Fat Free vs Farm Fresh

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Since everyone's going on about dairy and I've apparently confused the whole thread with my title... Here's an example I just took off a coworkers desk..

Tell me you didn't..........

surprise-04.jpg
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce..

It is what it is.
    I understand that some people eat clean like me and wouldn't touch the stuff, and others wood eat this in moderation or in addition to their healthy diet. I'm posting for those that aren't quite sure of what exactly is and isn't good for you... Many people that are beginning their healthy living journey aren't educated on labels and end up grabbing the things that are marketed as healthy without understanding what exactly they are eating.

Do you see what you are doing here? You are saying that your way of eating is better than others who don't eat the same way. I would say if labels are that important to you that you might not be educated on weight loss and nutrition. No, I don't mean that as an insult, I mean it as a counter to the statement in bold. What you say up there is inaccurate information.

Food is food and there is no reason to demonize it, even if you are unable to eat certain foods due to a medical issues, allergy, or intolerance...or choice.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I live in a very farm-to-table area that has been like this for well over a hundred years--far before any trend.

Personally, I prefer my produce local and my dairy full-fat with the exception of milk. I hate the taste of plain milk and only use it for cooking, so because I'm not having it "plain", I'll go lower fat to save some calories. By low fat, I mean 2%.

I just can't do reduced fat cheese. I think it greatly affects both flavor and consistency (I feel like it sort of has a waxy feel). It's hard to find a good full-fat yogurt in my regular grocery store, so I just do what I can.

I have to eat a low-carb diet due to medical reasons and I have to stick with moderate protein for the same reasons. So the macro that has to make up for that is fat. It is what it is, and it's a way of eating that makes my body feel good.

But really, the overall point is that we all have different goals and different ways that we enjoy eating. If someone enjoys eating low-fat, that does no harm to me. We need to eat in ways that satisfy us so that we can continue of this journey and have it be sustainable.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You're right, it is.

I once had an argument with a customer who wanted the regular 7-Up, not the caffeine free (as prominently labelled on the carton). He never did get it that 7-UP never had caffeine and they were just promoting that fact.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.
    You're right, it is.

I once had an argument with a customer who wanted the regular 7-Up, not the caffeine free (as prominently labelled on the carton). He never did get it that 7-UP never had caffeine and they were just promoting that fact.

Wasn't that one of their ad campaigns?

"Never Had It, Never Will"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You're right, it is.

Wasn't that one of their ad campaigns?

"Never Had It, Never Will"

I'd forgotten those!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OHGXiFtQCo
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Aw man, I forgot about Geoffrey Holder. One of the best looking men ever on the planet!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see my memory serves, I could even hear those words in his unmistakeable voice!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

You're right, it is.

Yep, there is no "regular" 7 up.

By the way, I love real peanut butter (I grind my own) and real butter (the one dairy I CAN eat). :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's like people think that to work in a food factory, you have to be Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin and Ivan the Terrible rolled into one.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how many who "don't eat what you can't pronounce" pay no attention to the products you put on your body and can be absorbed through the skin? Can you pronounce all of these?:
    aqua (water, eau), sodium bis-hydroxyethylglycinate coco-glucosides crosspolymer, sodium cocoyl alaninate, glycerin, disodium cocoyl glutamate, parfum (fragrance), oryza sativa (rice) extract, sodium cocoyl, hydrolyzed soy protein, sodium cocoyl glutamate, hydrolyzed jojoba protein, arginine, sodium polyaspartate, mangifera indica (mango) seed oil, origanum vulgare leaf oil, ficus carica (fig) fruit/leaf extract thymus vulgaris (thyme) oil, sodium lauroyl lactylate, xanthan gum, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lauryl lactyl lactate, sodium chloride, sodium benzoate, lactic acid, leuconostoc ferment filtrate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, potassium sorbate.

(This is the ingredients list for Natural Burt's Bees Shampoo)

I guess my point is that it helps to familiarize yourself with ingredients instead of rejecting anything with a "Chemical" sounding name.

Helps with what?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how many who "don't eat what you can't pronounce" pay no attention to the products you put on your body and can be absorbed through the skin? Can you pronounce all of these?:
    aqua (water, eau), sodium bis-hydroxyethylglycinate coco-glucosides crosspolymer, sodium cocoyl alaninate, glycerin, disodium cocoyl glutamate, parfum (fragrance), oryza sativa (rice) extract, sodium cocoyl, hydrolyzed soy protein, sodium cocoyl glutamate, hydrolyzed jojoba protein, arginine, sodium polyaspartate, mangifera indica (mango) seed oil, origanum vulgare leaf oil, ficus carica (fig) fruit/leaf extract thymus vulgaris (thyme) oil, sodium lauroyl lactylate, xanthan gum, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, lauryl lactyl lactate, sodium chloride, sodium benzoate, lactic acid, leuconostoc ferment filtrate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, potassium sorbate.

I guess my point is that it helps to familiarize yourself with ingredients instead of rejecting anything with a "Chemical" sounding name.

Helps with what?

Not fear mongering over a coworker's choice of lunch?
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2015
    Options

Helps with what?
    Reading and understanding labels and ingredients? I have an aquaintence who freaked out over "tocopherol" on a label.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Helps with what?

I would think I could do that without familiarizing myself with any ingredients by simply minding my own business. o:)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Helps with what?

I would think I could do that without familiarizing myself with any ingredients by simply minding my own business. o:)

I didn't feel like telling the OP to do that since I feared it could get me a warning...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Helps with what?
    Really? you couldn't make that sentence out?

It helps to familiarize yourself with what things are instead of just assuming their bad- it helps to have an educated opinion about wtf you are talking about- vs just assuming b/c you can't pronounce it therefor it's bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's an easily pronounceable ingredient that wreaks havoc on bacteria and is death to gardens; vinegar. I've seen so many home-made "miracle" pest sprays using vinegar. Just because it is familiar and pronounceable does not make it safer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Helps with what?

I didn't feel like telling the OP to do that since I feared it could get me a warning...

I am not suggesting the OP or anyone else do anything. I was just curious how familiarizing myself with ingredients would help me, when I could just eat something I'm already familiar with.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Here's an easily pronounceable ingredient that wreaks havoc on bacteria and is death to gardens; vinegar. I've seen so many home-made "miracle" pest sprays using vinegar. Just because it is familiar and pronounceable does not make it safer.

Just like the home-made flea and tick sprays for pets you see all over the internet. Many of the familiar ingredients are toxic if ingested (and who has a cat or dog that does not lick their fur?)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Vinegar is unhealthy? Man, I am doomed!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Helps with what?
    Really? you couldn't make that sentence out?

It helps to familiarize yourself with what things are instead of just assuming their bad- it helps to have an educated opinion about wtf you are talking about- vs just assuming b/c you can't pronounce it therefor it's bad.

Or, I could just eat something else and not talk about it. But perhaps earlnabby was talking only about those that do say it's unhealthy and not everyone.