Why I weigh daily

Options
12346»

Replies

• alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of daily weighing mostly because I would be crushed to weigh myself weekly and see an increase. I charted my weight on a spreadsheet and determined that if I weighed myself weekly, one out of every three weeks would appear like I had a weight gain. It would take me weighing myself monthly before I lost enough weight to overcome the daily variations and see a consistent loss. Trendweight.com is a great tool which pretty much duplicated my final spreadsheet and allows you to watch your trending weight and see whether your daily weights fall. I recommend it to anyone that struggles with dealing with daily loss/gain scale antics.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread but thought some may find it interesting.

I am a daily weigher and love it. Every morning, wake, pee, weigh, log it. I have learned a lot through this like what a high sodium day does to me or hot weather or a HARD workout or a big change in my workout routine - they all add a few temporary pounds for me but they truly are temporary. The fluctuations fascinate me, they don't upset me in the slightest. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, everybody has a different mentality when it comes to how often to weigh yourself.

I fully understand the concept of weighing once a week or even once a month but this can be very upsetting if you weigh on a high peak day. Look at my chart below and consider these two senarios:

Monthly
    Let's say I weighed ONLY on the 2nd day of the month.

May 2 - 239.5
    June 2 - 239.5
    CRAP! I didn't lose anything this entire month!

How about weekly?

Sunday May 12 - 237.9
    Sunday May 19 - 238.9
    WHAT! I worked hard all week and I GAINED 1 whole pound!

Both of these people are are not happy!

You be the judge, how in the world have I lost weight when I gained a pound in one week or went a whole month with no loss?

libra.jpg

Just sayin' :wink:

OP...what app or website did you get a chart like this? Just curious...
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options

libra.jpg

Just sayin' :wink:

OP...what app or website did you get a chart like this? Just curious...

For those wondering about Android, here it is on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5jYWNoYXBhLmxpYnJhIl0

(I would make that clickable if I knew how. Thought the forum used BBCode but it didn't work.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Hmm, itunes just brought up over 100 apps when I put in Libra, does someone know the designer?
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hmm, itunes just brought up over 100 apps when I put in Libra, does someone know the designer?

It is an android app but there are plenty of similar apple apps out there.

http://www.withings.com/ko/services/libra
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily because it helps prove to me where my diet is causing the ups and downs. Last night my husband and I went on a great date and I allowed myself some wine and some mexican food. Yummy and awesome and totally high in sodium. Today? I was up 3 lbs over yesterday. Tomorrow? I bet I'm back down because today I'm flushing myself with water and I have done yoga, I have run, and I have biked. As long as I don't let it get in my way, it's okay. Weighing daily helps me stay accountable to me. I tend to quickly get rid of unhealthy distractions - this is not one of them.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very important part of most people's diet and exercise routine. I'd like to give a suggestion that I didn't see. For me I like to weigh daily to see how what I did the day before affects me, especially since I retain a ton of water. (ok not literally a ton, but you get the idea) I weigh daily, and write those numbers down, but then I only compare my weights each sunday, and my measurements every 2-4 weeks.
    This may help motivate some people, but keeping a good idea on how what you eat or do affects you.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    For awhile I was wieghing daily but it was for medical reasons. I was dropping my sodium being in a pool many hours and a warm pool at that so it was a way for checking and helping me learn to see the signs of a problem earlier. It prevented me from blowing off drinking the extra electrolyte drinks which I hate. I am very thankful for G2 and others that are not loaded with so much sugar.