Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )
    Not to mention there are over 10 thousand pus cells in ONE serving of milk.

They do not "steal baby cows from the mother." Dairy farmers need calves, and healthy calves, to make the next generation of milk. Or sometimes to sell to other dairy farmers. It would be like burning cash. Sheesh. If you want to actually learn about farm practices, go talk to a farmer, and avoid whatever website is passing out this ridiculous nonsense.

Um, yes they do. They make the mother pregnant, she has the baby and they TAKE the baby away from the mom right away. That's sick. But, oh, you gotta have YOUR milk, right?
    You don't see how gross that is?

They'd be taking the baby away anyway- calves are eventually weaned- it's what's normal.

I don't have a problem with "eventually" and "normal," but that's not what is done in conventional dairy practices:

There are all kinds of options for people to obtain milk if they are concerned about conventional dairy practices.

Therefore, this is really off-topic in this thread, which is about dairy vs. almond milk for weight loss.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Almond milk! It actually could help you lose weight because it's less calories then skimmed milk which mean's you're taking in a few less calories.
    Cow's milk is disgusting and harmful to the cows. ( They steal the babies from the mother so they can make your gallon of milk. How nice? :( )

They do not "steal baby cows from the mother." Dairy farmers need calves, and healthy calves, to make the next generation of milk. Or sometimes to sell to other dairy farmers. It would be like burning cash. Sheesh. If you want to actually learn about farm practices, go talk to a farmer, and avoid whatever website is passing out this ridiculous nonsense.

Um, yes they do. They make the mother pregnant, she has the baby and they TAKE the baby away from the mom right away. That's sick. But, oh, you gotta have YOUR milk, right?

They'd be taking the baby away anyway- calves are eventually weaned- it's what's normal.

I don't have a problem with "eventually" and "normal," but that's not what is done in conventional dairy practices:

There are all kinds of options for people to obtain milk if they are concerned about conventional dairy practices.

Therefore, this is really off-topic in this thread, which is about dairy vs. almond milk for weight loss.

As one who has witnessed first hand the issues with conventional dairy farming, I have to agree, off topic and not the right place to start this conversation.

OP-I use almond milk as the base for my protein shakes as the calorie savings allow me to add other things to the shake to improve flavor.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

True if youre concerned purchase cruelty free milk or buy your own cow. I mean we could go into how almond production is nearly sucking California dry and destroying the habitat of many millions of native animals, but once again has nothing to do with the OP.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Try and stay on topic folks . The pro's and cons of dairy/almond farming is not what the OP was asking about... :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Gozergirl wrote: »
    Does Almond Milk last longer in the fridge? My milk is always going bad because I dont drink it fast enough...

Pasteurized organic milk. I don't know what witchcraft they do to this dairy product, but I swear it will outlast all mankind. Ok exaggerating a little bit, but even though it's a little more expensive if you don't go through milk fast it really saves throwing out milk all the time. I like Horizon's
    It's ultra pasteurized (so is cream) so it lasts longer
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk (with no added sugar) because I am lactose intolerant. Almond milk has added calcium and nutrients, which makes it AS nutritious as milk but with less calories.... Milk is also designed to grow a baby into an adult... & as adults, we do not need to consume that much fat.. However, I am not recommending NON-FAT milk, that *kitten* is gross.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond and cashew milk. I prefer the taste, lower calories, and less gas. lol
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have stomach issues with milk, so I drink Almond milk, love the Unsweetened vanilla flavor milk!! ;) As a kid I drank a ton of milk, seriously, lol, cold tall glass of milk, mmm mmmmmm, sad that I can't anymore. Ice cream does the same, but I still eat it because, ice cream. ;)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I prefer (Silk) Unsweetened Original Almond Milk. 30 calories and gets the job done. I switched from skim.

Really, I think it's about personal preference and taste. I like Almond milk more (and I actually do not like Almonds or any other nuts... they're just not my thing) and I like that it's less calories than regular milk. If you think you can afford the calories, stick with what you regularly drink. Otherwise give Almond milk a try and see how you like it.