Sober September

Options

Replies

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Welp, Friday is here and along with it, a 3 day weekend. Today is definately a trigger day for me. I almost always drink on the weekends. It will be challenging to say no to that beer calling my name. Especially since my whole family will be drinking around me. If I can make it this whole weekend without drinking, I'll be shocked and super proud at the same time.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Feeling good! Day 4 and haven't even really missed my wine. Drinking cranberry and soda after dinner.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Welp, Friday is here and along with it, a 3 day weekend. Today is definately a trigger day for me. I almost always drink on the weekends. It will be challenging to say no to that beer calling my name. Especially since my whole family will be drinking around me. If I can make it this whole weekend without drinking, I'll be shocked and super proud at the same time.

You can do this!!!! Weekends are hard for me too... and it doesn't help that my hubby is not on board with me :-(
    Long weekend for me too, but sadly I can't be up north at the cottage because I'm moving my youngest into University on Sunday. (Hmmmm... probably a good thing... cottage = good food & drinks)

Sparkling water & a twist of lime in a pretty glass = a good nights sleep & waking up feeling good. I'm banking on it :-)
  • VanderB_55386
    VanderB_55386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping on board on Tuesday. I have a huge weekend up ahead but I would like to go the other 3 weeks dry. I was thinking I may set a no alcohols until 20 pounds lost goal so that I have a legit excuse to tell people when I am not drinking.
    I am a drinker so this will shock a few. Who knows, maybe I will keep it going until goal weight or even beyond!
    Good luck to all of you that are dry. It is all a good thing!
    Have a wonderful weekend peeps. Heading home to be with family. :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    Since the weekend is upcoming, and I have a BBQ to go to, for a friend that is a big social drinker, I'm wondering how you all plan on saying "no thanks" when you're out with friends. Especially if you usually keep up with everyone else on the alcohol bus. Last time I was at this friend's house, I drank more than anyone. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to say NO tomorrow night. I don't want to tell people I'm trying to lose weight.
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @MyWhole30Journey You are doing so amazing, you really are such an inspiration!
  • sherbear702
    Options
    Since the weekend is upcoming, and I have a BBQ to go to, for a friend that is a big social drinker, I'm wondering how you all plan on saying "no thanks" when you're out with friends. Especially if you usually keep up with everyone else on the alcohol bus. Last time I was at this friend's house, I drank more than anyone. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to say NO tomorrow night. I don't want to tell people I'm trying to lose weight.

It's been my experience that most people don't give a s*** if you aren't drinking. I've never been to an adult party where my friends were trying to force booze on me. If I said no thanks, they'd shrug and keep on keeping on.

Just say no and hopefully your friends won't be dicks and try to pressure you.
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    @sherbear702 I hear you.. this is going to be a hard one but we can do it!!
  • Brooke1076
    Options
    @RoseTheWarrior I read a few ideas the other day:
    #1 "No thanks, I drank WAY too much last night and still feel a little sick..."
    #2 "No thanks, I actually have another party after this and don't want to start too early"
    #3 "I can't, I'm on an antibiotic for an infected toe" (no one will ask to see an infected toe) ** this is my fav
    #4 "I am meds that don't agree with alcohol for now"

Anyone else with any other ideas? I really like the toe infection one, lol
  • RoseTheWarrior
    Options
    @Brooke1076 LOL some of those are just fantastic! Thanks!
  • sherbear702
    Options
    @Brooke1076 LOL some of those are just fantastic! Thanks!

You could always grab a can of beer, dump it out in the sink and fill it back up with water. That way they think you're drinking with them
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Brooke1076 wrote: »
    #2 "No thanks, I actually have another party after this and don't want to start too early"
    #3 "I can't, I'm on an antibiotic for an infected toe" (no one will ask to see an infected toe) ** this is my fav

#5 No thanks, I'm the designated driver :smile: (doesn't matter if you don't have any passengers, you want to get yourself home safely too!)

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Brooke1076 wrote: »

#5 No thanks, I'm the designated driver :smile: (doesn't matter if you don't have any passengers, you want to get yourself home safely too!)

I get a diet coke in my hand and, if asked which is rarely, say I might have a drink later but just felt like a diet coke. After a few beers or glasses of wine people don't really remember or care what you're drinking.

I've also sipped on soda water which looks like gin and tonic. When I'm able I use a mug and fill it with water and sip it so I feel like I'm part of the drinking circle and nobody can see in and assumes its alcohol.

I don't particularly want to lie to friends or family so I try to make it a non-issue.

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Dry since Fall of 1993. 22 years...,holy cow!! I did it because my hubby had a drinking problem and I wanted to support him when he chose abstinence. He is still dry and we are still married, praise God!!!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Zephalia wrote: »
    First off - thank you for the encouragement. Second, help! lol Day one and we have half a dozen beers in the fridge. Been sitting there since the weekend and I completely forgot this challenge starts today. I'm really going to struggle to watch my hubby drink them solo. Once they are gone it will be easier but seeing them in the fridge is such a tease!

I know what you mean! The first week is the worst, especially if you have drinks in the house. Can you hide them? I pack beers behind items in the fridge/ in a special awkwardly placed cupboard which I never use. Out of sight; out of mind!

Another strategy is a bit of reverse psychology. Allow yourself to have whatever you want whenever you want it so long as... (Fill in the blank; it fits into your calorie goal, you have a glass of water first, you do something else first.)

Also try to have a substitute - mine is sparkling mineral water with lime slices. I find it satisfies my cravings.

Let us know how you go!
    I would marinate and /or cook something with the beer and after its done, it is unusable so you just dump it out..... Better then having to torchure yourself by watching someone else drink it. Shrimp is good cooked in beer: bring to boil, add several shakes of old bay seasoning, drop in shrimp and cook until pink, enjoy!!!! Or simmer bratwurst in beer and finish up on grill.... But is high calorie.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Here I am, Day 36 and alcohol free. Yesterday was a struggle, don't know why, just wanted to slip back into the old routine and have some wine on the porch and with a good movie (now finding one of those is a challenge). My hubby was the strong one, thank God, he said "no way we've worked this hard to blow it in one night, you'll thank me in the morning". He was right, I did :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    alcohol is major component of my weekends LOL and ive still lost 70 some pounds....

yall have fun though ;) deck drinking begins in 20 minutes :P
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    alcohol is major component of my weekends LOL and ive still lost 70 some pounds....

yall have fun though ;) deck drinking begins in 20 minutes :P

Not very supportive. But enjoy your drinks and thanks for sharing.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm 12 days sober.. cheers people.
    Sober September for sure..
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Alcohol free since March of this year :)

My plan is to have my first drink when I hit my goal weight (and then stick to *one* drink...)