fragrance), oryza sativa (rice) extract, sodium cocoyl, hydrolyzed soy protein, sodium cocoyl glutamate, hydrolyzed jojoba protein, arginine, sodium polyaspartate, mangifera indica (mango) seed oil, origanum vulgare leaf oil, ficus carica (fig) fruit/leaf extract thymus vulgaris (thyme) oil, sodium lauroyl lactylate, xanthan gum, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lauryl lactyl lactate, sodium chloride, sodium benzoate, lactic acid, leuconostoc ferment filtrate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, potassium sorbate.

(This is the ingredients list for Natural Burt's Bees Shampoo)

I guess my point is that it helps to familiarize yourself with ingredients instead of rejecting anything with a "Chemical" sounding name.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how many who "don't eat what you can't pronounce" pay no attention to the products you put on your body and can be absorbed through the skin? Can you pronounce all of these?:
    aqua (water, eau), sodium bis-hydroxyethylglycinate coco-glucosides crosspolymer, sodium cocoyl alaninate, glycerin, disodium cocoyl glutamate, parfum (fragrance), oryza sativa (rice) extract, sodium cocoyl, hydrolyzed soy protein, sodium cocoyl glutamate, hydrolyzed jojoba protein, arginine, sodium polyaspartate, mangifera indica (mango) seed oil, origanum vulgare leaf oil, ficus carica (fig) fruit/leaf extract thymus vulgaris (thyme) oil, sodium lauroyl lactylate, xanthan gum, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lauryl lactyl lactate, sodium chloride, sodium benzoate, lactic acid, leuconostoc ferment filtrate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, potassium sorbate.

I guess my point is that it helps to familiarize yourself with ingredients instead of rejecting anything with a "Chemical" sounding name.

I like you:)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Stop! You're sciencing!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    v9iowiamz4e0.jpg
    uzkwxek843gl.jpg

I used to worry about that stuff too. Then I started reading. Surprisingly, a lot of the scary sounding stuff isn't really scary once you learn what it is.

Sodium isn't the devil either unless you have a medical issue. In fact, I've known people who were "clean eaters" who also liked to drink lots of water that ran into trouble due to illogical fear of sodium.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I always find it important to be as natural as possible when drinking the milk of another species as an adult, especially a species that didn't exist without humans' selective being it, and feeding it a diet of foods that likewise didn't exist prior to human selective breeding. Science and human effort can't improve things. Don't ask why I'm on the internet in contradiction to that principle.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    v9iowiamz4e0.jpg
    uzkwxek843gl.jpg

I don't see a single ingredient in there on first glance that wouldn't be there if it was higher in fat. Most of the things I assume you mean when you say you can't pronounce them are added vitamins and minerals. That's good stuff.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm. We ate lots of boxes of macaroni and cheese, and canned soups, and the like. Granted we had eggs from the hen house, and milk from the bulk tank, but that didn't mean every single thing we ate was 'farm fresh'. Jeez.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Of all the diet mantras out there, I find "don't eat what you can't pronounce" to be one of the most flawed. It means that the less educated get a smaller range of options to eat than others, that chemists can eat what the hell they like, that people from different countries are all good to eat food from their native country, but foreigners can't eat the food from that country, that foods with an easy to pronounce 'common name' are OK so long as you call it by the name...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It just occurred to me that OP said she plucked that soup container off her coworkers desk.
    So like, did you get permission from your coworker to touch their stuff and take pictures of their food and post it online?
    Cuz if I found out that one of my coworkers was touching my stuff at my personal workstation and had posted it online being all self righteous (yes you were being self righteous) "OMG soo unclean how can anyone eat this" I would have words with that person. And not nice words either.
    Agree!!

OP if you did that you should be ashamed of yourself.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Is a 'fat free' product really ever better for you than a good old full fat, but farm fresh one??
    I've found myself in many a conversation regarding this topic. In my experience most people believe that it's healthier and better for you to eat 'fat free' products over the non processed farm fresh ones simply because of the fat and calories.
    In my opinion I think this is completely backwards. In order for that fattening product to be labeled as 'fat free'; manufactured and highly processed junk needs to be added in place of the natural ingredients that make it fattening.
    When it comes to my health and what I put in my body, I will always choose the full fat natural product over the processed mess that people think is 'diet food'.
    For example, have you ever read the ingredients on a 'I can't believe it's not butter'? It has so many unpronounceable ingredients in it I get cross eyed looking at it... But hey it's only got 10 calories in it, so it MUST be better than real butter.. Right!? WRONG!!!! Your body isn't made to consume processed and lab manufactured ingredients. Your body wants and needs good old fashioned farm fresh foods that nourish and fuel you.
    Now I'm not saying go out and eat excess amounts of the full fat options, as they are still fattening and not good for you in large quantities, but I am saying that we should all think about what we are putting in our bodies when we choose the processed options that read like diet food.
    What are your experiences? What foods do you choose to eat fresh and what do you choose to eat 'fat free'?

Well.... except the reason good ol' Louis Pasteur invented the pasteurization process is because drinking milk in the raw can kill you. There's a lot of bacteria hanging out in the old bulk tank, and although we all drank out of it as kids, a lot of people actually do get sick from it. 'Farm fresh' sounds good in theory, but preservatives were invented because people got sick from eating food off the shelf that had gone bad after sitting there a little too long. Knock them all you like, but they are the reason we don't have food shortage problems with the global population we have now. First worlders, calm down.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    People. I'm not talking about just dairy... That was just an example.. I'm talking about all the low fat and fat free crap like pasta, chips, ice cream, those healthy eating frozen lunches, etc. all the foods that say in big letters 'fat free' low calorie...

Mmm...."crap" is in the perception.

It's just food, that's all it is. No food is good or bad, or crap for that matter.

If I like something, it doesn't matter if it's fat free or half fat or low fat or full fat, I'm going to buy it just because I like it.

Likewise, I won't not buy something just because it is a "diet" food or fat free or sugar free. If it looks tasty, I might buy it just to try it.

I wish I could have ice cream and sour cream but I'm lactose intolerant so it's dairy free choices only for me.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.

You're right, it is.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

YES!