Body image poll

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I just live in it, and don't think about it too much. I guess I'm equally confident about my body under any of those circumstances. I do feel more confident when I feel stronger, but that's very subjective. I like the things my body can do for me; it makes me happy to be capable. With the weight loss, I feel more capable - my balance is better, I don't have as much joint discomfort, etc.

Sometimes I think I don't experience my physicality in a typical way for women in our culture (U.S.). I don't much critique my body parts, and I'm not very self-conscious about my appearance. For example, I had bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction, and normally go through daily life without wearing prostheses, just flat-chested, and am un-self-conscious about that. I gather from talking with women in my breast cancer support group that this isn't typical.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're looking for here. I am more comfortable at home and in less clothing, unless it's winter, in which case more clothing. However, how I feel about my body doesn't change whether I'm at home or not. I have a hard time equating comfort with image.

I'm sort of confused. Do other people feel their body differs by location?? Cause I can be super comfy and still chunky or in ugly clothing...

I'm interested in whether the presence of an audience might affect how people feel about themselves, and whether that might prompt favourable/unfavourable comparisons to other people, and whether & to what degree clothing influences how ppl feel about themselves. Also in people's levels of comfort w their bodies in their own private space. I admit it's not fully fleshed out as like a research question, was really just idly curious late at night & hoped people would write a lot.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who's written here :)
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mostly, I just live in it, and don't think about it too much. I guess I'm equally confident about my body under any of those circumstances. I do feel more confident when I feel stronger, but that's very subjective. I like the things my body can do for me; it makes me happy to be capable. With the weight loss, I feel more capable - my balance is better, I don't have as much joint discomfort, etc.

Sometimes I think I don't experience my physicality in a typical way for women in our culture (U.S.). I don't much critique my body parts, and I'm not very self-conscious about my appearance. For example, I had bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction, and normally go through daily life without wearing prostheses, just flat-chested, and am un-self-conscious about that. I gather from talking with women in my breast cancer support group that this isn't typical.

Wow, yes. I imagine having gone through those experiences must have radically changed how you feel in and about your body. It sounds like you are really rooted in your own subjective experience, and are really oriented around ideas of health, strength, and physical capacity. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I like my body.

clothed; unclothed, yes
    At home; away from home, yes

My clothes, in general, are occasion appropriate, slinky backless dress for a posh evening event, comfortable covered legs and arm stuff for hiking ( damn those Mosquitos.) and everything in between.
    Gardening in my bikini is odd, I know, but it makes me happy.

My body isn't perfect, it's got a wobbly belly and thighs and my arms are a little stringy, but I love it, and am proud of it.

Cheers, h.

This is lovely to hear :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Confidence at home in my boy shorts underwear and tank top. I hate picking something out to wear in public. My exercise is power walking while it is still dark out every morning. I am middle aged and there's nothing to look at here. I feel best in the privacy of my own home. I think I look good and fit for my age but.....

Yeah, I can understand this :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Wow, yes. I imagine having gone through those experiences must have radically changed how you feel in and about your body. It sounds like you are really rooted in your own subjective experience, and are really oriented around ideas of health, strength, and physical capacity. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I think it's more that I don't think I was ever encouraged by either of my parents, growing up, to think of a woman's body as the most important thing about her - as self-defining. I had the normal kinds of self-doubts and self-criticisms during adolescence, I think, but they faded as adulthood progressed. My mother (I think) may've disliked some things about her physical self, but it didn't affect her sense of self-worth. That's pretty powerful.

So, you were wondering about "the audience effect" . . . I don't mostly feel one. If I dislike something about myself (body or otherwise), I should change it if I care enough, and it's under my control. If it's out of my control, self-criticism or self-consciousness doesn't seem logical.

• jennyylee
    jennyylee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly probably naked. When I have clothes on I feel them on me and I never like any clothes I wear. I feel like I look bigger.
  • shennin001
    shennin001 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    At home i feel confident and wear less clothes, but outside i always go for loose fitting clothes. I have a very latina body so my lower body calls a lot of attention and i prefer to hide it the best i can. At home i feel more comfortable in my own body.